fireline crystal - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 01-11-2013, 08:42 PM   #1
blackbearseeker
Steelhead

Default fireline crystal

just picked up some 14lb and wondering if anyone has or does run it.mainly going to bobber fish it but occasionaly drift as well.

blackbearseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2013, 08:57 PM   #2
dylane
Steelhead

Default Re: fireline crystal

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbearseeker View Post
just picked up some 14lb and wondering if anyone has or does run it.mainly going to bobber fish it but occasionaly drift as well.
I barrowed a reel the other day with fireline on it and it cast really nice. I use nanofil and it is super nice. but the only problem i've seen/had with Berkely is it start to fray then lose strength and break. I noticed the same back when i use to use tuff line. its because they aren't circular they are more a flat rectangularish line. Why i really like power pro. but i will say it takes a while before they start to fray and they may be better than PP out of the box but after a while pp stays stable and doesn't lose its strength.
dylane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:07 PM   #3
driven2fish
Tuna!

Quote:
We run 14lb fireline on all of our steelhead bobber setups. We don't run crystal though I prefer hi viz but I have never had it break frayed or not. I know we've run the same line for atleast two years. It's good stuff.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:10 PM   #4
roosevelt
King Salmon

I use 14 lb crystal on my bobber rod, it wears out faster than other braids, but its a good trade for how nice it is to work with. it is also hi viz, shows up well
Old 01-11-2013, 09:46 PM   #5
NF122
Tuna!

Next time but the 20# it is larger and floats better. Had the same line for 4 seasons and never broke. It did fray and i can say that i just re spooled my bobber rods and damn the new stuff floats like crazy.
NF122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:03 PM   #6
blackbearseeker
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by NF122 View Post
Next time but the 20# it is larger and floats better. Had the same line for 4 seasons and never broke. It did fray and i can say that i just re spooled my bobber rods and damn the new stuff floats like crazy.
the 20 floats better? and u had the 14lb for 4 seasons? also,u ever drift fished it?
Old 01-11-2013, 11:34 PM   #7
xstreme357
Sturgeon

Quote:
You can flip that line so your frayed line is at the base of the spool and the new stuff is on top. Cheaper than buying new an waistin the rest.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:14 AM   #8
Wild Chrome
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
I use 14 lb crystal on my bobber rod, it wears out faster than other braids, but its a good trade for how nice it is to work with. it is also hi viz, shows up well
I agree. I would add that, when the coating is in tact, no other similar size braid I've tried has as good of knot strength or abrasion resistance as original Fireline or Fireline Crystal. I do trim, reverse, or replace it every 10-20 hours of fishing. I also use a swivel and a short (1.5-2 foot) mono leader.

Wild Chrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:51 AM   #9
Artwo
King Salmon

Quote:
Winner Winner Chicken Dinner..................

It's all I use on my bobber/jig rods.........

You'll love the stuff...........

Artwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:49 PM   #10
Mooch
Tuna!

Any problems with Bobber stops slipping on fireline?
Mooch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:15 PM   #11
roosevelt
King Salmon

No
Old 01-12-2013, 03:53 PM   #12
Steel Maykiss
Steelhead

Quote:
I have had the opposite results.. 20# is so stiff it wont cast well on casting reels, and is very very prone to line twist.. The 14# is flawless by comparison.
Steel Maykiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:09 PM   #13
akili1133
Cutthroat

14 LB crystal is all I use on my bobber setups as well. Freaking strong line! I love it because it isn't as soft as other braids. The softer the braid the more it will wrap around the tip of your pole causing you to retie. Very frusterating. Crystal is money!
akili1133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:03 PM   #14
blackbearseeker
Steelhead

finally put some fishin time in with it. the stuff is hands down one of the best if not the best ive used. i also love the bright orange suffix.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:09 PM   #15
mrfishy2
Cutthroat

My third year using 14# crystal for float/ jig fishing and would not use anything else-- it has put many fish down for the count!!
mrfishy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:51 PM   #16
Humpymac
Coho

Fished fireline for years. Use 20# on baitcaster for drift fishing, great sensitivity! Use 20# on baitcaster with section of mono for spoon fishing. Use 14# on spinner rod, tie directly to FL or onto section of spliced mono. Use 14# on bobber rod, yes, sometimes frays but doesn't lose strength. When frayed, bobber wont slide as well and jig wont get down as fast. Sometimes splice mono section, avoids fray and helps bobber slip.
Humpymac is offline   Reply With Quote