Cleaning The Traeger - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Life in General

Old 08-18-2006, 04:18 AM   #1
Thumper
King Salmon

Default Cleaning The Traeger

OK Traeger guys. How often do you clean the big plate and re-line it with foil? And do you ever take out the 3-part grill and clean it? And do you ever do fish, fowl and red meat using the same kind of pellets?

I toss the old foil and replace it every 6-10 times I cook. I have never cleaned the grill, just brush it after every use. And I have come to the conclusion that it really doesn't matter much which kind of pellet I use.

The food is scrumptious no matter what I do to it. The problem with a Traeger is that is makes you a lazy cook.

Time for CCA to now start focusing on cormorants and Caspian terns. Let's save a few million smolts!

Tillamook Anglers!!! Good people doing great things!
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 05:10 AM   #2
roadsend
King Salmon

Default Re: Cleaning The Traeger

"I toss the old foil and replace it every 6-10 times I cook."

I cover the large plate with foil and replace it about monthly when I vacuum the ashes.
I put a smaller piece of foil directly on the large plate under roast or chicken and replace it each time I cook.
I cook ribs and fish on foil, not directly on the grill.
I brush the grill after each use and have not otherwise cleaned it.
I have been told that cherry works well with every thing, but I use Mesquite for beef and alder for fish.
I prefer to cook steaks on my weber over charcoal.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:05 AM   #3
SlipKnot
Chromer

I tend to clean mine and replace the foil on the drip pan every 3-4 uses.

If the foil gets greasy, it tends to provide the wrong kind of smoke (burning grease).

It seems like I need to clean out the fire pot more often the older my Traeger gets because it won't fire properly.

HHHmmmmmmm.....ribs...chicken...brisket.
SlipKnot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 08:55 AM   #4
Shakey
Steelhead

I would agree with the 6-10 time depending on what I cooked. I vacuum out the ash usually at the same time.
Shakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 09:30 AM   #5
98ramtough
Tuna!

Slightly off topic, how do you guys like the Traeger? I am thinking about getting one. I was going to get a highend gas grill, I don't always like messing with charcoal, and I like being able to fire it up and eat somewhat quick.
98ramtough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 01:34 PM   #6
Iwish

Maybe I should clean mine more often. I have only really cleaned it 2 times in the 3+ years I have had it. Totally took everything apart and vacuumed and such. If I cleaned it (vacuum and new foil) every 6-10 times I would be doing it as much as every 7-12 days. I use my Traeger all the time. Nearly every day. Works just like a crock pot, only 10 times better.

98ramtough,

I think the safest thing to do would be to ask if there is anybody out there that has a Traeger and thinks it isn't worth it or wouldn't get another one and see what kind of response you get (or don't get). You will get many, many responses with the question you asked and I would guess nearly all of them will be positive.

One thing I will say is that if you like to fire it up and eat somewhat quick then you may want to look at an extra BBQ for those "quick" fixes. I think the Traeger can be used for reasonably quick meals but it does take longer than a gas grill for sure. I spent way too much money on one of the 6 burner Kenmore Elite models, the ones they show on the home makeover shows, great unit but I bought a Traeger about 6 months after I got the Kenmore and since then, the Kenmore sure looks good out on the deck but it's a little dusty. Get's used when I am in a hurry and don't have a lot of time or when I need flames but other than 1-2 times a year it just sits. My $.02.
Iwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 02:06 PM   #7
Thumper
King Salmon

We use the Traeger about 4-5 times a week. The main advantage is that it is a no-brainer. You don't have to be a cook to look like one with a Traeger. I have had no problems with mine in more than 2 years....

except....

The paint job is crappo. The black paint falls off and the steel rusts beneath it. Even with a "waterproof" cover. At this rate in another 2-3 years I'll have to either get a new one or get the factory to do something to it.

But compared with having to replace a gas burner about every other year this is a small problem.

I will never again be without a Traeger.

Jack Mattice

Time for CCA to now start focusing on cormorants and Caspian terns. Let's save a few million smolts!

Tillamook Anglers!!! Good people doing great things!
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 03:51 PM   #8
Bluwrt
Coho

I just got a traeger. I've used it twice. A freash steelhead and some elk meat. It takes a little longer, but it is worth the wait. Used Alder on both. Haven't had it long enough to replace the foil, but I did wash the grill after the elk.

Expensive units but they sure make good food.
Bluwrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 03:59 PM   #9
Jennie@ifish
AdminiMom

The paint job is a little better on mine than yours, I was told, Thumper... It is a newer paint style. Mine so far is good, but we have had to touch it up.

I love the Traeger. Summer cooking is a no brainer, now. Throw it on the Traeger.

The kids love it. It's always going!

We also don't care what kind of pellet.

Also, neato thing: Fisherman's Marine gives a discount on pellets if you buy enough in bulk. I bought 12 bags and I think we got 20 percent off. May have been 10%. Please check to make sure. Call them ahead. Whatever it was, it was less expensive than the Traeger store in the first place, and then with the discount, COOL!

Jen
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Whoo hooo! What a Ride!”

Jennie@ifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 03:43 AM   #10
Jaws
Ifish Nate

Know the Treager family pretty well (kids go to same school as mine). Any problems you might have with your bbq just give them a call. They will be glad to take care of it. Also for a few $$$ will restore it back to new when it gets a little ragged.

Jeff
Jaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 08:26 AM   #11
OK Deal Let\'s Fish
Steelhead

I won my Traeger about a month after I had just bought a new stainless steel bad boy grill. Now the stainless sits with the cover on it while the Traeger gets used all the time. Traeger is the best.

Team Shake n' Bake
OK Deal Let\'s Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 09:06 AM   #12
Chuckster
Chromer

I got mine last night and only did the paint burn in. Can't wait to fire it up tonight after work!
Team Boat HO
Chuckster is offline   Reply With Quote