IFish Fishing Forum banner

Wickiup 2016

89K views 330 replies 86 participants last post by  EagleEye 
#1 ·
I haven't seen this thread yet, so I thought I would start it.

Here are my thoughts, this year, big fish with about as many as last year. Next year big fish with not as many. The reason why, low water(Wickiup was drawn down to 8%!) and with all the predators(Browns, Bass, Catfish, and Rainbows) the fry population was probably taken advantage of.

I for one is looking forward to April 22!:meme:

Let the reports flow!!

Aufish101

See less See more
#37 ·
We are home and cleaned up.

We arrived just at the ramp just after 5:00AM. We were on the water shortly thereafter and fishing by 5:20ish. The weather wasn't looking great, but was actually ok, at first. A squall came in after sunrise. The rain came down, the wind whipped around a bit and it was difficult to navigate. Once the squalls kind of died down, the weather wasn't really bad. During those first little episodes of wind and rain we did get cold, but we had the heater going inside and were able to stay warm. Mid-morning the wind changed and weather was no longer a concern.

We had three on our boat. Me, dad, and my father-in-law. We didn't fish deep. We never caught a fish when the downrigger was below 10'. We lost many fish. We (I) lost some because I couldn't wait for the net to arrive. We lost several that flipped off near the boat. Even more were lost due to acrobatics shortly after takedown. Had a couple of doubles and one triple. We ended the day about 2:30PM with 25 kokes and one brown. 11 of the fish were 14" cookie cutter fish. Six were over 17". Two were over 19". The brown also went 19".

Saw and spoke with Jimi Nugent in the parking lot. We took out right at the same time. Saw fish-on-bend and Angler of Repose in the fish cleaning station. Marty was sure to inform me that he really only used 7 minutes this morning to be ready!

Here is dad and my father-in-law with the catch.

#39 ·
Like Canes says weather was a little iffy at the jump but really settled down and was great compared to the forecast. We probably started fishing about 5:20 or so. Lost the first fish in the dark and I wasn't sure initially it was a koke because it was so big. But after catching 3 fish at 20" I am sure that first fish was another monster kokanee. Never seen them so big this early in the season. Had ten fish or so 18"+. Standard fare pink and orange micros at 10' on the rigger behind PPT gold teardrop. Surface rods with PPT Big Eye dodgers flatlined with orange/yellow and pink/purple flies. Also had some good stretches on black and silver spinners, at one point five hits in a row before you could sit down after setting the down rigger down to 10-12'. Bite was red hot until about 9:30 then went quiet. Pulled the plug at 1:30 with 60 kokes and 1 rainbow. Was hoping to get my son out today but he had a field trip he had to make. He was bummed today when he got home. Taking him for a bit in the morning and hope he can get into one of those PIGS.

Attachments

#40 ·
Nice reports!!! Im planning on going to Wickiup for my first time this year in my Hobie kayak. Hoping to catch some bigger kokes than my local detroit. Any tips on which ramp is closest to better fishing? Gull point? I can launch virtually anywhere i can roll my kayak down to as well. feel free to pm me thanks!!!

#41 ·
Wow, fish looking amazing again!

Deschutes Arm? Davis Arm? All over? lol

Now I can't wait to go...guess I'll start sorting tackle and make a few local companies happy with me when I spend too much $$ again. Occurs to me I need another rod and reel, too.

Never enough toys.

#43 ·
Fished with Tom ( Rum runner) in his boat and Marty (angler of repose) joined us. Got out and fishing by 5:15. Had a steady morning and things got quiet around 10:30. Fish were hitting almost everything we put out there. Didn't make a lot of lure changes. Finished with 43 kokes 1 rainbow and 1 brown. The high point was 5 rods going off at once and landing all 5. I've never seen the fish this big and fat on the opener. Going to be a great season!

#45 ·
Canes...I was good to finally meet you in the flesh. We've posted back and forth a few times and now I have a face to put with the name!
As Joe said, the fishing was GREAT!
Joe started it off with the first pig (sorry for the sideways pictures, I'm not sure what happened)

Better picture next to the scale

On our way to 43

Finally, me wishing this 18" rainbow good luck as we let him live another day

What a great day of fishing and friends. Thanks Tom for hosting us in your boat. I am really impressed with how you have it down to a science!

#49 · (Edited)
My son had to miss out on the opening day fun so I begrudgingly :wink: headed back out today. Did let my Dad sleep in an extra hour this morning. Hit the water just after 6. A little more wind today and cooler but no real rain showers. Fish were a bit less interested but still found plenty to keep us busy. My son's toes were freezing but when a fish hit he was ready to go.

Same tactics as yesterday. Micro hootchies in pink, yellow/orange, reds were all catching on down riggers 10-12' with longer setbacks. mini pink hootchie on the surface was also catching consistently.

Had a few pigs today. Biggest was 19.5" and weighed in at 2# 11oz. Very interested to see what size they are by end of July.

Attachments

#51 ·
I got a rare week off work, so we put together a quick trip for Tuesday thru Thursday my dad, uncle and my 6 year old son. I can't wait my boy still talks about his first Kokanee that he caught last year a nice 18". I'm going to pull the heaters out of the drift boat and get them set up today, other than that any suggestions for keeping the kid warm he's got gloves and a mad bomber hat.

#64 ·
My son and I fished Wickiup for the first time from 8-12 yesterday mostly on the north end of the lake. We only picked up one nice kokanee and talked to several other boats that were having tough luck also. Pulling out, a boat with four guys had about 10-12 nice fish with a couple hogs around 18"! It snowed a little, sleeted some and then the sun peaked out so weather conditions weren"t ideal. I'll give it another try when the weather warms up in a few days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.