PANGA BOATS - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Old 02-08-2006, 11:22 AM   #1
BigWaterBigFish
Tuna!

Default PANGA BOATS

... just back from San Felipe ... did a little fishing about some local panga boats, pretty rough shape but amazingly sturdy and seaworthy for the Sea of Cortez (24' x 6', 75hp Yamaha Enduro with ss prop). Did some look up and discovered the history of these particular boats, pretty interesting ...
New edition of Saltwater Fishing came and there is a review of a center console Panga out of Florida, construction process pretty similar to Whalers ...
QUESTION:
if you've had experience on Panga's and how you think they'd be in the Pacific NW?
check out www.panga.com and look under their history for a good read.

Old 02-08-2006, 11:36 AM   #2
skein
is on the big blue pond again

Default Re: PANGA BOATS

If I lived in Mexico I would own one, guaranteed. Here in the northwest I'll stick with my EdWing. Different waters, different conditions.

PS. I'd name it "Pinga"

Skein
Old 02-08-2006, 06:09 PM   #3
Bonita
Chromer

Totally agree with skein. They're great in those conditions, but probably just asking for trouble up here - water's too rough for that size/style of boat.
At least, that's what I think.

By the way, the boats they're showing on that website are WAY nicer and more advanced than any I've ever seen in Mexico or in Ecuador. What I've seen and been in are usually made of concrete, and more flat on the bottom...
Old 02-08-2006, 06:27 PM   #4
Reel Creel
Tuna!

P.m. South Paw, he has one.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:10 PM   #5
bajadan2000
Ifish Nate

Quote:
:Totally agree with skein. They're great in those conditions, but probably just asking for trouble up here - water's too rough for that size/style of boat.
At least, that's what I think.

By the way, the boats they're showing on that website are WAY nicer and more advanced than any I've ever seen in Mexico or in Ecuador. What I've seen and been in are usually made of concrete, and more flat on the bottom...
OK, lets look at pangas a little closer.

First, the pangas on the web site above you are looking at, start with the hulls manufactured in Columbia, then imported to Miami for rigging.

A panga will handle its fair share of chop considering the shallow draft. What it lacks in beam they make up in legnth. They will run in very shallow water and are very economical to operate. They are a very safe boat in rough water... The big draw back to having one in the NW is the weather. Pangas are open boats and offer no protection. Also, developed countries tend to add a lot of extras such as center consoles that add weight and take away some of the advantages of a pangas efficiency.

Panga are work boats. Not meant to be pretty. The workmanship and finish is far below our standards. If the panga is left simple as a tiller boat, they work great and are a very good buy. Install lots of extras like center consoles and they are pricey for what you get.

PS, Do not know of any cement pangas in Mexico, All pangas are flat on the bottom, including the one showing on the website made in Columbia, or they are not a panga.
Old 02-09-2006, 06:50 AM   #6
South Paw
Steelhead

I've a 21' panga with twin 30's. It's been to the Chicken Ranch. Works fine but there's some pucker factor involved when the wind picks up. Like BajaDan said open boat means wet. But like EDSR's PSD if your dressed for it and in the right conditions it's a fun boat to be in. I got a new boat so I'm going to sell mine.
South Paw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 09:32 AM   #7
BigWaterBigFish
Tuna!

South Paw - sending you a PM

Thanks bajadan for your comments ... the larger ones in San Felipe are all fiberglass, swelled up bows and undercut transoms (softens the ride) with deep strakes ... we caught the breeze a few times and had to do a bit of tacking but I was really impressed with how it handled and the stability.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:40 AM   #8
bajadan2000
Ifish Nate

Wow, sounds like the new molds are far more advanced. About 6 years ago I visited 3 panga factories in person. I was so impressed with how pangas handle the rough water and their versatility that I was going to have one built. The factory I liked the best only had one mold. It was for a 26' boat. If you wanted a 21' boat they could make it by inserting a 5' plug in the stern of the mold. Not very high tech. Glad to hear they are making progress.

Some day I would like to have an 18' tiller panga for river, bay and lake fishing. With a 40HP 4 stroke this combo would be a real blast.