IFish Fishing Forum banner

Do You Carry Extra Fuel?

2K views 16 replies 17 participants last post by  maximusjustin 
#1 ·
So for the guys that have their kicker plumbed to the main tank, do you carry an extra 3 gallon back up tank for the kicker in case of a fuel supply issue? I have always kept one in the boat just in case something ever went wrong with the fuel from the main tank. I figured I could always hook up the little tank to the kicker and limp on in. My wife (she is my fishing partner) thinks I'm crazy for going through the process of switching out the fuel in the 3 gallon tank every month. She thinks there is no need, but I tend to go by the "ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" rule.

#4 ·
fuel issues are usually pretty easy to deal with... so i dont carry anything.. but i know about 5 ways to redo the system if ever needed...

but i do carry an extra fitting for the fule where it goes to the kicker... hate it when I break that and cant troll anymore...

#5 ·
I carry an extra 3 gallon fuel can for the kicker (its plumbed to the main) and 2 extra fuel filters for the water separator ...
Plus a extra fuel line and enough tools to rebuild the main motor if need be ...
Yea ... I used to be a Boy Scout ... What of it ...

#13 ·
No extra fuel, but it drives my buddy crazy as I always fill up before heading out. Fuel gauges on boats to me are worthless! I could rebuild my boat and trailer based on the tools I carry though. I am the anal one with all the tools, but can say I have helped numerous people with their problems! Extra set of bearings, races and seal, spark plugs, jumper cables, water / fuel separator, extra oil, (3) grease guns, (marine grease for bearings, Duria-lith EP for jet, and yamalube for all other). Sure as heck the first time I leave my tool bag at home I'll need something!

JIm

#15 ·
I carry a full complement of tools including an full metric and standard socket set and 6 extra gallons of fuel. I had ethanol related problems before (previous owner ran gas station fuel). I have since resolved the problem but like to know that if some crud was kicked loose in the fuel line I can make it home (upto 35 miles) with the kicker line connected between the spare tank and the main motor.

I have a closed bow boat, making it easy for me to store all kinds of goodies and garbage up there.

~30#

#16 ·
I always carry a 5 gallon extra tank, but not for the kicker, for the main tank which serves the inboard motor and Yami kicker. The main fuel gauge sometimes gets stuck, so that extra is reassuring. With a huge main tank, I don't keep it filled (just to carry around all of that extra weight). I too carry all kinds of tools, zip ties, socket sets, battery charger, solar panel, greases, filters, extra clothing, food and water, batteries etc., and, another crucial item: an extra fan belt which circulates the water through the engine and heat exchanger. Also, a chopstick with a 1 tablespoon measuring spoon bent at a 90 degree angle duct taped to it for scooping the sand out of the sand trap if needed. CW

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.