IFish Fishing Forum banner

best pastrami

4K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  fishboys 
#1 ·
im looking for the best place to get a california style pastrami sandwich in oregon, not the european style either,

thanks

#2 ·
California style? As in Johnny's Pastrami in Culver City? Where they steam the pastrami that must be 50% fat, then the dip the hoagie roll in the juices, slather mustard on the soggy bun, pile on the meat, and it's impossible to eat without dribbling down your chin and wearing half the sandwich? That kind of California style?

Gosh! I've been here for over 23 years and I've yet to find one!

#6 ·
If you like great sloppy sandwiches ... although not pastrami, I like the pork sandwich at a food cart in Portland on SW 9th and Alder named the People's Pig". Warm, moist, fatty slices of pig on a great toasted roll with olive oil, onions, minimally dressed (few veggies). Known as simply the "porchetta". My son calls this a "manwich"

good eats!

#9 ·
I've never really cared for Pastrami or Corn Beef for that matter. We went to Kenny and Zukes for lunch last weekend and I have to say their pastrami is incredible. I know it isn't the wear on your shirt style you are looking for but the smokyness and cure were just wild good darn stuff.

#12 ·
There was a thread on here awhile back showing how to make your own Pastrami. Once the weather gets better I'm gonna take one of my elk roasts and give it a try. If all goes well I'll have to look up on the internet about this cali style samich....................

#16 ·
My first attempt at brining/smoking an elk roast last year, was just kinda OK, a little dry.

For St Patty Day, I'll be using a marblely fat beef brisket, I think the brine penetrates better because of the fat content. Just my theroy.

Four Seasons near the old Beaverton GI Joes has great pastromi.

Good luck, T

#20 ·
Only place in town I know that has Cali style Pastrami is Togo's, on the Beaverton Hillsdale Hwy at SW 99th. Never been there, but there used to be another one in Tualatin that I stopped at now and again. Very good pastrami, but not the best. ( They're a chain. )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.