Koke fishing report - www.ifish.net

Trout Yak!
Trout & Kokanee Fishing with Buzz Ramsey

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Trout Yak! Trout & Kokanee Fishing

Old 08-28-2006, 11:40 AM   #1
FishnMike
Chromer

Default Koke fishing report

I took my dad and a coworker fishing on Saturday for kokes at Lake New Melones here in central Calif. What a day! Hadn't been on the lake in several weeks and had heard through the grapevine the fish had moved and were tough to catch. I decided to run south and check the area dad and I had fished on our last trip. Pulled in and found the submerged island and the fish were stacked all over the sides of it, 70 to 100 feet down. Started with a pink beaded, copper blade spinner and sliver/red tape Slingblade dodger on one rod and a sliver Apex with a silver/silver tape Slingblade on the other rod. The kokes just wouldn't leave the Apex alone but would not touch the pink/copper spinner. Changed through several lures and found a pink hoochie worked pretty well too. Ended the day with our five fish each and released about 10 others. Fish were 16 to 17 inches.

Decided to take my father inlaw on Sunday. Started at the same place but couldn't make the fish go. Worked on them for a couple of hours with only a few very light bites but no hookups. I started changing lures and found a firetiger Apex with a Sliver/green tape Vance's dodger worked great for my father inlaw and I went to a watermelon Slingblade with the pink bead/copper blade spinner. We realy spanked them from then on. I also tried a chartuse spinner for awhile and they ate that. Fish moved down to 105 feet from the day before.

Funny how the fish can change so much from one day to the next when the weather, water temp, etc was the same. It was probably some of the best koke fishing I've had. Probably also the last for this year.

Fishnmike

FishnMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 12:03 PM   #2
FallRiverGuy

Default Re: Koke fishing report

Quote:

Funny how the fish can change so much from one day to the next when the weather, water temp, etc was the same.
Thanks for the report. It would not be kokanee fishing if the goto lure did not change day-to-day, and even minute-by-minute some days.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:38 AM   #3
Super Fluke
King Salmon

Default Re: Koke fishing report

Thanks for the report.