IFish Fishing Forum banner

Outboard and Anchor setup on a Clackacraft DB

6K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Beefcake 
#1 Ā·
OK, here goes.....

I decided on a Clackacraft DB....please no discussion on Aluminum vs glass, I've been there done that....

I definitely want to power it for the frogwater and backtroll etc. Question is; should I hook up a bow anchor, and leave the rear anchor apparatus for when not using a motor, or offset the anchor arm to the side?
Is there noticable balance weirdness and/or tracking-at -anchor oscillation with side mount?

...and how obnoxious is a bow drop anchor to use .....redirecting etc...

Which motor?

Thanks,

Kurt
BTW..I decided against a jet in favor of a DB.....

#2 Ā·
I'm not sure what the best solution is but I used a bow anchor on mine when using the trolling motor with good success. I also just removed the rear anchor hanger when using the motor as it was only held on with three bolts. Pretty easy to swap it on or off. Bow anchor keeps all the rod holders pointing toward the rear of the boat just like they should be if trolling up or down stream.

#3 Ā·
I have a clackacraft db. When I ordered the boat I had them offset the stern ancor pulley to the side. It works great. I can put my honda 5hp on without having to pull off the pulley. Good choice of boat. I have had a couple of DB's and in my opinion nothing compares.

good luck
james

#5 Ā·
another thing to think about is the combined weight of the outboard and full size anchor both at the stern. My clack seems to ride better (not plow as bad) with the anchor on the bow. Then again, I rarely use my anchor in tidewater anyways, so it really doesn't matter if you even just keep the anchor/rope in a bucket and put it anywhere in the boat you like.

#6 Ā·
You guys are awsome....this really helps. I've debated electric 80-101# thrust motors, but battery weight is substantial, not to mention the prep and maintenance that detracts from the sponteneity(sp?) of this boat. I think I am going to lean toward the outboards, and install a bow anchor while keeping the rear anchor for use without a motor. Do I use a longshaft motor on a driftboat?

Kurt

#7 Ā·
Normally I would say that you need a longshaft for a drifter, but we used a shortshaft on a friend's Clack a couple of years ago and it was fine. I'd check with Bruce or Marty to see what they reccomend.

One word of warning: the transom on a Clack is slippery, which makes it easy for your newly-acquired motor to fall overboard (the vibration of the motor loosens the mounting screws ever so slightly, and next time you go over a wake or bump the slippery transom allows the motor to just slip off). Don't ask me how I know (luckily I had tightened all of the fuel line connections properly so we were able to pull it up by the fuel hose instead of losing the motor forever). What I am getting at is that I would strongly reccomend one of those rubber transom pads as well as a safety cable on the kicker.

#8 Ā·
I run a 4 stroke 8hp Honda long shaft on my Clackacraft 16', it pushes me quite nicely. I'm thinking about installing a Dolefin on the lower unit to help keep the bow down while under power.

I remove the anchor bracket to install my outboard. Be sure that you drill holes to mount your motor through the transom, use a sharp bit and drill slowly and you won't have any problems with hairline fractures.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.