IFish Fishing Forum banner

Oregon Hog Hunting

41K views 48 replies 35 participants last post by  Jakiedog 
#1 ·
I was wondering if anyone here has persude hog hunting in Oregon. I understand that there are pockets of wild hogs over central. Is it worth pursuing? It would be a hoot to bow hunt for wild hogs. I really wanted to go when I was stationed down south but never got the chance. One more reason to stay in the woods. Any info would be appreciated.

#30 ·
$500 include just skinning of the pig. We did the whole trip for around $1000 which included guide, airfare, license, tag, hotel and meat processed at their local butcher that had it flown to PDX a few weeks later. The processor was awesome everthing is vaccumed pack looks like we bought at the store.:yay:

#32 ·
I would even be interested in going to California for one. I just wanted to keep my hunting and recreation dollars in Oregon. I am going to look into that guide service if fishnxtc will pass on the info to me, I PM'd him for it. I may be willing to take someone with me. I have a motorcoach and would probably drive there. I will post more after some research.

Doc

#35 ·
Hello guys and gals, The name of the ranch in Ashwood is Clover Creek Ranch. Clark Couch owns and runs it. Some of his ferral(russion) hogs got out and as you all know they breed rather quickly. I think he is still in business but why pay when they are running around for free. ODFW does wants:meme: them killed off so go over and start knocking on doors at the big ranches. I hunted that ranch with a friend a few years back with bows for the Russion hogs. We each scored a pig(even made it on the cover of "Fishing and Hunting News")they are tough and if you don't kill them they will hunt you back like prey. Hope this helps and happy(safe) hunting to all !

#36 ·
Hello guys and gals, The name of the ranch in Ashwood is Clover Creek Ranch. Clark Couch owns and runs it. Some of his ferral(russion) hogs got out and as you all know they breed rather quickly. I think he is still in business but why pay when they are running around for free. ODFW does wants:meme: them killed off so go over and start knocking on doors at the big ranches. I hunted that ranch with a friend a few years back with bows for the Russion hogs. We each scored a pig(even made it on the cover of "Fishing and Hunting News")they are tough and if you don't they will hunt you back like prey. Hope this helps and happy(safe) hunting to all !

Are you seriously saying an animal from Clover Creek made the cover of a Fishing Hunting news? I agree, they are tough..As for hunting you like prey, i don't think so..

#40 ·
My friend and I have been extensively researching hog hunting in Oregon. I can't find it now, but I found an article saying the ranch in Ashwood had been shut down. Some allegations of them intentionally releasing hogs into the wild. There was an ODFW brief showing and increase of feral hogs in the Shasta area of CA that have been coming into Southern Oregon.

#41 ·
I personaly know of 23 feral pigs that were shot on timber land east of coburg three years ago. Dont know if they still are up there? But I can give you the name of the ranchers property they might be on now If you want to p.m me

#43 ·
Feral pigs are alive and well in C.O. unfortunately. Their numbers are growing and no amount of aerial predation is going to kill them off. It's no longer legal for ranches to sell hunts for them, but landowners are still making a profit by selling "trespass fees" instead. Wild Winds
Ranch was allowing hunting but the hogs got wise and moved on. The ones I know of are still active in the Madras and Prineville areas but very nocturnal and hard to find unless you know a dozen landowners. As for guns, .223 is more than enough. The myth that they are had to take down because of muscle and bone is because their anatomy is different than a deer or bear, their heart and lungs are further forward so to you have to relearn your kill zone. They aren't tough, just ornery !

#44 ·
I would have to disagree with with .223 being more than enough...maybe just enough but definitely not more than enough...I've only been pig hunting twice but those things are not easy to kill...their hide is incredibly thick, specially a huge boar.

#47 ·
I didn't say it was impenetrable but I wouldn't recommend a .223 if you can hunt with a larger caliber. I know it's mainly about shot placement and I think if you hit it in the head with anything larger than a .22 you're likely going to drop it but I have seen them run with plenty of bullets in them...They like to crawl if you take out their legs.

#49 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.