IFish Fishing Forum banner

2002 6.0 Liter Chevrolet problems?

27K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  jimh406 
#1 · (Edited)
Anyone been successful with G.M. through mediation to get a permanent fix or solution to the engine "problem"? I have one of the 6.0 liter engines that knock and I am afraid the engine has taken a turn for the worse. I was about 3,500 miles into an oil change when the "check oil" light came on recently. I decided to drive straight to have the oil checked/changed and was told by the tech it was over 2.5 quarts low! They searched and searched for a leak but it appears there ain't one.

So, after the oil change I drove the vehicle directly to the local Chev dealership and was told by the meeter/greeter/scheduler that up to 2 quarts was normal engine oil consumption per G.M. for 3,500 miles. I drew blood from biting my lip too hard. I have already had the engine diagnosed for the "engine knock" and have already been given the 100,000 mile engine warranty placebo. But, I guess I am wondering if anyone has taken the next step and been successful?

T.C.

#2 ·
I didn't have that problem but I had every other imaginable problem with my 03'. I tried the dealer, the owner of the dealer, the regional manager, etc, etc. etc. to no avail. Letters, more letters, phone calls and more phone calls.

Most of them had the attitude like, duh, you bought a Chevrolet dummy. What did you really expect.

Good luck. I feel your pain.

SN

#3 ·
There was an article in the Oregonian sometime in 2003 (I Think) telling all about this problem and how GM was buying back trucks. Also numerous sites on the net about knocking engines. I had a 2001 and got a GOOD deal on a 2004 plus a check around $3000.00. At that time they wanted to keep customers quite I think. If you are still in the warranty period just hound them to death. Your truck didn't sound like a diesel when you bought it and the resale is deminished because of the knock.I"m saure if you wanted a truck that rattled when you started it you would have bought a Dura Max.
They always told me the noise went away after a very short period of time on a cold start- not so. I was under my truck once when it was totally warmed up I could hear the knock very plain.
Hold their feet to the fire!

#4 ·
Okay, I might be of some assistance here although very little. I do own a 6.0 liter, and I know about the "Knock". It is very noticable on cold mornings and more so when the engine is cold, than when it is warm. It almost sounds like a lifter knock like the old 70's model 350's had when a lifter was going flat.

We have come to the conclusion after some research, several authorities on GM motors, and a teardown and rebuild of an engine with a "knock". The 396....ie 6.0 has more slop in the wrist pin than most V8 engines. It is factored in as the 6.0 reves more RPM than the 5.7, and thus things need to be a little bit looser to keep them from flying apart. When the engine is war, and the pil flows more free, it acts as a cushion between the wrist pin and the piston, thus when the engine is at operating temprature, the knock is greatly reduced.

My 6.0 which has 98,000 miles, has never failed me, and I cannot complain about it. Sure it has a Knock that is different than any other size of motor I have ever had, but the torque and power has always been there. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Just my :twocents:

#6 ·
Don't all Chevy big block engines burn oil? Seriously. My 7.4L burned over a quart plus and on a long trip you better make sure you had a couple extra quarts with you. Was told by every mechanic that ever worked on it that was normal. Even after a new motor was installed it still burned oil.

#7 ·
At first GM told me that it was a piston slap noise, but I later found out that it was more relater to carbon build up on th pistons. Newer motors have a redesigned piston. They say that the new piston will not work in the older motors. Only they know. Seems that the consumer gets it again for someone elses poor design.

#8 ·
I would question the burning oil thing myself. My 6.0 does not burn a bit of oil, and I have not been known to go easy on it either. So the old song and dance about "Its supposed to do that" is not correct. There are only 2 engines that are supposed to burn oil, 2 stroke gas engines and 2 stroke diesel engines. If the dealer is unaware that your Chevy/GMC does not fall under either of these catagories, I would question why you went there.

#10 ·
Yes, I was sucessful withmy mediation through the better business bureau. I even helped another iFisher at the time with his 8.1L.

I have a 02 which originally had the 02 engine in it. At about 12k miles it started to knock and loose power. Just before they replaced the engine it started to burn oil. My truck now has a 04 engine in it which is the redesigned engine with slightly longer piston skirts. If there was nothing wrong with the engine, why did they redesign it?

During my claim the BBB hired an independent mechanic to come out and inspect my engine and write a report. The report was presented to Chevy three days before my hearing with the arbitrator. It basically read that my engine had piston slap caused by faulty design that lead to excessive piston bore errosion, loss of power, oil frothing and consumption (he included pictures of the bore inspection). When he faxed my copy to me it wasn't even off the fax machine and Chevy was on the phone, attornies and all wanting to cut a deal - their first offer - replace the engine with another 02 engine - we ended up going to the 04 engine after I quit laughing. When I showed up for my appointment to replace the engine, Red Carpet treatment.

There are a ton of variables with being sucessful - good luck

#14 ·
My '04 6.0 was a great engine that used no oil up to the point I traded it in. I did have a 5.3 that used about 1 quart per 3000 miles.

Have you tried the Chevy owners websites?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.