IFish Fishing Forum banner

Seriously? Hogline etiquette at the Lewis

13K views 110 replies 57 participants last post by  gotZem 
#1 ·
Sitting at the mouth last night, and a boat enters the hogline from below, with no incident, but irritating none the less.
A little while later, a white hard top in line preps to leave. They start the motor give it a goose, and shut it off. As they get the anchor up thet drift into the guy next to me's anchor line.:palm: With help(FIASCO) they got out without causing any major problems.
After getting up and out of line he turns 180 and goes through his hogline hole :applause:catching the guy next to me's kwiks(both of them).
I tell my neighbor to thumb it or lose the spool, he breaks off and reties. He was pretty cool about it considering.
So dude in the white hardtop- enter the line from above, leave the line from above. If you aren't sure where to drop your anchor, just ask the hogline. It is a good icebreaker to be polite instead of just charging in.
And next time you see the guy with the kickass decal of the steelhead on the side(you should be able to recognize him from the up close look you got when you were pulling your anchor) flip him a couple of kwiks.

#80 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by RB'sFisherGirl
So, I'm gonna change the subject a bit here....tell me how you guys feel about loud music in the hogline.....does it bother you, do you just ignore it, or do you enjoy it???? Just curious! :what:

I think it is totally annoying myself, unless you are wakeboarding or on a party barge. Most people go fishing to get away from all of the nagging wifes voice or kids screaming... LOL
X2, I don't go to the river to listen to rude people's radios. Put a muffler on your boat too please if it is loud.

#81 ·
There will always be new people who don't know any better. There will always be greedy people who want to push you out of your spot. There will always be #@#holes that don't care about how anyone feels. There will always be groups of guys that think they own the river. Just part of fishing in a hog line.

#87 ·
What would you have done?
Sitting last night I hear a splash, look over to see neighbors rod dancing and the neighbors sleeping. By the time I get their attention the fish is gone(it took a couple of minutes) and I get an earful about waking people up for nothing.:palm:
To say the least I will be zipperlipped next time.:whistle:
Sorry for interupting your snooze, it won't happen again.

#88 ·
What would you have done?
Sitting last night I hear a splash, look over to see neighbors rod dancing and the neighbors sleeping. By the time I get their attention the fish is gone(it took a couple of minutes) and I get an earful about waking people up for nothing.:palm:
To say the least I will be zipperlipped next time.:whistle:
Sorry for interupting your snooze, it won't happen again.
Personnaly, I would find a more relaxing group of people to fish around if there are too many issues there, one of the reasons I don't fish the small space at the mouth of the lewis with the "intense" fishers that usually hang around there. Plently of spots around this stretch of the columbia that have good fishing and no crabby's :excited:

#98 ·
Old-E? Bum sauce, Not even close. Don't they drink that on Willamette?
Blue ribbon river=Ice cold Pabst Yo! :cheers:

#95 ·
:twocents:Anchoring in a hog line is an art and a skill. It's alos alot liek being a Cop doesn't matter how you anchor you can't please everybody.
I prefer to anchor next to buddies, incase I screw the Pooch I know they won't yell their heads off at me.

#96 ·
Definitely an art!!! Takes a lot of practice to be good at it...but even if you are very good with a ton of experience, it could all go bad very quickly!! As long as you can tell it's not going well before it causes damage....and you quit what you're doing....it's all good!!

#99 ·
I know that this is an older thread but Jhawk told me about this thread he started, so I thought I had to put my two cent in.:twocents:

I would have to agree with Hawks statement that it is almost always better, if your unsure to come from the top at the mouth of the Lewis. In the specific situation that is presented at the mouth of the Lewis, which is very deceitful, it is better to drop the hook from the top while keeping the main running and slip into place. This is only because, as stated, there is only about 4-10 feet of water at any given time and minimal flow even in the best of situations. The only time I would suggest differently is in times of heavy flow, with a larger vessel. I only say that because it is easier to control a larger vessel while going against the current rather than with. Keep in mind you would still be drifting down to lock in.

His frustration is from, what I believe to be; countless viewings of individuals that have tried to hook up without knowing the depth and flow of the mouth of the Lewis. Being that we have both grown up watching countless captains swap paint with others, snag lines and otherwise cause havoc; it's easy to forget that not everyone knows what we know about our stomping grounds.

So is his initial statement correct? Most of the time yes. But as said, if you come to the mouth; 1: know that there are a large group of regulars that fish at the mouth, 2: make sure there is adequate space for your vessel, 3: watch for others lines, and 4: if your not sure suck it up and ask, is there room, wheres your hook, what's the flow, where's your line? I would pretty much do this at any local hole regardless of what river your at.

I always go with the golden rule, your not the only one on the river so treat others how you would want to be treated. If it looks to crowded and your not sure what to do, and don't want to ask, it's a big river hook higher or at another spot. Your out there to have a good time and so are the other fishermen. That's just my opinion for what it's worth.:twocents:

#101 · (Edited)
The golden rule applies in all aspects of our lives. For instance the above post says to me, as I'm sure it does to others; "stop, your opinion isn't wanted or doesn't matter". Really though, isn't that why Forums/Message Boards were invented? To share opinions, even if they aren't the same as ours. To share your view to see if others share yours or differ. I do understand it's not a popular subject. But really, we have all seen it happen. We have all laughed at it. Many of us have had it happen to us, including myself. That type of post really doesn't contribute anything but a condescending attitude. I just know from my experience. Maybe your experience isn't the same. If so, something more than :palm: would be more explanatory as to how you feel. Maybe I misunderstood, is this an open discussion?:help: Not trying to be abrasive, I just thought I would share my point in the conversation while on the boat, in the line the day after Hawk created this thread. I'm just late.

BTW, those above pics of Hawk were taken by myself.

#106 ·
The part that cracks me up the most about anchoring is people will drive up through the open gap in a line (sometimes very tight gap) only to pull up the needed distance 15 yards, 30 yards, 50 yards to drop their anchor and hope they can back back down into that gap they just drove through....

Prior to dropping that anchor and dropping back into the gap the captain will analyze the scenario to see angles of others anchor lines, wind, current strength, etc....

Isn't it actually the same thing, just pulling up top and analyzing the scenario without having to do the whole pull through the line and build the confidence to drop the anchor?

For those that lack the anchoring experience that claim they need to make that pull through still tend to mis-read the drop.... I see it all the time out fall king fishing.

Just :twocents:

Keith:D

#111 ·
Hey--- I got the solution!!!! Stop those silly hog lines that do nothing but plug up a river for other "fishermen"!! Some of us just hate those things. You might think they're "productive", but covering about a square foot of water with a lure or bait doesn't seem too "productive" to me. Myself, I go stirr crazy sitting waiting for a fish to "happen" by my stuff. It's all hunting-- even if you're fishing! I mean just take a look at how much river you guys take up. Anchor lines stretched way out, then your lines way out- then you get mad at guys that are "fishing" because they got tangled in your line! or, worse yet, I lose a lure to your anchor line that is way too long in the first place, and never see it again--
gotZem!!!:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.