Rod holder mounting ideas????? - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 12-02-2003, 10:58 AM   #1
fishhog4u
Steelhead

Default Rod holder mounting ideas?????

I have a glass open sled that I would like to mount a few rod holders on it.
IM a little perplexed as how to mount them without drilling a bunch of holes in the side of my boat.
Any helpful hints would be GREATLY appreciated

Old 12-02-2003, 12:02 PM   #2
DJFISHS2XS
Steelhead

Default Re: Rod holder mounting ideas?????

I have a lund with 2 down riggers on the back they both have rod holders attached, buT....I fish mostly for kings but often have My daughter and my fishing buddys sone with us. I like to put a extra rod out the back shallow for humps/silvers etc so the kids can catch a few to keep them entertained. on lunds there is a place to mount a fishing chair high on a step-up just forward of the motor. (like a bass boat) I got the pedistal with out the seat from the lund dealer, cut out a square piece of wood about 12 by 8. (its pretty thick)on the bottom I mounted 4 L brackets around the circumference of the pedistal and used a muffler clamp to tighten them on. nexet I drilled a 2 inch hole centered above the pedistal "instant net holder" next I mounted 2 scotty rod holders upright and cantered out. I can fish 4 poles and the nets out of they way but easy to grab when needed.
DJFISHS2XS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 12:31 PM   #3
Lundman
Coho

Drilling holes was an option that I didn't want. It was going to be painful drilling holes in my largest monthly payment. Instead I opted for the rail solution. This gave me the ability to re-position the rod holders after the TWO holes had been drilled. But they have the extra feature of being a HAND RAIL for holding onto.

Cost was about $30 per two foot of stainless steel railing. Available at any marine store.
Old 12-02-2003, 01:29 PM   #4
cully
Ifish Nate

Scotty sells a clamp mount rod holder. No drilling needed. I did not want to drill into my wood driftboat and this mount works well for me. Not cheap. Clamp mount, holder =48 dollars.The clamp mount and holder are sold seperatly. Take a look see at Scotty's web site. No I'm not connected with Scotty , just had the information because I just did this.
Old 12-02-2003, 01:35 PM   #5
twoboy110
Steelhead

Take a look at the mounts that North River has made for their sleds - some fellow in Portland makes em for them - don't know who it is but they work well and he may have a model that would work on your boat. Happy hunting
Old 12-02-2003, 01:43 PM   #6
Keta

Mine would be much better but my wife wouldn't let me mount it on the boat. We tried to get it on Miss B but Mell's wife got mad at both of us. Then when were about to put it on the Manaki we realy got in trouble. Now I have to get rid of it :depressed:
Old 12-02-2003, 01:46 PM   #7
Miss B Haven
King Salmon

Location: Mountaindale- between the Girl Scout Camp and the Nudist Camp :)

Keta- you bad!

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always gotten.
Miss B Haven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 02:28 PM   #8
El-Kabong
Sturgeon

Location: Out on the edge of an empty highway, Howling at the blood on the moon

fishhog4u,

Cabelas has some nice clamp on holders (just like the scotties) cheaper also ($26), as you can buy a rod holder and clamp vs. scotty where you buy the full rod holder then also buy the clamp on attachment.

here

EK

[ 12-02-2003, 03:29 PM: Message edited by: El-Kabong ]
things you shouldn't understand

El K is exactly right

Team Savage
El-Kabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 02:54 PM   #9
fishhog4u
Steelhead

I just love this forum. People are SOOOOOO helpfull!!!!!
all of you that responded, Thanks for the tips.
And Keta, email me your "colorful" pics. Im not scared, or am I ??? :shocked:
Old 12-02-2003, 03:36 PM   #10
dlgobeavs
Chromer

Before you go buy a rod holder go look at the powder coated models by Down-East.

http://www.down-east.com

I've had them on two different boats and they are BULLET PROOF!!. As a bonus, they quick release by pulling the rod straight towards you... instead of up and out. This quick release allows you to set the grab the rod and set the hook in one clean motion. How many times have you grabbed for your rod and lost the fish while you tried to get it out of the rod holder?

Down-East rod holders were my first purchase when I got my new boat. I have one set mounted to the side rails, and another pair that I can bolt to the transom when I am fishing more than two people. Neither required me to drill any holes in my boat.

Does anyone else use these great rod holders??

Dave
dlgobeavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 04:31 PM   #11
SteelieSlammer
Chromer

I have your typical open bow boat and I used the water ski pole mount behind the motor. I then took a 3 ft long piece of pressure treated 4x4 wood and with the use of a few mounting brackets and attached it to the ski pole. It then can be removed if i am not fishing. There you have it, instant pole holders with out holes in your boat. It also turned into a great surface to cut plug herring for that perfect spin.
Old 12-02-2003, 11:04 PM   #12
Keta

fishhog,
Do you have any objections to “off color” pictures being e-mailed to you? I have a picture of the perfect rod holder set up but can't post it.