3m cold shrink tubing - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Rod and tackle building

Notices

Old 04-17-2017, 03:31 PM   #1
toddsnorthriver
Steelhead

Default 3m cold shrink tubing

Anyone know where locally I can buy cold shrink tubing in longer lengths than 12 inches. Building a rail rod and need 18 for the foregrip. Can find 12 all day but not longer. Thanks, Todd

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2017, 07:24 AM   #2
ewhite
Steelhead

Tod, I live in Eugene and I found it at a electrical supply shop down here. I believe it was Pratt. Also look into using high pressure hydraulic hose. This is what Seeker is using now. Very similar to what Salty Dawg custom rods is using. Pretty much indestructible. It is steel belted and waaay cheaper than cold shrink. If you are interested my buddy at California Tackle House sells it. Good luck!
ewhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:25 AM   #3
ewhite
Steelhead

Somehow I forgot a "d" ? Sorry Toddler

Old 04-18-2017, 07:26 AM   #4
ewhite
Steelhead

Ok, I'm done. Stupid auto correct. Todd. 3rd times a charm.
Old 04-18-2017, 04:35 PM   #5
toddsnorthriver
Steelhead

Default Re: 3m cold shrink tubing

The price really jumps after the 12 inch mark. I'll look that place up, thanks for the info. I saw the posts you put up about the seekers you built, very nice by the way, were you able to find a west coast supplier for the rod build components or did you have to use the east coast companies? I hate waiting on the east coast shipping days.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:09 PM   #6
ewhite
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddsnorthriver View Post
The price really jumps after the 12 inch mark. I'll look that place up, thanks for the info. I saw the posts you put up about the seekers you built, very nice by the way, were you able to find a west coast supplier for the rod build components or did you have to use the east coast companies? I hate waiting on the east coast shipping days.
Todd, I buy most of my rod building supplies from Utmost Enterprises in Washington. They are very nice and helpful. For those Seeker builds I used my friend at California Tackle House.
You are 100% correct. For some reason when you get the longer cold shrink it goes way up in price. I think I payed $50 per 16" piece.
So a couple of options. Buy the 12" and put it on the last 12" of your foregrip. Actually, I would leave about a inch at the tip end. On a rail rod you are only really going to rest the grip on the top 2/3 anyway. I just remembered, I think Get Bit Outdoors just started carrying cold shrink.
Look at the X-flock too. It is a viable option. Unless you are going to use this rod a lot on the rail for several years. Many guys on my trip just had X-flock and it held up well.
Like I said before Seeker is starting to use hydraulic hose for their rail rods. I don't think there is a way to damage that stuff. The biggest draw back is it is a bit heavy. But if you are building a 80# or heavier rod weight is not a problem.
My buddy at California Tackle House is super cool and loves to help idiots like me You should give him a call. Look at his pictures and you will be amazed. His name is Jon Vadney. I am also more than willing to help you with any questions. My name is Eric, and my # is 541-556-6442. Take care!
Old 04-18-2017, 08:39 PM   #7
RB Drifter
Tuna!

You should be able to purchase the tubing at any electrical wholesale facility. Eoff, North Coast or Platt. They will come in sizes up to roughly 10' or you can buy a roll. It is pretty inexpensive, should only be a few bucks.
RB Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:37 PM   #8
ewhite
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB Drifter View Post
You should be able to purchase the tubing at any electrical wholesale facility. Eoff, North Coast or Platt. They will come in sizes up to roughly 10' or you can buy a roll. It is pretty inexpensive, should only be a few bucks.
I think you may be mistaken and thinking about heat shrink. Cold shrink is expanded to its maximum diameter by a ridged plastic coil.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:23 AM   #9
StickFish
King Salmon

Location: Somewhere way past the bass clef. Often Tigard Oregon

You can order it from Home depot 16" was around $36, not sure what the 18" was. 18" is a pretty long grip.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:43 PM   #10
toddsnorthriver
Steelhead

The grip is pretty long... if memory is correct I think it is 14'' , just wanted a little wiggle room. Now the 2x4 I have is every bit of 18'' long, seemed a little excessive, time will tell.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:59 PM   #11
ewhite
Steelhead

I agree. 18" does seem to long. I would guess your stripper guide is really close to the foregrip. Is that 2x4 a custom rod?
Old 04-19-2017, 09:43 PM   #12
toddsnorthriver
Steelhead

No, Seeker OSP 2x4, Bought it at the Sportsman show this year, hard to choke down the price of one so I'm going to build the rest of the ones I'm going to need.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:21 PM   #13
toddsnorthriver
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewhite View Post
Todd, I buy most of my rod building supplies from Utmost Enterprises in Washington. They are very nice and helpful. For those Seeker builds I used my friend at California Tackle House.
You are 100% correct. For some reason when you get the longer cold shrink it goes way up in price. I think I payed $50 per 16" piece.
So a couple of options. Buy the 12" and put it on the last 12" of your foregrip. Actually, I would leave about a inch at the tip end. On a rail rod you are only really going to rest the grip on the top 2/3 anyway. I just remembered, I think Get Bit Outdoors just started carrying cold shrink.
Look at the X-flock too. It is a viable option. Unless you are going to use this rod a lot on the rail for several years. Many guys on my trip just had X-flock and it held up well.
Like I said before Seeker is starting to use hydraulic hose for their rail rods. I don't think there is a way to damage that stuff. The biggest draw back is it is a bit heavy. But if you are building a 80# or heavier rod weight is not a problem.
My buddy at California Tackle House is super cool and loves to help idiots like me You should give him a call. Look at his pictures and you will be amazed. His name is Jon Vadney. I am also more than willing to help you with any questions. My name is Eric, and my # is 541-556-6442. Take care!
Hi Eric, got the cold shrink in today.....I'm thinking that it may be a bit too slippery, not sure I want to put x flock over that also, that hydraulic hose seems pretty nice that's on my 2x4 now, but how is it attached to a rod? I'm just guessing it isn't very flexible so getting the exact diameter would be crucial?
Old 04-21-2017, 08:03 PM   #14
ewhite
Steelhead

Hi Eric, got the cold shrink in today.....I'm thinking that it may be a bit too slippery, not sure I want to put x flock over that also, that hydraulic hose seems pretty nice that's on my 2x4 now, but how is it attached to a rod? I'm just guessing it isn't very flexible so getting the exact diameter would be crucial?[/QUOTE]

Todd, you will be fine with just the cold shrink. Are you putting it over hypalon?
As far as the hydraulic hose goes I have not done it yet. According to Jon, you have to ream it out like cork to fit. Then just glue it on with rod bond.
If you haven't put on cold shrink before there are a few tricks. Let me know if you need help.
Eric
Old 04-22-2017, 03:49 AM   #15
StickFish
King Salmon

I have one customer who's had several materials on his super seekers and Graphiters. First was quick grip heat shrink. It was too slippery on the rail so it would slide.

He covered that with X Flock and it barely lasted one trip.

I pulled the quick grip off and added the cold shrink. No more slip.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:04 AM   #16
toddsnorthriver
Steelhead

That's what I was hoping to hear.... thank you.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:27 PM   #17
toddsnorthriver
Steelhead

got the cold shrink on and I'm pretty happy with it, first layer of finish on and its looking pretty good so far. I didn't put on a winding check so looking into options to dress that up a little bit now, thinking of using a tapered thread wrap for that. Looking toward my next seeker blank build, couple for yellow tail and wahoo.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:50 PM   #18
ewhite
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddsnorthriver View Post
got the cold shrink on and I'm pretty happy with it, first layer of finish on and its looking pretty good so far. I didn't put on a winding check so looking into options to dress that up a little bit now, thinking of using a tapered thread wrap for that. Looking toward my next seeker blank build, couple for yellow tail and wahoo.
Use your rod bond and add marbling pigments to match the color of your thread. Then build a ramp or slope with the rod bond. Make sure you don't make the angle too steep or wrapping up the slope will be a *****. A little trick is to wrap when there is just a little bit of tackiness, to help keep your thread from slipping.
Make sure to post some pics.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:31 AM   #19
StickFish
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewhite View Post
Use your rod bond and add marbling pigments to match the color of your thread. Then build a ramp or slope with the rod bond. Make sure you don't make the angle too steep or wrapping up the slope will be a *****. A little trick is to wrap when there is just a little bit of tackiness, to help keep your thread from slipping.
Make sure to post some pics.
Or, use 30 minute epoxy to make the ramp while the blank is turning. I make the narrow end with plumbers tape and remove when I'm done with the shape. Coloring with pigment so the ramp matches your thread is a must, the thread finish gets worn out easily exposing thread. This pic is with the quick grip, but the same technique works fine with CS

Old 05-01-2017, 09:44 AM   #20
toddsnorthriver
Steelhead

I finished it up yesterday.... turned out pretty good for my first one. I didn't do any fancy designs just a gloss black blank with black thread. If I can remember how to post a pic on this site I'll do it. I just made a small ramp with thread for the winding check area. Two coats of finish and that turned out pretty good as well.