IFish Fishing Forum banner

So anyone with wolf pics from Oregon?

14K views 35 replies 25 participants last post by  Flash27 
#1 ·
I hear alot of them being seen,but does anyone have pics?and where from?Supposedly there are a few in the ochocos.A very repatable guy I know that runs hounds saw one a few weeks ago,but no pics.

#7 ·
The low population count of wolves in Oregon can make it hard to get a pic. I spent a summer following a collared wolf in NE Oregon and only saw it once running through the woods. Our Tcams out in areas where we found wolf sign and heard howling at night with scent/lure never got any pics of wolves either. It can be tough.

#20 ·
I don't have a pic either....don't carry a camera when i hunt, but i think i'll start. I know I'm gunna hear it for even saying this but I saw what I saw!!!!
Hunting late season archery I had a wolf walk out onto a logging road in the Mt. Hood national forest and watch me for a good 10 minutes!! Never threatened me but I did keep a real close eye on him. And before the doubters start sounding off, I know the diference between a wolf and a coyote!!!! This guy was 25 yards from me and just stood there looking, as big or bigger then most German shepards I know!

Gotta start carrying a camera........

:doh:

#21 ·
That seems to me to be very odd behavior - watching you for 10 minutes at 25 yards??? I saw one at 200 yards in the Snake River unit during archery season this year. The moment it saw us it turned and sprinted away. The trail cam pic I have above was set for 3 burst pictures. The wolf was in the first pic and gone in pic 2 & 3. I think they are pretty wary animals.

#24 ·
Wolf pictures?

Anyone managed to get pictures of wolfs in Oregon? if so post?? wanna see what our deer and elk are up against! Ran into a few in hells canyon last year bow hunting. Didnt see a single elk. Saw more wolf sign than deer and elk combined!!:doh: Hope to see some pics...

#26 · (Edited)
This is the first time that I have seen these particular pictures of the re-collaring of the alpha male of the Imnaha pack. I think your numbers are a little off though, when ODFW re-collared the wolf they estimated it's weight to be around 110- 115 pounds. I also know that ODFW doesn't allow the general public, reporters, etc., to accompany ODFW employees on projects like this, so I am not sure why the person's face is blocked out unless it is the face of the pilot/organization that ODFW is using on this project, which I am highly skeptical of.

#27 ·
I spoke with one of the biologist's involved with the re-introduction said to date the largest two wolves they had recorded were 141 & 142 pounds, they came from the crystal creek pack, now known as the mollie pack. These wolves feed on bison so have grown large.
What blows me away is when you remove the pelt from these dogs they become very small. I wonder how much a green pelt weighs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.