Bass fishing in the Tacoma area - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Bass and Panfish!

Old 06-01-2006, 01:09 PM   #1
jighead
Fry

Default Bass fishing in the Tacoma area

As one of the newest members of the Ifish network I would like to say hello. I have been actively fishing many of the smaller lakes in my area and would like to get/give information on these local bodies of water. Washington Lake has been a good spot for smallies. Fish watermelon jigs with a 1/4 ounce head, or fish them Texas rigged. Fish them deep and slow. Kapowsin has been spotty for bucketmouths but this lake should never be overlooked. The ample structure makes this lake hard to fish. Try fishing a senko weightless. Let it drop, then give it a twich every 5 to 10 seconds. The fish will usually hit as the senko is dropping. Lake Tapps has been a pleasant suprise this year. I have caught several smallies over 2 lbs with the occasional largemouth. Try using Senko (4" & 5") when casting to shore and cranks in perch colors when fishing the points.

If anyone has more information on lakes around my area I could sure use the help. Maps are always welcome and details such as type of bait and color.

Set it deep,

Jighead

-----------------------------------
:grin:

jighead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 03:47 PM   #2
uhmw
Sturgeon

Default Re: Bass fishing in the Tacoma area

steilacoom lake has some major bass in it(big time)with little pressure. mann lake by mann jr high school is loaded with them small pond all private acess except via the jr high school pressure non existant -bring a tube you will have the lake to your self.. American lake on the base side is loaded with them siqualichu on north fort lewis is loaded with bass also lots of lakes managed strickly for bass on the base(ft lewis) so the troops can fish- out towands the firing range civilans can fish just got to get a pass. I grew up fishing in crack town
uhmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 05:18 PM   #3
raptorschild
Chromer

Try Surprise Lake in Edgewood/Milton. I fished there as a kid and one of my buddies was reeling in a perch and a 6lb LMB inhaled it and the fight was on. My buddy wasn't too experienced and lost the fight, but i've seen other "huge" bass in that lake lurking under the doc. Very small lake and no motors over 5 horse i believe. a very hidden gem for an intelligent bass fisherman.
raptorschild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 08:39 PM   #4
sbasser
Chromer

No question, there are some good lakes in the Tacoma area. Also Oly and Shelton area, Issaquah, Renton-Auburn, Monroe, Smokey Point, etc. Some are good for big fish, some are good for numbers of moderate sized fish, etc. Several are just good instructional lakes...how to fish points, various types of cover, etc. A lot have way more fishing pressure...and ski boat/jetski activity than I want to put up with.

I've looked at Lk. Surprise and some others, but not found a way to launch & park legally, and I have been known to launch or portage my canoe from the shoulder of the road. If you can provide more info, it could be useful. I really enjoy electric-only lakes, either in my canoe or hydro-blaster with the big motor unfired.

FWIW, if the "electric only" ruling is a city or county ordinance, you are allowed to have a gas outboard on your boat, not running. If, however, the rule is by the WA Dept. of Fish & Wildlife, then no gas outboard is allowed, period. C&R, Steve (Renton)
sbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 09:41 PM   #5
ScottD
Steelhead

Have you tried Spanaway Lake?
ScottD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 06:12 AM   #6
trout chaser
Steelhead

Lake Louise had/has some huge bass in it. It's been 15 years since I've fished it.
Speaking of Mann Lake, we used to play football in it during the summer. It would dry up and we would have a mud bowl.
trout chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 08:17 AM   #7
raptorschild
Chromer

Sbasser,

you are correct about a lack of launching and legal parking at Surprise lake. We always just found a place to park in any of the visitor (uncovered) parking slots at the appartments that are on the lake, and walked little pontoon boats/small boats down to the public dock.

Some decent blue gills, big perch, and some channel cats in there too.
raptorschild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 12:24 PM   #8
shalom
Tuna!

Welcome Aboard !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My boss is a Jewish carpender *
* Catch and release all Bass .
* SHALOM <'(((>< *
shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 12:28 PM   #9
jighead
Fry

Thanks all for the info. I have tried Spanaway with no luck. Steilcom lake is one that I have been wanting to try and would like to get out to. Any pointers on where to launch and types of bait?

I will be fishing lake Tapps again tomorrow and will let you all know how I do.

Set em deep
Jighead
jighead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 04:19 PM   #10
uhmw
Sturgeon

Steilacoom lake has 3 main bodys the two most south of steilacoom bvd will be the most productive. You can launch at the only public launch I know of it is the one near steilacoom bvd. We get them trolling then focus on the spot where we catch them. Small hot shots have produced for me as well as frog parttern flat fish trolled slow -this will locate the fish then switch to bass tactics. fishing around the shallows near the interlockin bridge by the island is always worth some bass. if you cross under the bridge you can fish in the center of the lake. fish in the weeds with a wacky riged senko dark green or moter oil(I like to cheat by lowering a waky riged live night crawler). casting at the bridge pylons and under docks can be very productive too. No one ever fishes that lake cause of pollution concerns but the fish get huge from year to year we focus on the 20+" trout that hold over year after year and steel head that also run up clover creek( hot shots and flat fish or rapellas- flys also work)mostly the bass get in the way of catching the lunker trout that cruise the lake and fancy the same plugs. I woudnt eat the fish but its a very good place to catch trophy bass and long held over rainbows. It does get some water ski action so go early or at night or on a over cast day. good luck My parents live in steilacoom and I love to fish that lake when I visit the hood. I been fishing it on and off for the past 25 years some times they poision it or de toxifying it but I think they have stoped doing that for the most part and fishing has been good the last few years.
uhmw is offline   Reply With Quote