What size rod do I need for bank fishing salmon? - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 03-20-2006, 12:14 PM   #1
Tempura Smelt
Chromer

Default What size rod do I need for bank fishing salmon?

I I recently went down to Frenchmenís Bar to bank fish for salmon. It was clear that my 7' 9" boat rod was not going to cut it for this application. I want to plunk with spin-n-glows & an 8-10 oz pyramid. What size/type of rod is best suited for this kind of fishing? Any help is always appreciated.

You cannot step into the same river twice, for the second time it is not the same river.
~Heraclitus (535-475 B.C.)
Tempura Smelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 12:22 PM   #2
SCR Steelheader
Tuna!

Default Re: What size rod do I need for bank fishing salmon?

i have a 9' 20-50lb heavy action northXnorthwest rod i can sell you for about 50 bucks, good condition. i'm sure that would do awesome out there.
Old 03-20-2006, 12:23 PM   #3
steelheadslayer
King Salmon

I have limited experience bank plunking. But, I think you might like something in the 11' range rated for 15-30 or 15-40 lb test line. I'm sure someone with tons more experience will be able to help you out more.
Immediately they left their nets and followed him. Matthew 4:20

"Opinions are like elbows, everyone seems to have a couple of em"-Phil Robertson
steelheadslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 12:49 PM   #4
Tempura Smelt
Chromer

Finding the right rod length with the right pound tess is not a problem. I found a killer North River 9' 20-50# on sale at Fishermen's for like $82. The problem is that the rod is only rated for up to 4 oz lure. The salemen said that I would thrash the rod if I was consistantly chucking 10 oz as far as I wanted. To get into the lure rating for a 10 oz lead it looks more like a sturgeon rod than anything that would be fun to hook a salmon on?

You cannot step into the same river twice, for the second time it is not the same river.
~Heraclitus (535-475 B.C.)
Tempura Smelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 12:55 PM   #5
Reel_Big_Fish
Ifish Nate

I use a 10 foot Daiwa rod rated 15-30# and 1-6 oz., matched with an Abu Big Game 7001. I stick to 6 oz of lead and do just fine with it bar fishing. I am usually at Frenchman's or Woodland Bar.
Old 03-20-2006, 01:15 PM   #6
Fshklr
Tuna

if you want to plunk for springers..then you will want to plunk june chrome and then well into the sept oct fall fish.

springers are easily reached...junies a little further out and the the fall fish (sept oct) are in 40 to 50+ feet of water due to temps that time of yr.

get an 11 or 12 foot rod rated to 8oz....it will cast 16 easily.

with the upcomming monster tides..8 to 10 oz won't due squat for getting your gear into the zone.

I use 10oz on soft tides and 12's for the first 2hrs of a 6 to 8 foot exchange..after that I use 14's that tip the scale at 15.5

stay away from graphite...as you may find a rock or two and shatter that gem....composite and fiberglass are the way to go.

most verstile rods are the black and gold uglysticks..get one rated to 30 or 40lbs XHY

my all time favorite is a fiberglass composite 12 footer..sensitive, lightweight, and loads up like a dream for distance casting later in the yr.

I bought 2 "columbia premiers" by W.W. Griggs that are 13footers...they are the bomb for june on, but a little long for springers..usually retail around $70 and they are awesome for 14 to 20oz

a diawa 40HV is the ticket to match up with 11 to 13foot rods

Good luck!

Fshklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 02:07 PM   #7
Tak3Em007
Coho

i would recomend a 8'6" rod....they're great all around....
Tak3Em007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 02:31 PM   #8
Uglygreen
King Salmon

Look at the surf rods... Back in the plunking days I really liked the Diawa Sealine X series for the $$$.

Brad
Uglygreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 03:07 PM   #9
Joe Schwab

Tell that salesman he is all wet. I've been using a Grigg/North Northwest 20-50 Heavy for 3 years off the bank and regularly chuck 8-10 oz. pyramids. I also use it for sturgeon at Bonneville. Have yet to thrash it. I see guys with a lot lighter rods than that one throwing 6-8 oz. all the time.

I've also used these rods bouncing 10-12 ounce cannonballs in the jaws at Nehalem. The only downside is their short handle. I've talked to Dave Grigg several time about getting one with a longer handle for better control. These are TOUGH RODS!
Old 03-20-2006, 03:22 PM   #10
PapaHog
King Salmon

Quote:
if you want to plunk for springers..then you will want to plunk june chrome and then well into the sept oct fall fish.

springers are easily reached...junies a little further out and the the fall fish (sept oct) are in 40 to 50+ feet of water due to temps that time of yr.

get an 11 or 12 foot rod rated to 8oz....it will cast 16 easily.

with the upcomming monster tides..8 to 10 oz won't due squat for getting your gear into the zone.

I use 10oz on soft tides and 12's for the first 2hrs of a 6 to 8 foot exchange..after that I use 14's that tip the scale at 15.5

stay away from graphite...as you may find a rock or two and shatter that gem....composite and fiberglass are the way to go.

most verstile rods are the black and gold uglysticks..get one rated to 30 or 40lbs XHY

my all time favorite is a fiberglass composite 12 footer..sensitive, lightweight, and loads up like a dream for distance casting later in the yr.

I bought 2 "columbia premiers" by W.W. Griggs that are 13footers...they are the bomb for june on, but a little long for springers..usually retail around $70 and they are awesome for 14 to 20oz

a diawa 40HV is the ticket to match up with 11 to 13foot rods

Good luck!

Happiness is having someone to love, someone to love you and someone to hold hands with the final years of this journey.
PapaHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 03:44 PM   #11
driftphish
Chromer

Quote:
Look at the surf rods... Back in the plunking days I really liked the Diawa Sealine X series for the $$$.

Brad

yep diawa sealine X 11 footer....thats been my springer plunking setup for a few years. it chucks plenty of lead, loads up nice for the cast and the tip has some play. be sure to wrap the partially exposed butt section.
driftphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 05:26 PM   #12
PaintedEagle
Steelhead

I think its all in the feel of what feels good in your hand at the store. I bought a 9'6" Okuma Celilo Saturday for bobber fishing winter steel even though its time to move on to the nooks. Oh well, the little woman feels pretty good too, but when I grab her in the morning she says "don't touch me"! Guess that why I go fishin
PaintedEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 05:37 PM   #13
crittergitter
Steelhead

I use a 13 ft. Lamiglass, that also doubles as my sturgeon rod and love it to death for both. I have casted as much as 16oz pyramids with it and never had a bit of problem. The problem for most folks banking it is they try to use to light of gear, and lead Then end up drifting down into every one else down below them. Makes for a big mess and a bunch of cranky people. You'll learn to judge the current and adjust accordingly. Have fun and tight lines!
Old 03-20-2006, 05:45 PM   #14
reelbigfish72
Tuna!

I would follow fshklr's advice to the letter. Dude knows what he's talking about.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:12 PM   #15
dcgrav
Chromer

a big one rated for A higher test line, Handle anything you catch, prefferably longer than 8 6

Red White And Blue _ These colors DO NOT run
dcgrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 06:37 PM   #16
OSU BEAV
Fry

In my experience I have found that a longer rod in the 10-12 foot range, rated in the 15-40# Range. Like mentioned earlier try to stay away from Graphite. Casting distance will be greater with the longer rod and you will be able to cast multiple set ups (two spin-n-glows). Stick with a reel that will hold a fair amount of line. Penn 321, daiwa Sealine are my choices. I have 3 different rods that I use when plunking. 10' Harrington/Harnel, 12' Ugly Stick or 11' Lamiglas all with Daiwa Sealine 40H on them. All work great for casting the heavy lead and different distances with control.
OSU BEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 07:20 PM   #17
yankemnbankem
Ifish Nate

Default Re: What size rod do I need for bank fishing salmo

Why not just make a David/Goliath sling for the pyramid weight and then just use your favorite drifting rod or a stick? Get R dunnnnnnnnnn. This thread is pretty good, Ive been thinking of getting set up for this kinda fishing for whenever I get a little time. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:48 PM   #18
Fish Finder
Steelhead

11ft for spin-n-glo, 13ft+ for wobbler. rate up to 10oz lead.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:30 PM   #19
Fish_N_Russ
Sturgeon

I would think it depends a lot on what area you are fishing.

I looked yesterday at BiMart at a 9' Okuma Celio that was rated 1-5oz, very stout and only about $40. Im thinking this might do me since i dont have a whole lot of $ to spend on a plunking rod.

For the area that I am going to fish in 8oz is plenty, so im thinking a rod that size is OK. Also I only need to cast 20-30 feet because the fish are next to the shoreline........but these factors might be different for you and then you might in fact need one of the big 12' or so rods that they use for bar fishing.

The best is glass Harrington rods, which they dont make anymore and the blanks are very hard to find.
Fish_N_Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 07:18 AM   #20
bankhog
Tuna!

Quote:
In my experience I have found that a longer rod in the 10-12 foot range, rated in the 15-40# Range. Like mentioned earlier try to stay away from Graphite. Casting distance will be greater with the longer rod and you will be able to cast multiple set ups (two spin-n-glows). Stick with a reel that will hold a fair amount of line. Penn 321, daiwa Sealine are my choices. I have 3 different rods that I use when plunking. 10' Harrington/Harnel, 12' Ugly Stick or 11' Lamiglas all with Daiwa Sealine 40H on them. All work great for casting the heavy lead and different distances with control.
or what Fshklr said.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:24 AM   #21
THEJEFF
Steelhead

I use the Diawa Sea Line x 11' rod it casts all the lead I ever need as far as I want. I can cast it farther than the 13' Grigg. I also got a 11' Okuma bank rod for my son about $50 on sale it also casts a mile and can handle alot of lead.
THEJEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 07:28 AM   #22
ringwraith
Steelhead

I have one of those Griggs 13 footers. It is brand new, used 2 times. Will trade for same condition Sealine X 11 footer (black and gold one). PM me if interested.

wraith
ringwraith is offline   Reply With Quote