IFish Fishing Forum banner

Reminder - Blue Light Law on the waterways

7K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  fishboys 
#1 Ā·
Please be aware of the "blue light law" which applies not only to vehicles on the road but also to law enforcement boats on the water. See page 38 of your Boat Oregon phamplet. They are going to start really enforcing it on the water like they are doing on the road.

#2 Ā·
#3 Ā·
How about some clarification, MsOutdrs? If we are approaching a boat with a blue light on that has another boat stopped, are we supposed to change lanes and slow down?

Between the first two posts on here I'm still not sure what we are being advised to comply with.

regards, aw

#4 Ā·
How about some clarification, MsOutdrs? If we are approaching a boat with a blue light on that has another boat stopped, are we supposed to change lanes and slow down?

Between the first two posts on here I'm still not sure what we are being advised to comply with.

regards, aw
Its my understanding that your responsibility, as the boat operator, is not to create a wake when either approaching/passing a patrol boat with a blue light going. (you can change lanes if you want...lol) Read the reference above..you'll have the same info as the rest of us. If you still don't understand, might be worth not getting a ticket to call either OSP or your local sheriff's marine unit for clarification. They might give you some examples of incidents that happened in the past that brought about that law on the water.

#5 Ā·
The provided link has the same rules of the river as I'm familiar with and there's nothing at all in it that states that a blue light on a boat indicates a no wake zone.

Maybe I'm just grumpy or my ESP isn't dialed in particularly well today. I don't make it a practice to zip by a patrol boat at any sort of a distance that would cause my wake to be of any concern. Thanks for the heads up, though.

regards, aw

#7 Ā·
The provided link has the same rules of the river as I'm familiar with and there's nothing at all in it that states that a blue light on a boat indicates a no wake zone.

Maybe I'm just grumpy or my ESP isn't dialed in particularly well today. I don't make it a practice to zip by a patrol boat at any sort of a distance that would cause my wake to be of any concern. Thanks for the heads up, though.

regards, aw
You can be grumpy...not a problem!!! We all have grumpy days.

I'm not a law enforcement officer however I do happen to be married to one. He worked last night (the 4th), was out until 3am making sure, along with the rest of the marine patrols, that everyone got back from watching the fireworks safely. He was helping someone when one of those wake board boats flew by and the wake almost tossed him into the river. He knows that IFish is read by many, many...and just wanted me to post this to get the word out. He prefers people be informed by a means other than getting a ticket! I realize that probably 99.9% of the folks on here know how to operate safely on the river but maybe you have friends/relatives that don't. And, quite frankly, I didn't realize for quite some time that there was a blue light law on the road. (until hubby told me as I sped by an OSP officer making a traffic stop right after it went into affect...gulp!!!)

#10 Ā·
Here is the regulation:
The Oregon Administrative Rules contain OARs filed through June 13, 2008
OREGON STATE MARINE BOARD
DIVISION 11
RULES OF RIGHT-OF-WAY
250-011-0005
(6) Any vessel approaching, overtaking, being approached, or being overtaken by a moving law enforcement vessel operating with a siren or an illuminated flashing blue light, or any vessel approaching a stationary law enforcement vessel displaying an illuminated blue light, shall:
(a) Immediately slow to a speed sufficient to maintain steerage only, shall alter its course, within its ability, so as not to inhibit or interfere with the operation of the law enforcement vessel, and shall proceed, unless otherwise directed by the operator of the law enforcement vessel, at the reduced speed until beyond the area of operation of the law enforcement vessel;

#11 Ā·
awww man....... my criminal waking of patrol boats sporting a blue light has come to an end. What can I do now to make a general pest of myself? Im sure Ill think of something.......

This post has been deleted
#13 Ā·
Imagine a beefier "Ski Natique" type boat that can hold up to 10 people, has a stereo system that could wake the dead, and "ballast tanks" that can hold hundreds (if not thousands???) of pounds of water to intentionally create a bigger wake to ski on.

Oregon State Marine Board likes wakeboard boats because that's the majority of the boats being purchased right now, so they find it hard to enforce a moneymaker even though, many of the complaints received at OSMB are caused by wakeboard boats. The issue is their wakes (or you could view it as the operators) cause considerable damage to boats, docks and banks (erosion). In addition, OSMB has stated that the noise produced by a wakeboard boat (no matter what time of day!) is a city issue, not a marine enforcement issue! That blows me away!

Just my :twocents:...

Here's one....

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/boa/743760303.html

LA

#12 Ā·
I was down at the Blues Festival last night to watch the fireworks show in my boat. Looked to me like there were violations everywhere.....

I saw boats that I would think were exceeding their max passenger capacity, boats after dark with no lights, one guy getting the Field Sobriety Test on his cabin cruiser twice (?)...and that was only in about an hour's time.

And aside from the shotgun start back to the boatramps after the Grand Finale, it was a good time.

Mark

#18 Ā·
Wouldn't break my heart.
I am not sure that I have ever seen one and I don't think I want to.
Considering the liability potential, I wonder what it costs to insure one of these things?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.