IFish Fishing Forum banner

Elk & Sixes River Flow Data?

14K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  hike4fish 
#1 Ā·
I have been looking for Elk and sixes river River flow data. Usually USGS has a flow graph and sometimes even a projected flow. Does anybody have a link? Also wondering what the optimum flow are for salmon and steelhead? Thanks for any help!

#3 Ā· (Edited)
The Elk River Hatchery updates their gauge every morning and you can get the reading by calling 541-332-0405. There is a web site that posts the gauge reading and can be found at www.fishportorford.com

There is no gauge on the Sixes, the Elk is a good proxy for the Sixes. Figure that the Sixes will be ready to fish one day later than the Elk. The Elk is fishable from 4.0 to about 6.2.

As for projecting the flow, you are on your own like me. There is no flow graph and projected height like you find on the NOAA AHS or USGS sites. The closest NOAA gauge to the Elk/Sixes is found on the South Fork of the Coquille at Powers. It usually rises and falls about the same as the Elk, but since it is on the backside of the ridge that forms some of the headwaters of both streams it can have some differences. You can look at the SFCoquille flow and also look at the rainfall amounts on the RAWS stations near the Elk, like Long Prairie and Bald Peak. If you watch those rainfall amounts for long enough you will be able to guesstimate how the Elk will respond to the rainfall totals at the RAW stations. More than that I can't tell you. Good luck!

#4 Ā·
Go to fishportorford.com. This site will give you pretty good updates on river conditions including levels, rainfall and sometimes fish availibility. Generally speaking 5' is considered optimum on the Elk, however if you fish often expect a range of 4'to 6' and the appropriate range of techniques. The Sixes generally comes into shape a couple of days after the Elk and fishes better after the Elk gets a bit too clear. :twocents:

Good Luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.