Washington fishing license??? - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 03-15-2005, 06:33 PM   #1
Cliff
Ifish Nate

Default Washington fishing license???

Argh, i just found a 2 day fishing pass i bought in washington a long time ago. It says on it to return to WDFW no later then april 30, 2005... do i have to do that? What happens if i dont? Will i still be able to get washington licenses? Thanks

Cliff

Cliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 06:41 PM   #2
big whiskey
Cutthroat

Default Re: Washington fishing license???

If you don't send in your catch card the wdfw will call you and remind you to send it in.
big whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 06:41 PM   #3
EULACHON
Tuna!

Not a big deal sometimes I turn mine in sometimes I don't. They are mainly interested in the tag counts (salmon steelhead ect)

Paul
EULACHON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 06:50 PM   #4
Cliff
Ifish Nate

so what happens if i lose it? WIll i get fined? and if i dont send it in? Will i be able to buy licenses still? Thanks

Cliff
Old 03-15-2005, 07:06 PM   #5
lor
Ifish Nate

I'm in the same boat, I got a two days license to fish silver lake for Crappie.
I'm pretty sure that little piece of paper is history.
Please someone from the North Side of the river respond because I would also like to know if I can get another license.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:08 PM   #6
Cliff
Ifish Nate

anyone? please? Thanks!

Cliff
Old 03-15-2005, 07:15 PM   #7
Starfish

Lor, if all you got was a license for crappie (not a punchcard) then you don't have to return anything.

Cliff, I don't know the penalty for not sending in a punchcard but why wouldn't you send it in? I missed it once or twice over the last 18 years but I always try my best to return it on time.
Starfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 07:17 PM   #8
Cliff
Ifish Nate

ill send it back in, i was just wondering what would happen if i lost it. Cuz i did lose it... then i just found it today and was like "woah"i have to send this in! Just curious what happens if someone loses it

CLiff
Old 03-15-2005, 07:18 PM   #9
Tuna!

I forgot to send mine in a few years ago and nothing happened. They use the catch card to record stats along with census of fishers. You may get a letter requesting you to turn in your card. They won't get yas for anything.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:21 PM   #10
GRUMPYR
Steelhead

Now that Washington uses WILD, they know when you've been bad little boys and girls and neglected your duties to report your catch. After all, how are they supposed to split up the take 50/50 with our co-managers if we don't all report our catch?
Maybe the tribal quota will be -0- next year seeing how as half of my big goose egg works out to just that.
Thats right, I actually managed to tag exactly -0- fish last year. Man, I gotta get out more!!!
G

GRUMPYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 07:22 PM   #11
skybuster
Ifish Nate

It's no big deal. I told them a couple of years ago that I had lost a card and they had me fill out a replacement to the best of my knowledge. They will still let you buy another, at least I have been able to buy them when I forgot to turn them in.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:24 PM   #12
Cliff
Ifish Nate

ah thanks for the info guys!

Cliff
Old 03-15-2005, 08:04 PM   #13
Steelheadman
Steelhead

If you don't return your catch record you are violating the law. http://wdfw.wa.gov/fish/catch_record_card/

WAC 220-56-175 Catch record cards. It is unlawful for any person to fail to comply with the catch record requirements as provided for in this section:

(1) In order to fish for or possess for personal use any crab, anadromous salmon, sturgeon, halibut taken from Catch Record Card Areas 5 through 13, or steelhead, an angler must obtain and have in personal possession a valid appropriate catch record card as described in WAC 220-69-236 except for commercially caught salmon retained for personal use as provided for in WAC 220-20-016 and commercially caught sturgeon retained for personal use as provided for in WAC 220-20-021.

(2) Any angler, after obtaining a catch record card shall validate the catch record card by completely, accurately, and legibly completing all personal identification information in ink on the catch record card prior to detaching the catch record card from the underlying copy of the catch record card or, for automated licenses, affixing the appropriate validation sticker to the catch record card. A catch record card remains valid so long as there are one or more unfilled spaces available for the species being fished for, except:

(a) In the mainstem Columbia River downstream from where the river forms the common boundary between Oregon and Washington for sturgeon a catch record card remains valid when the sturgeon portion of the catch record card is filled. A person may not retain sturgeon after the sturgeon portion of the catch record card is filled.

(b) A second or subsequent catch record card is invalid for retention of sturgeon.

(3) Immediately upon catching and possessing a salmon, steelhead, sturgeon or halibut, the angler shall enter in ink in the appropriate space the place, date of catch, species (catch type), for sturgeon, length, for halibut, vessel type and for salmon, whether or not the fish was marked.

(4) Immediately upon retaining a Dungeness crab aboard a vessel or on the shore, the fisher must enter in ink in the appropriate space the place and date of catch, fishery type and enter a tally mark for each Dungeness crab retained from each catch record card area fished. At the end of the fishing day, the fisher shall enter the total number of crab tally marks for each fishery type.

(5) Every person possessing a catch record card shall by April 30 of the year following the year printed on the card return such card to the department of fish and wildlife.

(6) Any person possessing a catch record card shall, upon demand of any law enforcement officer or authorized department employee, exhibit said card to such officer or employee for inspection.

(7) A catch record card shall not be transferred, borrowed, altered, or loaned to another person.
Steelheadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 09:44 PM   #14
Armored Angler
Steelhead

Why don't you want to send it in? It's only 37 cents. :whazzup:
Armored Angler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 10:01 PM   #15
muddog
Steelhead

I'm a northside fisherman and my understanding was "please send it in" as we read these comments you're not going to be jailed, but I hope our sending punchcards, harvest reports, etc.eventually help the sportsman,I am always an optimist!Don't beat yourself up over this, make a call and do what you have to do Dave
muddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 10:04 PM   #16
TooDrunkToFish
Tuna!

Quote:
Argh, i just found a 2 day fishing pass i bought in washington a long time ago. It says on it to return to WDFW no later then april 30, 2005... do i have to do that? What happens if i dont? Will i still be able to get washington licenses? Thanks

Just to clarify here: you only need to return the punchcard, whether you caught fish or not. You do not have to return the 2-Day license itself--just the punchcard if you obtained one.
TooDrunkToFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 05:48 AM   #17
EULACHON
Tuna!

again not a big deal they will give you a license in the future theu are only looking for catch information.

Paul
EULACHON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 05:53 AM   #18
wetaline
Tuna!

a couple years ago when I forgot to send it in - and it turned out I couldn't find it... they probably sent me 3 reminders with the last one containing a form to fill out to the best of my knowledge on dates and fish caught....

Most fisherman are liars, except you and me, and sometimes I doubt YOU!

Your not going to catch them sitting in the living room
wetaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 05:57 AM   #19
Lured In
Sturgeon

What really chaps my hide is that unlike OR where they have 'drop boxes' at *** sites, WDFW makes you mail them in. For regular folks here in WA, it would be so much more simple just to supply the *** sites with drop boxes. Everyone that fishes regularly will need a new one in the coming weeks anyway.

I bet the return rate would go WAY up.
Old 03-16-2005, 07:53 AM   #20
ProCastinator
Steelhead

Lured In,
I believe that has changed. For the last several years Freddies has taken my previous year's punchcard when I purchased the new one, and said it would be returned to WDFW.
ProCastinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 09:05 AM   #21
steelbiten
Steelhead

"Drop boxes" are a great Idea!
Old 03-16-2005, 09:13 AM   #22
ColdSteel
Steelhead

This might or might not happen but this is what I heard they were going to propose to the legislature this year. If you don't turn in your tags you will have to fill one out and pay an extra $50 to get your tags the following year. Right now it is a criminal offense not to turn it in but is not enforced. With the new rules it would become a civil offense. I usually buy all my lic and tags from Freddies and they have always collected and sent in my tags for me.
ColdSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 09:40 AM   #23
Slayer
Tuna!

Lured in, I see lots of good post from you, but I have to say please dont compare OR to WA. We have it so much better for fishing in WA than we do in OR. I am speaking from personal experience of living in OR most of my life. It's a stamp and we are helping to predict accurate fish catch ratios. Not alot to ask for what we are offered. May your line be tight and your tag full
Chris W