IFish Fishing Forum banner

Ilwaco

2K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  RKB 
#1 ·
The last couple of years the kid and I have scrambled for moorage in Ilwaco in August. Finaly wised up and sprung for the annual moorage and now will call M24 home. Two questions, how many dogs call Ilwaco home port, and, anybody interested in helping a couple of bottom fishing rookies?
We made a few feeble attempts at bottom fishing last year over the sunken jetty and look forward to expanding our Ilwaco fishing possibilities. that springer fishing just aint cuttin it.

#3 ·
Jerry, Is the Miss Active still there? It's a 45 or 50 ft Hattaras. It was my Dad's best friends boat. Went fishing on it about 15 years ago, still have the pics. :hearton: judyfish99

#4 ·
Rod Holder,

Ilwaco has been my primary fishing port for 25 years. We have 2 boats moored on G dock (49, 51). My boston whaler is the only one moored there. Both boats are out of the water since they are redoing G dock and should be finished by May. The Bottom fishing out of Ilwaco is one of the best kept secrets on the coast. We put over 60 lings in our boat this year ranging in size from 8-28lbs :smile:. Also, we catch a variety of other bottom fish but almost strickly hunt lings. We get Cabazon frequently in the 10-15lbs range as well. The sturgeon fishing is quite good as well. My wife and her daughter caught 26 sturgeon in a period of 4 hours last year in Baker Bay. They were whipped when they returned. Crabbing is very good as well late in the season (September thru November). We tagged over 230 salmon last year (78 Chinook)out of Ilwaco. I look forward to meeting you and would be glad to show you the ropes. Having another friendly boat out on the blue is always a good thing. There is a group of us that fish together on a regular basis and you will be welcome to go out with us. Our group monitors 69 on the VHF and 13 on the CB. My handle is "Price's Whaler".

#6 ·
Iam building a car dealership in Warrenton.I have 26'Marlin I will be down here for about 6 months I would love to hook up with some of the locals and fish the big blue with you.Stop by the job and we can talk.855 hwy 101 Warrenton Or.Oceancrest Chevrolet. :smash: :smash:

#7 ·
Rod Holder,
Last couple of years dad and I have called Illwaco home but we don't moor there. WE just lauch everytime but I don't fish weekends either so it is easier. Would love to catch up with some of you guys out there and learn the bottom fishing. Also sturgeon in baker bay?? Wow I really need to lean that. :smash: :smash: :smash:

#8 ·
Hey all, we sure enjoy the whole Ilwaco fishing scene and I think getting to know some of the neighbors down there will make it even funner. I look forward to bumping into you folks on the docks, or, on the radio. I drive a C-Dory named Blue~C. We'll start being regulars down there in a few months when the Sturgy fishing heats up.
I'm jazzed, I was at Bobs today fondling jigs and other salty stuff..can't wait

#9 ·
"Price's Whaler"
I met you folks in Packwood last year, didn't realize you guys were on the forum also. Happy to see that you are, my boat isn't ready for the ocean openning, may make it for buoy 10 .....

Ross

#10 ·
Whoa, Hunter I remember you. We met in a restuarant in Packwood. Wow, what a small world. Come by and see us on G dock when you get your boat in or give us a hail on VHF 69. Look forward to seeing you. :cheers:

#14 ·
Re: Ilwaco - Weekend Report

Saturday was BEAUTIFUL!!! Calm water, no wind. We dropped our crab pots north of the "A" jetty just before high tide. Then went back to the submerged jetty and bounced a white grub off the bottom. Very productive. See attached photo. The crabbing was not productive. Full pots but mostly female. Not quite 1 limit for 6 pots.

Sunday was not so good. Again we dropped our pots on the north side of jetty "A" then tried to fish. The current was running too strong so we gave it up. The crab pots again were full of females. Only 7 keepers for 6 pots.

#16 ·
Whaleraddict, you are my next door neighbor for about two years now and I have never met ya. G 53 is my slip. White 23' Trophy called "Cindy Lou". Will be seeing you in July when I bring her up for the season this year. I have a place up in Ocean Park that I stay in during the summer. I love that area and my wife just can't get enough of all the antique shops and things to do on the Peninsula. I'll look ya up. :cheers:

Royalfish hangs out on G dock sometimes too. Hey Kevin, did you get a moorage on G this year?

#17 ·
Rod Holder- you may want to change docks now that you know you're Bernies neighbor! :grin:

I'm not in Ilwaco, my passport expired so they won't let me across that dang bridge! :jester:

Several of us Salties summer across the big ditch over in Warrenton. I'm sure we'll see you in the Salt! :cheers:

Hmmm... ever been Tuna Fishing?? :dance:

#19 ·
Well the good news is the lady in the port office said it wouldn't be to big of a deal to change docks.
I think with NAFTA, they've relaxed the entry requirements, I think most anybody can enter WA now. I'll keep an eye out for ya.
Mr Fisherman and Greybeard have put bugs in my head about Tuna fishing but I'm leary of taking on another addiction at this time, some day perhaps I'll weaken.

This weekend looks like it may be a nice one for a little crabbing and bottom fishing fun, maybe we'll run into some ifishers

#20 ·
Hey Bernie,
Ya gotta watch that Whaler Addict and his wife, they are full of fish stories. :cool: There is hope for them due to the fact that on board their floating home is something cold and wet and may require ice. :dance:
I am still over at "L" due to the $$$ and the fact that I don't need shore power. G dock is a cool place to hang out and I will be over there alot this summer. Plan on putting the boat in the water in May and hitting it hard. :yay:
Hope to see ya at the TA meeting tomorrow.

Kevin

#21 ·
Catch and Eat, I look forward to meeting you this summer. We will start fishing for sturgeon in May and will be down virtually every weekend till December. Royalfish is one of my best friends and we have been fishing and clamming together for over 25 years. WOW, I can't believe I've put up with him for that long :grin: He is a great fisherman and skipper and has taught me and my wife a lot :bowdown:. We plan on chasing Tuna this summer. Can't wait.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.