IFish Fishing Forum banner

hunting in murders creek

12K views 28 replies 13 participants last post by  gottafish 
#1 ·
anybody hunting over in murders creek this year? I dont want your honey hole, but just a place to start. Also, i am not looking for trophy elk or deer, but just meat to pack home. Any ideas will be thankful.

#10 ·
Great time to catch wild horses..... I wonder if they are screwing up the archery hunting on purpose, or if they just lack good sense. This will definitely change where the elk are hanging out. I'll bet they end up up on Aldrich or clear over in Widow's Creek.

#25 ·
Great time to catch wild horses..... I wonder if they are screwing up the archery hunting on purpose, or if they just lack good sense. This will definitely change where the elk are hanging out. I'll bet they end up up on Aldrich or clear over in Widow's Creek.
Yep it serves to break up the herds and spread the elk out. ive found when hunting that contry Scouting beyond the roads is a waist of time because the week before season Fish and Game bust up the elk then the cow punchers come through and round up there "cattle" and the elk are gone. but you can find them fairly quick it only takes a day or two.

#26 ·
Yep it serves to break up the herds and spread the elk out. ive found when hunting that contry Scouting beyond the roads is a waist of time because the week before season Fish and Game bust up the elk then the cow punchers come through and round up there "cattle" and the elk are gone. but you can find them fairly quick it only takes a day or two.
We saw no moo cows while we were in there.

#27 ·
We saw no moo cows while we were in there.

None, I think they are barred by injunction right now. We saw new fences going up along Murderers Creek on the way in from Seneca towards the work center, I suppose the FS thinks if they fence out the creeks the cattle can return. Wished they would have put the fences on the off side of the road instead of inboard by the creek, some recreational spots will have cow patties in them now.

Best looking grass in years up there.

#14 ·
There are about 500 horses on the Umatilla Indian Reservation and 5,000 on the Warm Springs Indian Reservation. The reservations are trying to come up with a solution. They have to have 100% support from the tribe I believe to do anything about them. A few people are keeping that from happening. Let’s hope we don't see more units being affected by those feral horses.

Good luck if you end up hunting in Murders Cr.

#15 ·
There are about 500 horses on the Umatilla Indian Reservation and 5,000 on the Warm Springs Indian Reservation. The reservations are trying to come up with a solution. They have to have 100% support from the tribe I believe to do anything about them. A few people are keeping that from happening. Let’s hope we don't see more units being affected by those feral horses.

Good luck if you end up hunting in Murders Cr.
Do you guys think they will let us shoot it? Never taste a horse before but never hurt to try either.:D

#22 ·
wasnt aldridge but can tell you that was the only flat spot there, it was a pain packing out cause it went all up hill from there to pick-up i would say at least four miles. i dont know what is with me hunting that unit but i always get one and see alot of bulls. last 2 seasons i've hunted there have seen a total of 11 bulls-8 branch-3 spikes. and yes alot of horses last time i was there.

#24 ·
Still a lot of horse left, maybe not so many around John Young Meadows. Camped at Oregon Mine on the creek for a couple of days and had a herd of 15 come through camp (twice). Seen scattered bunches. Horse manure in large piles all over the roads.

Man, it is criminal what has happened to the deer herd in there, very sad situation!:(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.