IFish Fishing Forum banner

The 2014 Official Spring Chinook Thread

686K views 2K replies 568 participants last post by  Chrome brights 
#1 · (Edited)
:excited:

I saw that we had one Chinook pass Bonneville dam on January 1. Right on schedule.. Yes it could be a lost king.. Maybe a lewis river winter king...? I doubt it... But I am just getting excited and thought it was time to have this post started... Good luck, be safe out there, and remember last year's first was caught super early!!

#637 ·
Re: The 2014 Official Spring Chinook Thread... 'Springa-Time!!'

Is it the water temperature?
But like you said, it;s the middle of March already.

#638 ·

The Willamette in OC is hovering around 22.5 ft still. The turbidity is still hitting 25 (so tad better there). Lots of debri. I tried to get a good photo on a 30 ft fat log heading for the falls, but sunlight washed it out.

SH is right, 10 or more days. This is killing me. Even if the fish aren't here, I need to get some practice time in at least.

#639 ·

We'll be out this weekend. It's time for the fish to start showing. The Willamette has crested and is on it's way down. The Columbia will fish this weekend, if poorly. We'll be in the bushes somewhere.

#641 ·

We'll be out this weekend. It's time for the fish to start showing. The Willamette has crested and is on it's way down. The Columbia will fish this weekend, if poorly. We'll be in the bushes somewhere.
Since your 10 day forecast on an earlier post, I've marked the calendar every day counting. Today you are on day 8. So Saturday will put you right on the money. You get a pass on how good it will be, but if you say it is "doable" then your prediction holds. Maybe someone will bring a butter ball to the boat. Go get one guys.

I'm sitting it out until Monday. Fred's Marina is kickoff.

#642 ·

Next weekend will be the 1st good shot at fish unless it rains a bunch.

Maybe 1 fish for every 20-30 boats...if u call that good...:doh:

#649 ·
The 2014 Official Spring Chinook Thread... 'Springa-Time!!'

I'm going Saturday. I haven't fished in nearly three weeks. I'm about to pop. I can't catch them at home... Only more honey-dos. I'll start with some experimental lures (including herring behind dodger or Big Al's Fish Flash) and then swap to tried and true plugs. The Columbia should continue to drop, high temp (air) is supposed to reach 64• F, high tide is at 4:34 am -- should keep running well past low at 12:39 pm. CW

#657 ·

The Columbia should continue to drop, high temp (air) is supposed to reach 64• F, high tide is at 4:34 am -- should keep running well past low at 12:39 pm.
I doubt tide is going to be much of a factor, with the Columbia at 300,000 CFS at Bonneville, and the Willamette at 100,000 CFS. I'll bet its running hard enough to fish plugs on the incoming.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

#652 ·

same story every year, everyone is so excited for springer season to arrive, it finally does and it is a solid 2 months of complaining, lol! there is NO pleasing springer fishermen.

on a side note, some cool pictures of some giant steelhead being posted up on the dam cam!

#661 · (Edited)

same story every year, everyone is so excited for springer season to arrive, it finally does and it is a solid 2 months of complaining, lol! there is NO pleasing springer fishermen.

Yes it is the same story every year.:laugh: That's because March is NOT springer season.

I don't complain about no fish showing because I don't expect any until the last week of March if then? If springer fisherman are tired of no fish in March, they need to change their expectations or work to get a season during the season.

I bet if you gave springer fishermen a season during the season they would be happier. You are a winter steelhead guy aren't you Rossevelt. How about closing all rivers December 31 for all winter steelhead fishing?

Do you think fall chinook fisherman would be happy if the the season closed on August 1?

Wouldn't be to many fall fish caught in July, would there?.....Same comparison!

#663 ·

Yes it is the same story every year.:laugh: That's because March is NOT springer season.

I don't complain about no fish showing because I don't expect any until the last week of March if then? If springer fisherman are tired of no fish in March, they need to change their expectations or work to get a season during the season.

I bet if you gave springer fishermen a season during the season they would be happier. You are a winter steelhead guy aren't you Rossevelt. How about closing all rivers December 31 for all winter steelhead fishing?

Do you think fall chinook fisherman would be happy if the the season closed on August 1?

Wouldn't be to many fall fish caught in July, would there?.....Same comparison!
April is definitely a safer bet for springers but the fact is that weather rules the run. We have had SOLID fishing in March many, many years.

I am in to win, fishing hard, starting tomorrow afternoon. Dropping water, less that 1/2 inch of rain in any given 24 hour period and fish will be caught. Oh and one other thing, the reward is early fish, they are normally larger than the peak run fish. All good!

#664 ·

Ill be on the Cowlitz with a few buddies. Hoping to see some springers coming up that way, otherwise we'll be happy to get some steelies in the boat.

#691 ·

Now I could be wrong, but this to me looks like a Springer.
Nah, early fall run.

Scent from phone via Tapatalk

#674 ·

No need to be sorry Mainer. His comment came after my post of a steelhead pic and he assumed that I didn't know it wasn't a springer because I didn't write it was a steelhead. I just wanted to post it because it's just nice to see fish in general right now. We were all new at this at some point and some have just been doing it longer than others. I'm always looking for pointers on everything.

#677 ·

It's getting pretty deep here!

March has been a good month in the past because the river CLOSED before April. That was IF it was open at all.

I heard a good guide say a "late" run is usually a weak run. BUT, I'll say again, there WILL be a week of good fishing starting FRIDAY the 28th!!!!! I go in for surgery Thursday the 27th!

#679 ·

It's getting pretty deep here!

March has been a good month in the past because the river CLOSED before April. That was IF it was open at all.

I heard a good guide say a "late" run is usually a weak run. BUT, I'll say again, there WILL be a week of good fishing starting FRIDAY the 28th!!!!! I go in for surgery Thursday the 27th!

Key word being the "past". How long ago was that btw?? I can't remember back that far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#678 ·

Does anyone have any reports around longview area. I'm thinking of hitting the bank at willow grove in the morning but if its not fishable then ill head to the cowlitz instead. A friend of mine bonked two 14lb steelies this morning on the cowlitz fishing for springers

#680 ·

Does anyone have any reports around longview area. I'm thinking of hitting the bank at willow grove in the morning but if its not fishable then ill head to the cowlitz instead. A friend of mine bonked two 14lb steelies this morning on the cowlitz fishing for springers

Hit the cow :twocents:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#685 ·

I thought this thread was for springer reports
Ditto. Sounds like a bunch of grumpy old fisher folds debating the same thing over and over. Bet last years "report thread" had the same "No BS "reports this time of year.
My report..no BS... boat is still tarped over but getting things ready for the end of March.
Go fish!!

#684 ·

Well guys, for all the complaining, I will make a bold prediction. Going to actually break out the net Saturday. Not sure what I will do with it but it's coming out.

#688 ·

That is what the acutal official thread was for. The rest of us with nothing to report are here reporting that there is nothing to report yet.....still a report if you read between the lines.

#689 ·

That is what the acutal official thread was for. The rest of us with nothing to report are here reporting that there is nothing to report yet.....still a report if you read between the lines.
:yeahthat:

The report is "There is nothing to report"... So just chill ! Tie hooks, or...

:yay:

#692 ·

Epic springer fishermen like myself won't settle for "limit" days....duh...that's not epic! We only catch fish on triple limit days. That's why we haven't caught any yet.... No triple limit days...:doh:

#698 ·

Well, it appears all that hospital and work hasn't cost me too much, but the boat is ready and "on the tarmak, awaiting the order". I'll be thinking up some devious rigs, so when they get here, I can, at least, give 'em some sore lips! :pray:

#699 ·

Made a few passes on Catapiller last night. Lots of junk in the water (sealions included). maybe 6 inches of clairity. Nada. Two other boats with me. One fished all day saw 20 boats, no fish... Any day now... going back sat and sunday. Anyone have a chinook call?

#704 ·

Just for fun I actually went back to the "2013 Official Springer thread" and looked at the reports for 3/10 through 3/14. As we now know 2013 was not a good year for upriver springers (lowest Bonneville counts in 5 or 6 years) and there were only reports on the thread of 19 hatchery springers (quite a few wild as well) for those 5 days.

This year same period - zip!

Don't know what that means but there was lots of complaining about the poor fishing. The water temp was 43, and smelt were being found in the bellies of some of the fish.

Curt

#705 ·

What an amazing thread!! Full of useful information and positive responses! Thanks guys!! You guys rock! I was losing faith in the site but has been restored tenfold!! Thanks so much for the positive reinforcement!!

#706 ·

What an amazing thread!! Full of useful information and positive responses! Thanks guys!! You guys rock! I was losing faith in the site but has been restored tenfold!! Thanks so much for the positive reinforcement!!
Use herring, you'll get them tiger!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.