Penn Squall? - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Old 07-06-2013, 06:58 AM   #1
Puffin
Ifish Nate

Default Penn Squall?

Anybody got one? What size if so. Any reviews. 2 yr old product cant seem to find one to hold. Graphite lever drag.

If the coast guard says GO FISH we do.
Puffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:48 AM   #2
BlueFin17
Steelhead

Default Re: Penn Squall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
Anybody got one? What size if so. Any reviews. 2 yr old product cant seem to find one to hold. Graphite lever drag.
I have 2 that I use for halibut. Great power but not great if you are looking for speed retrieval.
BlueFin17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:54 AM   #3
mitch1
Tuna!

I have the 25n. Won it earlier this year at the SSS! This seems to be a very nice reel! Been using it for bottom fish so far without a hitch. My plan is to use it for jigging tuna, when they show up I spooled it with 30# power pro and 25# floro top shot.
Again so far with the use I've had it's been really nice, strong, smooth and fast. Hope this helps.

Last edited by mitch1; 07-06-2013 at 07:00 PM.
mitch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:01 AM   #4
jasonbartosz
Chromer

We have two of the 40's. Very usefull all around reel. Quality build, nice features and great line capacity. A little under geared for heavy drops at the chicken ranch. We still use them. Will use them first time for tuna this year, but I think they will do great. Should be able to fish all oregon species with this reel.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:17 AM   #5
Steve Carson
Steelhead

Quote:

The Squall family is pretty large [21 models including some leftys], and includes both star drag and lever drag models, in sizes from the tiny FTH12, on up to the [new] SQL50VSW.
The new 2-speeds [16VS, 30VSW, 50VSW] may solve the dilemma of those wanting both speed and power.
The SQL16VS in particular should easily handle any PNW halibut/tuna applications.
A pair of the test-model SQL30VSW's were used aboard the San Diego boat Vagabond for all of last fall/winter season, fishing nearly every day, and catching lots of tuna in the 100-pound class, wahoo, etc. without a hitch.
After being examined by the engineers, those two test reels have been back aboard the Vagabond since June 1, catching fish every day as the boat's "loaner" trolling tackle.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:40 AM   #6
HOGGEMIN

We have 7 models in stock to fondle Jon if you want to come out to the shop.
HOGGEMIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:06 PM   #7
Puffin
Ifish Nate

Thanks for the replies. I may come out mike. I am thinking 50 or 60 class mostly deep hali and I usually have Daiwa 50s. Hoping for a little more capacity and not much more size than the Daiwas. Tthanks for the input Steve. Sort of a psuedo deep drop. 4lbs lead 2 lbs bait 700ft depth. 16 will be small due to the weight.Shopping for large Pacific Halibut sometimes means a lot of drops Suggestions.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:18 PM   #8
Puffin
Ifish Nate

I supply all gear on the boat. Quite obviously Penn Daiwa And a few Shimanos are in the lineup. Any tackle I buy must be able to double as a hammer. . Crew works hard to break and lose enough stuff to keep things new. Just havin fun causin a commotion in the ocean.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:19 PM   #9
Steve Carson
Steelhead

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I may come out mike. I am thinking 50 or 60 class mostly deep hali and I usually have Daiwa 50s. Hoping for a little more capacity and not much more size than the Daiwas. Tthanks for the input Steve. Sort of a psuedo deep drop. 4lbs lead 2 lbs bait 700ft depth. 16 will be small due to the weight.Shopping for large Pacific Halibut sometimes means a lot of drops Suggestions.

Should clarify; the 2-speed models use the "International" sizing system, so a new Squall SQL16VS holds about the same amount of line as the single-speed SQL50LD [about 750/80 braid].
With that much lead/bait [similar to what's used in some Alaska areas], the 2-speed option [4.5-1 high/2.1-1 low] might be nice to have. The larger single-speeds are all 4.3-1.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:31 PM   #10
Puffin
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Carson View Post
Should clarify; the 2-speed models use the "International" sizing system, so a new Squall SQL16VS holds about the same amount of line as the single-speed SQL50LD [about 750/80 braid].
With that much lead/bait [similar to what's used in some Alaska areas], the 2-speed option [4.5-1 high/2.1-1 low] might be nice to have. The larger single-speeds are all 4.3-1.

Thanks for the clarification.Daiwas are 4.2-1 and been usin em for decades. I buy em crew breaks em. If they want 2 speeds they get to purchase personal equipment. These look like well built reasonably priced equipment. Basically the standard from penn. Checked Fishermans, Sportsmans and Englands and nobody had one. Only fishermens ever heard of them. So I came here. Success. Thanks again.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:44 PM   #11
Jakiedog
Chromer

I've heard nothing but great things about the Squall. Sad that they can't be more readily found around here. For that size reel, it looks like a crowded market with shelf space at a premium. Another reason to head out to Hogg's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Carson View Post
The Squall family is pretty large [21 models including some leftys], and includes both star drag and lever drag models, in sizes from the tiny FTH12, on up to the [new] SQL50VSW.
The new 2-speeds [16VS, 30VSW, 50VSW] may solve the dilemma of those wanting both speed and power.
The SQL16VS in particular should easily handle any PNW halibut/tuna applications.
A pair of the test-model SQL30VSW's were used aboard the San Diego boat Vagabond for all of last fall/winter season, fishing nearly every day, and catching lots of tuna in the 100-pound class, wahoo, etc. without a hitch.
After being examined by the engineers, those two test reels have been back aboard the Vagabond since June 1, catching fish every day as the boat's "loaner" trolling tackle.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:08 AM   #12
Jenson
Fry

I picked up a lefty squall 40 about a month ago. Really AWESOME drag, casts a mile and well-constructed.

I use it for Sturgeon, Halibut and as a diver reel for salmon. It is a little cumbersome for lingcod.

Thanks Hoggs!
Jenson is offline   Reply With Quote