338-378 Weatherby barrel - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 04-12-2006, 05:22 PM   #1
Hogwild
Chromer

Default 338-378 Weatherby barrel

Does any one know if you can buy a new 338-378 Weatherby barrel W/O the muzzle brake? I know you can for the 340 but I've never seen one for the 338-378.

Bill

Old 04-12-2006, 06:16 PM   #2
baltz526
King Salmon

Default Re: 338-378 Weatherby barrel

you can buy any confiruration you want, if you have the money. a 30" bull barrel
Old 04-12-2006, 06:17 PM   #3
baltz526
King Salmon

now an 18" 338/378 sounds fun. talk about muzzle blast
Old 04-12-2006, 06:23 PM   #4
Hogwild
Chromer

Quote:
you can buy any confiruration you want, if you have the money. a 30" bull barrel
What does a good hunting barrel cost? And where is a good place to look? I like the looks of a plain barrel and I know the thread protector is a petty thing and I'm sure I could get over it. Since I can't imagine ever using the muzzel brake at all I would rather have a nice looking barrel.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:37 PM   #5
traks44
Ifish Nate

Hart, Lija, Broughton, krieger, shilen are all very reputable companies. A 30 inch barrel would be a good choice to get maximum out of a .338-378 wthby. I take it you wont be shooting this gun alot or will be using some other device to reducing recoil? If you are interested their are companies that offer a detachable muzzle brake that has a cap on the end.

If you dont want a muzzle brake on a .338-378 you are either to stupid to know the difference or one tough SOB(lol) :smile:

good luck!!! and let us know which road you chose
Old 04-12-2006, 06:55 PM   #6
Hogwild
Chromer

Quote:
Hart, Lija, Broughton, krieger, shilen are all very reputable companies. A 30 inch barrel would be a good choice to get maximum out of a .338-378 wthby. I take it you wont be shooting this gun alot or will be using some other device to reducing recoil? If you are interested their are companies that offer a detachable muzzle brake that has a cap on the end.

If you dont want a muzzle brake on a .338-378 you are either to stupid to know the difference or one tough SOB(lol) :smile:

good luck!!! and let us know which road you chose
I don't know what is considered a lot of shooting but today I went out to brake in my barrel and ended up shoot 2 boxes off the bench with some standing free hand shots. From what I felt today I don't know why you would need any more recoil reduction. I was shooting factory 250 grain bullets and I have know doubt you could reload them way hotter and increase recoil. I would like to get some 275 grain swift A-frames to try. I never even put the brake on but I will next time just to try a gun with a brake.

As to your last sentence I think you would find that the last part of your "either" "or" statement would be the correct answer. LOL
Old 04-12-2006, 07:05 PM   #7
baltz526
King Salmon

i think i would go with a 28" medium taper. but i would never want a 338/378
Old 04-12-2006, 07:23 PM   #8
traks44
Ifish Nate

I consider alot anywhere from 50 + rounds in a session, and yes I have worn out lots of barrels. Then again if you only shoot at 100 yards punching paper gets old really fast and there is no need for shooting multiple rounds.

I like the 28 inch medium taper thought as well, I would deff. keep it above 26 otherwise you arent burning up all the powder.

Edit: dont get me wrong I am no expert, I dont claim to be but the passion I have for guns leads me to have experienced alot. Many of the things I say on here are purely opinion and based upon my experience. If I have no personal experience I will say or not awnser a question at all. I dont want to come off like I understand everything there is to know about guns, I just try to help with some of my experiences that relate to questions
Old 04-12-2006, 07:25 PM   #9
Hogwild
Chromer

I did some looking on some of the mentioned gun barrel sites and I would do a 28". My current barrel is 26 W/O the brake. Thanks for the thoughts on barrel selection.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:14 PM   #10
brshooter
Ifish Nate

Get in touch with Dan Lilja. His barrels hold a few 1000 yard records. Some NBRSA as well. Great barrel maker. Great shooter. Great person all around.
Ifish Member #445

Stupidity is also a gift from God, but one mustn't misuse it.
Pope Saint John Paul II
brshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 07:14 AM   #11
StickFish
King Salmon

Location: Somewhere way past the bass clef. Often Tigard Oregon

I have a rifle that Dan built as story goes for a friend to take Kangaroo Hunting. He sold it after the hunt - and that rifle is just boring to shoot. Dan confirmed he built the rifle in an e-mail, and asked how well it was still shooting, I'd put together a few teen's and lots of low two's with it

I would not think twice about who I'd buy another barrel from.
Old 04-13-2006, 07:56 AM   #12
duckdog310
Chromer

As stated above, you'd be well served with:

http://www.rockcreekbarrels.com/
http://www.riflebarrels.com/
http://www.hartbarrels.com/
http://www.pac-nor.com/
http://www.rifle-barrels.com/
http://www.shilen.com/
http://www.lothar-walther.de/html/1.php
http://www.kriegerbarrels.com/
http://obermeyerbarrels.com/

Basically, just decide how you're going to use the finished rifle and get a general idea regarding specific bullet weights you'd like to shoot. Then, pick from the list and give the company a call. They can help you with contour, twist rate and finish length questions.

The average price of a new barrel blank is about $300. You'll probably spend that much again on having the barrel installed (truing of existing action and bolt, threading and chambering of barrel, finished length, etc).

Trust me. . .if you've never owned a rifle properly set up with a quality, match-grade barrel by a reputable 'smith, you're in for a treat.
duckdog310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 11:04 AM   #13
Weatherby
Steelhead

I would just use the weatherby barrel. I you don't like the thread protector cut it off and recrown the barrel. Much less money. Whats wrong with less recoil anyway? I don't know of anyone that can shoot better with more recoil.......and the 338-378 dishes it out. If you can hit a paper plate five times in a row off hand at 200 yards I'd say ok. If you can't why take the extra mental antisapation of recoil? I put a brake on one of my 7mm Weatherby's and it honestly shoots like a .243 with full on loads. I don't have a brake on my .378 close to the hardest recoiling rifle you can find. My .460 has the Weatherby brake and it will still take your baseball hat off when you shoot it.
Sight picture, Breath control, Trigger squeeze, Follow thru. You can shoot a bee-bee gun thru a window and make a small hole, and the window may stand for years. Or you can throw a brick thru it. What works for you?
Weatherby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 12:01 PM   #14
Hogwild
Chromer

Thanks for the though on the barrel. Right now I'm just trying to gather different ideas from expirenced shooters. I'm also trying to justify the extra cost to remove something that is cosmetic. It's not that bad but if I could have shot a 338-378 prior to my purchase I would have tried to get a straight fluted barrel.

Less recoil is fine by me but not at the cost of my hearing and I don't want to hunt with a muzzle brake. Your right I don't know anyone either who shoots better with more recoil if it bothers them. I do however know guys who shoot heavy recoiling rifles very well because the recoil doesn't bother them. I guess everyone has their own felt recoil limit or the amount of felt recoil that will effect their shooting. For me the 338-378 it's it. I was shooting factory 250 grain ammo and I'm quite sure you could workup reloads that would produce more recoil.

As for shooting a paper plate 5 times at 200 yards off hand what does that have to do with recoil? If the shooter is scared of the recoil from some particular caliber they would be just as scared at 100 yards as 200.

I have heard the 378 will kill on both ends and I have no doubt the 460 will .
Old 04-14-2006, 08:53 AM   #15
billc_sbio
Sturgeon

[quote I was shooting factory 250 grain bullets and I have know doubt you could reload them way hotter and increase recoil.

[/quote]

About this I'm not really sure you COULD "reload them way hotter".

I have a lot of experience reloading, but not particularly for the Weatherbys. I have reloaded some .300 Wthby Magnums for a friend, and with the powders available to reloaders, have found it difficult to MATCH Weatherby factory loads!

Those loads are often compressed powder charge loads with the powders that are available, and I'm not sure they're as "hot" as the factory loads...don't seem like it to us.

It's been about 6-7 years since I last tried.

The powder we wanted (at that time) was "MRP", but we couldn't get any of it. It's been tough to find, off and on, because it's not imported uniformly (i.e. by the same importers from year to year etc., or even at all sometimes).

Like I said I haven't tried to do this lately...

My same friend who had me loading his .300 Weatherby Mag ammo now has a .30-378 Sako.

He still has plenty of factory ammo for it.

When he bought the rifle, he bought about 15 boxes of ammo.

It cost almost half the price of the rifle itself! :shocked:

Old 04-14-2006, 09:56 AM   #16
adobe wall
King Salmon

Default a local choice, for about $375

The links to all the top barrel makers are pretty darn useful. Some of those barrel makers do not chamber/taper/or install barrels, so you're going to have to do some legwork if you go that route.

There is, however, one local (Portland) guy who holds a dozen or so NRA highpower records with his own barrels.

As I've shot against him, I can tell you that his barrels are good enough that I just bought one. Cost was $375, installed/chambered/fininished in either blued or parkerized. It will cost you a few bucks more if you want the receiver finished along with the barrel.

I can't see walking away from Kreigers for my competitive rifles, but for most anything from .22 rimfire up to 20 MM (yes, you read that right) general purpose firearms I'd give John Benjamin a try. He refuses to work with stainless steel, though, and also refuses to do anything in 7mm. He's a unique, no b-s guy and will rebarrel a rifle with no headache/gunsmith chasing on your part.

2 week turnaround time...no shipping...very accurate. He doesn't advertise, pm me if you want his number.
adobe wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 11:06 AM   #17
Hogwild
Chromer

Default Re: a local choice, for about $375

adobe wall,

Sent you a PM.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:27 PM   #18
wife&3kids
Chromer

Why would you want it without the muzzle break? Too loud in the car ? Just kidding.. My friend has a 338-378 maybe he'll join in on this thread
Old 04-14-2006, 12:44 PM   #19
Hogwild
Chromer

Quote:
Why would you want it without the muzzle break? Too loud in the car ? Just kidding.. My friend has a 338-378 maybe he'll join in on this thread
No it's suprizingly quite when fired from a pick-up window.

Actualy I was afraid that with the gun barrel hanging out the window on one of my road hunting trips I would get dirt and mud in the muzzle brake.

From shooting it the other day I don't think it needs a brake. Maybe my gun is broke because IMO it did not have the felt recoil that many have discribed it having.
Old 04-14-2006, 04:52 PM   #20
DRUNK COWBOY
Tuna!

Hogwild,

The reason your shoulder is not hurting is because you are shooting those weak factory loads :grin:

Lets jump you up to shooting hand loads pushing 118gr of Retumbo or Reloader 25 with a 250gr bullet and see if you are still as big of a man as you think
Old 04-14-2006, 05:10 PM   #21
Hogwild
Chromer

DC,

It's funny that you mention the 118 grain of Retumbo with a 250 grain bullet. The guy who is going to reload for me wants to start out with 115 grains of retumbo and the 250 grain nosler bullet. 250 grain is the smallest bullet I want to run in my 338-378. Does your 118 grains of retumbo with a 250 grain nosler shoot pretty accurate? If so send me the recipe and I'll be happy to shoot it W/O the brake just to show you how big of a man I am.

Edit:

I just went back to the reloading page with the retumbo. 115 grains is the max listing for that powder. I will NOT be starting with 115 but rather with the listed 108 and work up from there is needed. I will NOT shoot any shell that is loaded over the max listed for any powder.
Old 04-14-2006, 05:23 PM   #22
traks44
Ifish Nate

Ok I see the headline already, "man killed when rifle explodes"

I cant tell if you guys are joking, but taking a handload like that and not workin up to a load can have disasterous results. I know drunkcowboy has spoken of this load before, but taking such a load and just throwing it in a gun without working up to it is dangerous.
Old 04-14-2006, 05:31 PM   #23
Hogwild
Chromer

Quote:

I cant tell if you guys are joking, but taking a handload like that and not workin up to a load can have disasterous results. I know drunkcowboy has spoken of this load before, but taking such a load and just throwing it in a gun without working up to it is dangerous.
Actually I have been PMing DC for quite some time prior to getting my 338-378. He is part of the reason I bought mine. He told me when and if I got one he would send me some loads he had worked up. The 115 grain retumbo with a 250 grain nosler is an actual load directly out of a relaoding manual. I wish I knew what powder and weight of powder Weatherby uses, does any one know?
Old 04-14-2006, 05:42 PM   #24
Hogwild
Chromer

Quote:

Point well take. I just went back to the reloading page with the retumbo powder. 115 grains is the max listing for that powder. I will NOT be starting with 115 but rather with the listed 108 and work up from there is needed. I will NOT shoot any shell that is loaded over the max listed for any powder.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:28 PM   #25
DRUNK COWBOY
Tuna!

118gr will be a compressed load with a 250 gr bullet. My point was that this load would knock Hogwild on his but and paint his shoulder black and blue :grin:
I have seen people push this round, but I would start low and work for the most accurate load you can find. My most accurate load out of my 338-378 is with a 225gr Accubond I am at 114.5 of Reloader 25. This same load does not fire good out of my dad's 338-378 ...Each gun will shoot completly different....it sucks, but it is true.

With Retumbo, I would start at 110gr and play with it from there. Load five rounds of each mix. Remember to let your rifle fully cool down after five shots. This much powder can heat your barrel up very quickly. When these barrels get hot their accuracy drops off the radar.

Also, Try Reloader 25...it is made for these large magnums