IFish Fishing Forum banner

Lead Sinker Molds

6K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  Herringchoker 
#1 Ā·
These sinker molds are so darned expensive, and the cost of buying lead sinkers is just nuts. Anyone have a 3oz and/or 4oz pyramid sinker mold they wouldn't mind loaning me for a weekend? I promise, I'm a trustworthy iFisher and will be "O So Careful" with it. Thanks boys, be well and fish on! Mark. :meme:

#2 Ā·
These sinker molds are so darned expensive, and the cost of buying lead sinkers is just nuts. Anyone have a 3oz and/or 4oz pyramid sinker mold they wouldn't mind loaning me for a weekend? I promise, I'm a trustworthy iFisher and will be "O So Careful" with it. Thanks boys, be well and fish on! Mark. :meme:
get a bucket of sand make an impression of your sinker and pour lead in it.

#5 Ā·
Does not work for years but it works and is cheep. Cant poor a hot mold like store bought. lot slower process. make 1 side add bondo press in sinker let it set up add wax paper to seperate top off other side let set up. dont forget pour spout use tip of a dinner candle. Look online the style a store bought mold is set up and make similar.

#8 Ā·
We use 3oz and 4oz pyramids for surf perching at Seaside. When you get 10 or 15 guys lined up in the surf the pyramids hold better in the sand and don't tend to wander right or left into the next guys rig like a bank sinker does. I get the evil eye from my Vietnamese and Cambodian buddies if I start tangling their lines. Guess I'll just bite the bullet and spend the 30 bucks. Fish on boys! Mark

#10 Ā·
If you decide to make any castings from sand or anything else, make sure you put it in an oven first to get rid of any and all moisture. If you have any moisture and pour hot lead on it, the lead will spit right back in your face.

I have made molds from sand, wood and plaster of paris. Easy to do, just stand back when you pour the first two or three until the molds dry out.

I will check to see if I still have my pyramid molds.

Giz....

#11 Ā· (Edited)
I've made pyramid sinker molds out of drywall plaster.

Get some wet plaster. Put into a small paper cup.

Take a pyramid sinker and coat it with vaseline, and stick it into the wet plaster (pointy side first), and let dry.

Once dry, pull the sinker out of the plaster. Let the plaster THOROUGHLY dry out.

Make some sinker eyes out of thick wire. Pour hot lead into plaster mold, and stick in the wire eye into the lead before the lead solidifies.

You should be able to get several dozen sinkers out of the mold, before it starts falling apart.

#12 Ā·
Fifty years ago, when our family was on a very limited budget, we would go to the local Gas Station in Pacific City and get free used spark plugs. Bend the electrodes and use a large/cheap snap swivel to attach two spark plugs to your line. Using two, they don't roll in the surf as easy as only one. See? we werer "GREEN", and recycling in the 50s!!

#16 Ā·
I just finished making a mold and pouring an 8 lb. cannon ball for a downrigger this last week. The mold was made with plaster of paris with the patern from another ball I had. After plaster was set up hard I placed in oven @ 400 deg. for 4 hours then poured lead in the next day.Was worried about having 8 lbs of lead exploding due to contact with any moisture. Well, it didn't. But as I was pouring there was an erie bubbling sound coming from mold. Had me spooked! Pour went fine and no it didn't stick. btw, mold fell apart seperating the two halves.

Probably will buy my next ball!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.