IFish Fishing Forum banner

Best Steelhead Worms?

22K views 31 replies 27 participants last post by  BlacktailBilly 
#1 ·
I started fishing worms a lot last year for a change of pace and I wanted to see if they were worth the hype. I did well and was impressed with the force of the hit.
I mostly fished 3 and 5 inch Seducers, but because I'm newer to the worm thing I'm not convinced they're the best product out there. Does anybody have any suggestions on what worms I should try next or a picture of how I should rig them up?
Thanks for any help,
JD

#2 ·
good call getting into the worm fix Josiah I am a worm slinger and Love it !! I dont think every fish will eat a worm but the ones that will love to come hammer them and try and rip the rod out of your hand!

I generally rig mine up like this

but you can also flip it around so that the top has the tail is hanging and if I do that I usual will leave at least 2 inches "flopping".. both ways can and will get bit on any given day . always fish them "floppy" under a bober but if I am drift fihsing them like I usualy am this is the way I go.

as for the best worm??? I only fish berkley's if that means anyhting:wink:

#3 ·
im not sure what they are called but at fishemans they have what seems to be a local product in a 4" size. it is shrimp scented and really soft. i take them and cut them at the coller and put them on a white jighead. and if im drift fishing i go with the 4 or 6" berkley because it is round. i just thread the hook through with about a 24" leader and i dont use a corkie. then just add whatever weight you like for drift fishing and go for it.

#5 · (Edited)
I drift fish them, too and rig them like the picture. On occasion, I use a spin and glow (see below), and other times, I go without a corkie.

I happened across this picture today and thought of this thread, so I thought I'd update my post. The first fish I caught with one of these pink worms was this sucker back in March 2006 when I had only been steelheading for 6 months, and hadn't caught one yet. I hooked up and was all stoked about getting my first steelhead. When I got it to the bank, I was like "what the heck is this?!?!" I was certain that it wasn't a steelhead, but I had no idea what it could possibly be. Finally, I snapped a pic with my camera phone and C&R'ed it. I sent it over to my father-in-law, who is a steelhead veteran, and asked what it was. Well, he told me, but he gave me all kinds of crap about catching and taking trophy pics of suckers until I finally got my first steelhead.

#23 ·
The first fish I caught with one of these pink worms was this sucker back in March 2006 when I had only been steelheading for 6 months, and hadn't caught one yet. I hooked up and was all stoked about getting my first steelhead. When I got it to the bank, I was like "what the heck is this?!?!" I was certain that it wasn't a steelhead, but I had no idea what it could possibly be. Finally, I snapped a pic with my camera phone and C&R'ed it. I sent it over to my father-in-law, who is a steelhead veteran, and asked what it was. Well, he told me, but he gave me all kinds of crap about catching and taking trophy pics of suckers until I finally got my first steelhead.

:D Funny Summoner!

#8 ·
Mad River manufacturing has a great product. They come in 3,4 and 6 inch worms in lots of different colors. There soft, but done rip out easily they also come in both shrimp scent and unscented versions as well.

#12 ·
I like the Mad River steelhead worms. 4" for drifting and 6" cut at the collar with a 1/8oz white jig head. I like to thread my 4" worms, tie yarn between the worm and hook and thread a puff-ball on the hook. That seems to get the tail up and the worm fishing horizontal and also keeps the hook outta the rocks better. Also those Gamakatsu wide gap hooks seem to work better than a regular octopus.

#18 ·
i've used alot of worms up here on the OP, the onesthat work best for me come from canada there more durable dont tear as easy and out preform the others. to get these gfo to freds custom tackle in bc there on the web they make there own worms. give them a try you'll be satisfied.:meme:

#19 ·
I did use the yamamoto senko last year when I ran out of berkley worms. It was march and I had my bass stuff in the car. I threaded a pink 5in senko on and I caught a 10pound nate buck. I havent tried it since but it did work very well because it did sink so you can drift it through riffles without worrying about it floating on the surface. Yamamoto just came out with a skinny version of their senko and Im amped to try that one out.

#25 · (Edited)
I think you mis-interpreted my reply. ;)

It was more on the lines of "Yes, I have a great source of pink worms for you, and yes, I have photos of how to rig them. Not only that, but when we fish the OP, I'll bring my stash of pre-rigged worms for us to fish and show you all the spots to fish' em on the river!"

As long as you don't cast for squirrels in the trees and can hit a small spot on command, you'll do just fine up in the front seat. Good worm fishermen work in pairs. Guy on the sticks has to know where the folks up front need to cast before they do. Pitch-n-go..... I'll row you down the river the first time....just to point out the pitchin' spots and all. ;) You'd *better* put a whippin' on me....I like it when I have to pull over to land that 20 +er...... :D

#27 ·
I used to fish Mad River and BnR but recently I started fishing Horker Soft Baits. They have a 4" OLY Steelhead worm that is awesome. The pink nightmare worms are the bomb and you can get them scented in anise, garlic or shrimp.

They also have some colors I've never seen anywhere else. Their 6" NW finesse worms are way kool too. The piling worms are crazy effective for catching cod, perch and
off the dock. Overall I think they are the best worms on the market. They're a bit harder and last longer than other worms I've used in the past. They also carry 16mm soft beads which I'm looking forward to trying out on some steelhead this year.

Another thing I really like about Horker is that they always throw in a couple free samples. I'm surprised more people don't know about them. They're a great company and they're local.

#30 ·
Started trying plastic worms 25 years ago but regardless of brand (even bought some in BC) could never achieve more than a fish here and there. Finally this past winter got fish on them fairly consistently. Stick with Mad River products in the 4 and 6 inch worms most of the time and rigged them similar to what was shown. I usually trim the worm at the front of the collar before rigging on jigs. I also have been having some success with Berkeley Gulp trout worms under a float over the past month in the low clear water.

If you want to start making your own plastics you can get all the supplies you need from plastisol to molds and everything in-between at lurepartsonline.

#31 ·
The Addicted worms look nice. They sure catch a lot of fish on them in their videos.............

I also like their jighead with the retention spike on the collar......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.