IFish Fishing Forum banner

Deschutes Steelhead Question

4K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  oregonoutdoors 
#1 ·
I'm giving the early chromers a shot this week, hiking/biking up from the mouth. I've never targeted steelhead on the D and although I normally fly fish, I'll be tossing spinners.

Question is, what type of spinners will work best but more importantly, how do I fish them effectively? Slow/Fast retrieve?

I have blue fox spinners in size 3-5 in a variety of colors. Will those work best or should I take Mepps, other spoons, etc?

I have 8 lb test and figure I should change that to, what, 12 or 14lb?

PMs welcome , I'll be glad to report back with specifics (to those who help :D)

#3 ·
I like to use the size 4 spinners or steelies.Cast them up stream like drift fishing,let them bounce along the bottom and swing all the way to end while the lure pulsates and hold on.The majority fish will smash it on the swing.Don't forget to takes some plugs and a cooler of cold frosties.
McSteelhead

#4 ·
I also mostly use size 4... it's big water, so I prefer the extra weight over the 3, but not so much resistance as a 5 when it swings down below you. BFs are fine and I like the choice of colors, but I also use home-built that are a bit heavier and ride deeper depending on the spots.

For line, the flow is usually pretty heavy compared to what I'm used to and it doesn't run too clear, so I bump up to 10# minimum (normally use 8 for most summer situations). 12# would be OK, but I don't like to go too heavy because it creates more drag in the water and tends to belly in the current more so the spinner doesn't track as well.

Seems like it should be well-suited for spoons, too, but I've done well enough w/ spinners I haven't ever changed it up much (aside from fly-fishing instead some trips).

G
#5 ·
With Blue Fox's I have recently stopped using the attached hook with training wheels and gone with the single point. The result is less hang ups and more confidence fishing right off the bottom. Too soon to say if I am hooking more.

Blue, purple, chartreuse, copper, and black all work well on the big D.

Good luck,

DD

#6 ·
With Blue Fox's I have recently stopped using the attached hook with training wheels and gone with the single point. The result is less hang ups and more confidence fishing right off the bottom. Too soon to say if I am hooking more.

DD
I've done that myself, but have gone back to the trebles on the Deschutes b/c some of the adult steelhead there are small enough that with the included Siwash's, you'll hook them in the eye. I think the included Siwash's are great for salmon, but just too big for steelhead. Also, I've probably caught 100 Deschutes steelhead on BF's and cannot remember one that straightened a hook on a BF. Of course, a lot of that's all about the rod and the fisherman too. I have had them straighten a #1 Siwash. (VMC)

#7 ·

Blue, purple, chartreuse, copper, and black all work well on the big D.

Good luck,

DD
I have minimal experience fishing the D for steelies, however I have thrown a heck of alot of spinners for them on other rivers over the past couple of years. Keeping contact with the bottom through out the retrieve is key. Put it right in their face, just like drift gear, cast up and accross at a 45 degree angle & work the bottom on the sweep down through.

That said, I have found blue foxes w/ the trebel hook to be about the snaggiest dang things ever invented. I also found them tough to keep in the strike zone when fishing faster water & nearly impossible to keep down on an upstream retreive without upping the size of the lure or adding lead up my leader - which often compounded the problem with hang-ups on the bottom.

I have no doubt that this is due in part to my specific tecnique, - Given the populartiy of these lures & the success other Ifishers have had with them. However, I'd suggest you toss a couple of #15 panther martins in your box for the trip as well.

I have really improoved my success by fishing a heavier lure with an inline blade - Like the Panther Martins. The inline blade provides great action while giving less resistance in the water. This, combined with a heavier lure weight & narrower lure profile allows me to maximize the amount of time I keep each cast in the strike zone - I get down to the bottom faster and stay there through the drift & on the upstream retreive. - I have had several fish smash the lure while reeling back up stream in 1'-2' of water.

I have also found that they are not nearly as snaggy as the BF's even though I am keeping much longer & stronger contact with the bottom. Best I can figure, this must be due to the way the in-line blades are Made, mounted, & spin - They are heavier & encircle the shaft of the lure & seem like they tend to help deflect the lure off of the rocks.

Anyway, for a guy looking to toss some spinners for steel that's the $.02 I have to give that cost me a few hundred to get:wink:.

Best of luck to you

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.