Interstate unit for bow elk/deer - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 06-28-2006, 10:43 AM   #1
bigamefisher2
Chromer

Default Interstate unit for bow elk/deer

Anyone have any input on the Interstate unit (#75) for deer and elk bow hunting. A co-worker suggested this area. His family used to hunt it back in the day, but hasn't for a while now. He has given me a general area (Gearhart Mtn. Wilderness area), to start, but I am looking for input on whether or not it would be worth the effort (I know, I know, hunting of any kind takes effort). I do plan on calling the Bio for that area, so every little bit helps. By the way, this will be my first year using a bow, so go easy on me. Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

Old 06-28-2006, 02:29 PM   #2
bigamefisher2
Chromer

Default Re: Interstate unit for bow elk/deer

What...no one knows anything?????.......just kidding....however, any little bit of info would help....
Old 06-28-2006, 02:54 PM   #3
jvp
Sturgeon

Ok here goes. pot is being stirred. IF and I mean IF the spotlighters and legal poachers/indians don't blow up the herd you have been following all summer by killing half the herd in one day. You may get an elk. Deer seem to move to certain sides of the mountain on different years so take some time finding their area. spotlighters will tell you where. ok they won't but if your out and about you can tell. That is the gearhart area. Look at the gerber reservoir area actually between gerber and bly is or was fair for deer.
Old 07-15-2006, 07:08 AM   #4
baltz526
King Salmon

if you get back away from the roads, the deer are trained to avoid them by the road hunters, spotlighters. this is the same for all areas near sprague river. the further out from the local beer store the better. hunt the cool side of ridges, slow with the wind in your face. near permanent water. near means within 1 mile
Old 07-15-2006, 05:47 PM   #5
gottafish
King Salmon

WOW, does the osp know of all this spotlighting? I mean if thats the case then sombody needs to make a stand. I for one would love to hunt it now . I would get a bigger kick from busting a poacher than from killing a buck or elk.
gottafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 06:54 PM   #6
switchback00
Chromer

My dad knows one of the biologist who used to work in lakeview a few years back. He has moved to the coast since, but he used to hunt that interstate unit for archery elk and deer every year. He would pull an elk out of there every year he kept in contact with my dad. Of course he managed that unit so he knew where they were I am sure, but I bet you could find them if you called into the lakeview odfw office and hound them a bit. Not really known for elk but they are there, as are some big big bucks, I have a childhood friend who killed a 200 plus non typical out of there his first year hunting.