IFish Fishing Forum banner

BFG's for hunting and work?

10K views 60 replies 46 participants last post by  flounder pounder 
#1 ·
Arguably, BFG's are the best snow tire for hunting. On a Dodge 4x4 2,500 diesel, how will they hold up as a work truck tire? What kind of wear can I expect to get out of a set?

#38 ·
I'm having the same result.... I used to LOVE BFG A/T!... I would easily get 50k on my old 4x4 Ranger (31x10.5) .... but I'm 15k into a set of 285/70/R17's for my '08 2500 Cummins, and I have about half tread left... :(

#6 · (Edited)
I had a set of 35" AT's on my Ford F350. They were the worst tire I have ever owned. Terrible snow traction had to chain up going up to ski at Mt. Hood and got stuck in my driveway once) and poor tread life (about 24k miles from new to barely legal). They were the proper load range an everything........:twocents:

#7 ·
I use BFG'S ALL TERRAIN on both my 4x4's they are excellent, they have the snow flake on the side, which means, ideal for snow and Ice, they dominate on the snow, I'm not sure how long they last, however you may have to re-balance them occasionally, they are awesome tires, definitely a premium tire for hunting and towing.:)

#9 ·
I had the opposite experience as firehead but mine are (were) mounted on a Dodge Cummins 2500 4x4 rather than a Ford which could make a difference because my last truck was a Ford F350 diesel and it ate tires up like it was starving. My last set of tires on this Dodge were 35" AT's and I got over 50000 on them. I had a season pass at Meadows for three years while running the AT's and never had to chain up. I now have 33" MT's and they are wearing OK. I believe my AT's were superior to the MT's (that I am currently running) in the snow, noise, and in wear so when my MT"s wear out I will go back to BFG AT's again. BTW, before these last two sets of BFG's, I ran several different Les Schwab tires and rarely could I get 30000 miles out of them.

#10 ·
I got 40K out of my ATs, and there was nothing left. I run them fairly hard, on a light truck. I bought another set. They are expensive. Maybe you could get more mileage out something else, but man, these were the nicest, trouble-free tires I've ever owned.

#11 ·
BFG A/T's are over rated, and overpriced. you can find a hell of alot better tire for less that will last longer and be a better all around tire for you. the goodyear duratracs are a awesome new tire. they havent been out to long but so far everyone i talk to that runs them on there HD's love em

#12 · (Edited)
idk about snow but I am field testing a pair of toyo m55's . The guys at schwab's sold these to me after I went in and demanded the best tire I could get for logging roads . As i explained i run almost as many gravel roads as I do asphalt . I will post up how happy or unhappy I am, with wear at years end and again when they get replaced . Apparently this is the tire that a lot of the logging outfits put on the smaller rigs ? we'll see how they hold up to my rally racing to the tree stand after work every night . My experience with mud tires in general is that they do not hold up well to high speed trips up and down the hill day after day for very long at all .

#13 ·
Not sure how much BFG's have changed in the last 20 years, but I wouldn't waste the money on them. I did 2-3 sets year ago and they were the best highway tire I ever owned, but not the best when it came to the dirt roads. I had to really stay on top of rotations and balancing the get anywhere close to maximum life out of them.

You could do much better for less money. :twocents:

#18 ·
I had a 2000 Dodge 3/4T that I hauled rec. Veh's. with. Got a set of ten ply Toyo's and got 104,000 mi out of them. Still out in the barn because they are not quite to the wear rings yet.

#21 ·
I had a 2004 Dodge 3500 long bed that I bought brand new and just sold with a brand new set of BFG KMs on it. It had 147,000 miles on it and that brand new set was only the 3rd set of tired I ever had on it.

I always got them siped, I kept my speed to 60 or so on the Hwy, and I rotated them every 3-4,000 miles. I could not have been happier with them. They were awsome in the ice and snow, and were pretty good on the wet Hwy. I will always use BFG mud tires on my trucks, unless I start getting different results.

#25 ·
I just put a set of AT'S on tundra and absolutely love them. Before i got tne bfg's i had those toyo mt and all i can say is garbage! My brand new truck at the time rode like a 72 four wheel drive chevy with 8 inches of lift and 100 psi in each tire, they were loud, truck wandered all over like i was driving drunk and the steering wheel would shake. Put the bfg's on and it rides like a new truck again.... i was up in the woods 2 days ago and they worked awesome snow mud and gravel.... but thats just my input. Everyone has there own taste tho.

#26 ·
My truck is a Quad Cab 1500. I got 55K out of my last set of AT KOs. If I didnt tow a boat in the winter, and launch on snow covered ramps I wouldnt have had to replace them for another 10K. They are great in the snow, and I believe the only AT that is severe snow rated. I am able to pull my 20 foot boat up steep ramps in 14" of wet snow without chaining. Excellent on icy or wet roads. They are fine when I am off road, but I dont spend as much time off road as a lot of you.
When I was researching before buying this last set, it seems that the most complaints were with really heavy trucks. Cooper has a new AT out that gets great reviews, as well as Toyo AT. Just couldnt get past my own experience with them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.