Oregon's law on rattle snakes - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 02-03-2006, 09:21 AM   #1
fish0n
Chromer

Default Oregon's law on rattle snakes

Dose anyone know what Oregon's law is on killing rattle snakes?

fish0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2006, 09:30 AM   #2
D3smartie
Tuna!

Default Re: Oregon's law on rattle snakes

don't ask, don't tell

i wont go out of my way to kill one, but if i feel like my dog may be in danger i will not hesitate.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:36 AM   #3
traks44
Ifish Nate

Law..........WHAT LAW!!!!!!........

the only good snake is a dead snake, and anyone who has ever rode over one in a horse would agree!
Old 02-03-2006, 10:23 AM   #4
pythonwill
Tuna!

if they are in my way I just pick them up on a stick and move them to a different place. People always freak out over them when they normally dont bother anyone at all. I understand that most people are afraid of snakes to begin with but "most" of the time they will avoid people if given the opertunity. The only time they really concern me is when they are near the young kids or the dog. here is a pic of one that I woke up too in camp a couple years ago and had to relocate.

pythonwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 10:44 AM   #5
thehunt
Tuna!

same as wolfs right? S.S.S. rule?
thehunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 10:51 AM   #6
duckboy
King Salmon

Lets not go handling venomous snakes. 95% of the folks that get tagged are the ones picking the snake up.

Don't want to see anyone get the wrong idea, but the downside can be death (in certain parts of the country with certain varieies of Pit Vipers (Green Mojave and S. Pacifics).

Rather than taking a chance with a snake, treat it like it was red hot molten lead.
duckboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 10:59 AM   #7
wife&3kids
Chromer

where we hunt for deer, they are all over.. two years ago, my friends son actually fell towards one after it gave him the signal. we were on a slope and shale rock and it freaked me out. I also don't know the legality of shooting snakes, but I feel I am pretty safe from a ticket if I shoot one where I hunt. that same day, we got alerted by 2 more.. Lets just say we you can have fun with a dead rattler back at camp (I do not advise this though unless you are prepared for one to appear dead and not be)
I put that there so the know it alls wont say it...
Old 02-03-2006, 11:16 AM   #8
Lucky one
Tuna!

I heard a story about yellow jackets ingesting the poison of dead snakes and then transmitting it to humans when they sting. I don't know if its true, I've heard it from numerous sources though. Anybody know for sure?

I just go around the snakes though.
Lucky one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 11:59 AM   #9
trouttroller

Rattlesnake: It's what for dinner :smile: Tons of them up in the Wenaha canyon. Won't go out of my way to shoot them but if the're in camp. Butter and flour special.
trouttroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 12:21 PM   #10
D3smartie
Tuna!

one BRILLIANT guide down on the Grande Ronde got bit this year. Lets just chalk it up to plain stupidity, but it wasnt the first time it had happened to this particular person. Most people learn from their mistakes, others.... well lets just hope he doesnt have kids. :smile:
Old 02-03-2006, 12:26 PM   #11
waterfowlin101
King Salmon

So that's why they call you pythonwill!!

Nice pics. Same thing as a crab...hold them the right way, and the chances decrease of getting the wrath.

Just bigger stakes if a m istake is made I guess.

Jon
Old 02-03-2006, 01:44 PM   #12
Gary T.
Cutthroat

I wouldn't shoot one while I'm hunting, it might scare away the big game I've been baiting. GARY T.
Gary T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 04:11 PM   #13
thehunt
Tuna!

But duckboy, why would I shoot red hot molten lead?
Old 02-03-2006, 04:21 PM   #14
fish0n
Chromer

I my self wouldn't go looking for them to kill them but if one was in my camp or next to where I was fishing I might (I personally would be very happy just never ever even seeing one). I heard on TV that rattle snakes were protected. You guys think the State Police would be able to tell me?
fish0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 06:05 PM   #15
Land Shark
Chromer

I haven't run up on any of these buggers here in Oregon but have heard them rattlen at me in the rocks along the Powder river in the summer. This one is from Sweetwater Texas during the Rattlesnake roundup back in '89 I think. My Dad is the lucky one holding the snake. The thing with the poison and Yellow jackets I don't know about but I brought back some mounted heads with the fangs showing and was told to be careful and not get stuck by them. My cat got up on the bookshelf and chewed on the darn thing and it really messed up the poor kitty :blush:. It lived but has never been the same .... kinda goofy :tongue:
Old 02-03-2006, 06:46 PM   #16
thehunt
Tuna!

Land Shark, that thing is HUGE. The biggest I have seen was five footer that I met darn near face to face. It lunged at me in my drive way. I ran back in the house and got a shotgun and within a minute from the time I had seen it he was gone. Needless to say I payed attentino to what was in front of me when headed to my truck from that point on.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:01 PM   #17
pythonwill
Tuna!

Quote:
So that's why they call you pythonwill!!

Nice pics. Same thing as a crab...hold them the right way, and the chances decrease of getting the wrath.

Just bigger stakes if a m istake is made I guess.

Jon
I dont suggest anyone handles a rattler that doesnt know exactly what their doing. I have been working with snakes for a lot of years. Rattlers are the only venomous snakes I have handled, and im no expert with them, but I like to think I am helping by moving them.
I just dont think that killing snakes is any better thing to do then killing a dog,I would rather relocate them. I have some as pets and just dont feel like most do on this subject.

And this is why they call me "Pythonwill"

Old 02-03-2006, 07:16 PM   #18
Limbhanger
Sturgeon

There really isnt any reason to kill snakes. They keep the rodents down and dont want to bother anyone. I have run into several rattle snakes hunting Chukar and none of them were a threat. Even when messing with them using a stick they wouldnt strike. They just wanted to go away and be left alone.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:56 PM   #19
Land Shark
Chromer

Pythonwill and Limbhanger, just so you know I don't have anything against snakes either. My brother and I were invited to go along with my Dad on the Roundup. I really didn't understand why they killed them . The snakes were brought in alive and were "milked" for the venom for medicinal antivenom purposes but they could have been released after that . My brother brought a baby one ( about 6" long) back in a mason jar,......in his carry on luggage and kept it as a pet for several years. He gave it up to the Reptile Farm out in Canby finally. I guess I could hold my Dad accountable for all the snakes he caught and killed while he lived out there but it was sort of a reunion thing for the 3 of us,.. but then there are all nuclear warheads he helped build when he worked for the Atomic Energy commision for 20 years that I had a hard time accepting.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:11 PM   #20
Limbhanger
Sturgeon

I dont have a problem if someone wants to kill one for a hat band or whatever. I was just talking about people that are killing them just because their snakes.

BTW, I came across a Western Rubber Boa 2 years ago Turkey Hunting in the Heppner unit. I wish I would have had a camera in my vest. What a cool snake.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:40 PM   #21
dubl_t
Tuna!

I wouldn't kill one for the sake of killin, but I do like the butter'n seasoned flour treatment.

dubl_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 11:14 PM   #22
pythonwill
Tuna!

Quote:
Pythonwill and Limbhanger, just so you know I don't have anything against snakes either. My brother and I were invited to go along with my Dad on the Roundup. I really didn't understand why they killed them . The snakes were brought in alive and were "milked" for the venom for medicinal antivenom purposes but they could have been released after that . My brother brought a baby one ( about 6" long) back in a mason jar,......in his carry on luggage and kept it as a pet for several years. He gave it up to the Reptile Farm out in Canby finally. I guess I could hold my Dad accountable for all the snakes he caught and killed while he lived out there but it was sort of a reunion thing for the 3 of us,.. but then there are all nuclear warheads he helped build when he worked for the Atomic Energy commision for 20 years that I had a hard time accepting.

I understand how everyone is around snakes, and I dont really have a big probelm with people shooting em in some cases. hell I cant say Ive never shot on myself. But I think if people understood them a little better they wouldnt be half as scared of them. Ive been to the roundups in Tx and have eaten it before.(by the way, it dont taste like chicken :grin: ) and have seen the kind of things they do to them. thats partly why I dont like to see them killed anymore.
so back to the main reason for this post. I really cant say for sure if its legal to shoot them or not. I have never heard of anyone being cited for it before.
Old 02-04-2006, 01:57 AM   #23
elkoholic
Steelhead

You can take them at no risk of breaking the Law. They are not protected and not a game animal. It is kind of like going out and shooting rabbits. If you are going to shoot them, you still need a hunting license. I hope this helps.
Old 02-04-2006, 02:40 AM   #24
Screamin Bulls
Steelhead

Quote:
Law..........WHAT LAW!!!!!!........

the only good snake is a dead snake, and anyone who has ever rode over one in a horse would agree!
Never seen it put in them thare terms!! hehe LOL How'd ya get "in" that horse and ride him ?...Or is he one them kind in the shopping center parking lots? (rib rib) :blush: :blush: :blush: ****Grin-----&gt;

And ain't we all glad we don't got 'em this BIG in OR ?!!

Suppodly this giant breaks the scale at just over 84 pound's , Dont know? Could be!

Josh
Old 02-04-2006, 06:30 AM   #25
sliverpicker
King Salmon

Snattlerakes and I have an understanding, they don't bother me and I won't bother them!

Although they do look pretty cool on the back of a bow!

sliverpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 08:13 AM   #26
SILVERSINK
Tuna!

If you do happen to find a dead one,skinnit &amp;put the skin in ANTIFREEZE for two weeks. take out of the antifreeze ,wash in cold water, rud lots of hand lotion into the skin and put it on your hunting hat
SILVERSINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 11:01 AM   #27
Ni!
Ifish Nate

I used to kill every rattler I saw until I realized there was no point to it. I see them about once a year now - they usually start buzzing just before I step on them. Not that I have a problem with people killing them in areas with a super-high density, but in my area they're so few and far between that they provide a welcome jolt of adrenaline.

Ni!
Old 02-04-2006, 06:29 PM   #28
fishboys
Sturgeon

That one is huge, you could get 5 or 6 good roasts off of that one.
Old 02-04-2006, 11:57 PM   #29
BrianMaguire
King Salmon

Quote:
There really isnt any reason to kill snakes. They keep the rodents down and dont want to bother anyone. I have run into several rattle snakes hunting Chukar and none of them were a threat. Even when messing with them using a stick they wouldnt strike. They just wanted to go away and be left alone.
They eat mice that eat seeds that would grow into browse for the things I like to kill. I leave them alone and will even stop to get one off the road and to safety.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:33 AM   #30
Drakeblake
Tuna!

One of my prof's told me a story about a rancher that use to kill every snake he heard. Eventually he culled the gene pool so much that all of the snakes left wouldn't rattle. He was in a sence "natural" selection in action. If the enviornment the snakes live in force them to become silent in order to survive they will do so. It's worth a thought... Although....She was the worst professor I've ever had.

-blake
Drakeblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 08:41 AM   #31
Rank Amateur
King Salmon

I have seen that argument made on Oregon Field Guide, I would think there may be some merit in it. I remember on the show how they came across several rattlers on the pavement down around Frenchglen and none rattled, even when provoked.

The one I encountered while rabbit hunting last year rattled, I guess I shouldn't have him. I hate snakes! Well I don't hate them, they just give me the willy's. After I got buzzed by that rattler (about 3 foot away) I was paranoid again. On the way back to the pickup I came upon my backtrack and there in the sandy soil next to my boot prints was the S of a snake track. Hmm....maybe time to find another spot.

Team Fair Chase.
Team Fair Exit.
Team don't feed the trolls.
Rank Amateur is offline   Reply With Quote