IFish Fishing Forum banner

Halibut Dates Yet??

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  ron m 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any idea what the dates for the all depths Halibut season is yet. I have been planning my leave home from Afghanistan and it looks like May 26th is the soonest I'll be able to get out of here. If the season goes into the first week of June, I'll be home free. If not, it will be Bottomfish and Springers on the Rogue, not that that's a bad second choice, but I would like to put a couple of Butts in the freezer.

#2 ·
The fixed dates will be over about June 2 or so, but it's very unlikely that will be the end of the spring season. My guess is there will be at least 1 and likely will be two make-up weekends. Could be more make-up weekends and if we get really good weather in may, perhaps we'll only have the fixed dates. But realistically, when was the last time we had really good weather for even one weekend in May? I don't recall having 2 weekends with really good ocean conditions in May.

Lynn told me the staff met and the recommendation from the ODFW staff to the commission will be scenario 3.
ron m

#3 ·
Thanks Ron. I remember reading a thread explaining the 3 scenarios, but I haven't figured out how to search this site for past threads. Any way you could post it so I can read it again. If the season goes into the first week of June, I'll be a happy camper, but the way things are going here the last few days, there's no way I can get out any sooner than the last week of May and even that might be pushing it. I'm still planning for it though. Thanks for the info.

Mike M.

#5 ·
Thanks Ron. I remember reading a thread explaining the 3 scenarios, but I haven't figured out how to search this site for past threads. Any way you could post it so I can read it again. If the season goes into the first week of June, I'll be a happy camper, but the way things are going here the last few days, there's no way I can get out any sooner than the last week of May and even that might be pushing it. I'm still planning for it though. Thanks for the info.

Mike M.
Here ya go:

"For the Central Oregon coast subarea (Cape Falcon to Humbug Mountain) spring all-depth “fixed dates”, staff are recommending 12 fixed dates (May 10-12, 17-19, 24-26, and May 31-June 2), with “back-up dates” available every other week starting on June 14-16, if sufficient quota remains for further openings. In coming up with this recommendation, we looked at this season’s quota compared to the last several seasons’, as well as the number of open days during those seasons and catch rates. Additionally we discussed the feedback we had received at the public meetings, via phone calls and emails and carefully reviewed the catch sharing plan to come up with our recommendations. "

Remember, we'll very likely have at least one and maybe more make-up weekends for spring all depth halibut.

As JB said,try the inshore halibut fioshery too. It'll be open 7 days a week. Also the inshore fishery will be open for much longer this year, the inshore quota increased from last year. I haven't fished the inshore a lot, but it did seem like last year was better fishing inshore than in past years. I think the tsunami may have moved some of the san around, there were certainly very strong and very unusual currents that day. And one of the long-time charter captains told me the quality of the inshore fishery varies a lot year to year with last year being a good year.
ron m

#7 ·
Thank You Mr. Bowles. As you said, I should be able to get out if the season does go until June 2nd. If I can't get out on 5-Star, then I'll start looking for an alternitive charter. I looked at your site and I like your boat. I have always been a Center Console fan all my life. I won't be making it home this summer, but this will be my last year here in the Big Sand Box before I return to the USA or Central America. We haven't made up our minds just yet as to where we will retire. Just visited Costa Rica and Panama is next on the check off list, but it seems no matter where we go, it's always good to get back to the good old USofA.:flag2:

#6 ·
Thanks a lot Ron. It's appreciated. I read a lot about the inshore fishing last year and you are 100% correct. If I remember correctly, one of the biggest Halibut of the season was caught in shallow water. Never targeted Halibut (Pacifics) in shallow water, but would like to give it a shot. This trip I'm trying to put together is one the wife and I take to Port Orford every year. I go out on 5-Star Charters and the wife stays at the CastAway Lodge and watches me head out and come in everyday. It's a great boat and a great location. Thanks again.

Mike M.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.