Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Life in General

Notices

Old 05-20-2017, 01:08 PM   #121
idagriz
Cutthroat

Default Re: Employees and drug use

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagleclaw View Post
True it doesn't mean you are under the influence of THC but it does show your employer that you thumb your nose federal law and therefore you might not be the most trustworthy employee
No company wants a law breaker, that's for sure. A good background check can usually get to the bottom of that one. I just think that's not what the drug tests are mostly about, but rather safety.

Edit to add there is a lot worse laws you can break than smoking pot that is legal at the state level.

Last edited by idagriz; 05-20-2017 at 01:09 PM.
idagriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2017, 01:15 PM   #122
pharmseller
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lingslayer View Post
That was the primary issue before it was legalized by the states too. At least for a couple of the employers I worked for.
Their attitude was one of:
"If you're willing to break that law, how many more laws do you think don't apply to you?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by idagriz View Post
No company wants a law breaker, that's for sure. A good background check can usually get to the bottom of that one. I just think that's not what the drug tests are mostly about, but rather safety.

Edit to add there is a lot worse laws you can break than smoking pot that is legal at the state level.

There's a stop sign near my house that I pass through at least once a day, I can count on one hand the number of times I obey that sign in a month.

I speed, all the time.

There are lots of laws that apply to me that I ignore, but I'm a trustworthy guy.

P

If you rifle hunt with ANYTHING BIGGER THAN a 7mm-08 you're a sissy and should wear pink panties.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Thoreau

Being offended doesn't work anymore - Jonathan Pie

Magazine!

19' Arima SC
C-44 South Beach Marina

pharmseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 02:22 PM   #123
DogZilla15
King Salmon

That's what I was thinking Pharm. Obeying every traffic law to the letter does not make a person safe or courteous to those around them when it comes to speed. If you think it does, you aren't really thinking.
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2017, 02:32 PM   #124
Greenleaf
Coho

I only read through page one, that was enough...holy high horses!! Glad I work where I do...
Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 04:12 PM   #125
cptdarel
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmseller View Post
But how many people smoke dope for the taste? Isn't the point of smoking dope to get altered? Sure, you don't have to get Cheech and Chong stoned every time, but we're talking about degrees of altered, so the goal obviously is to get high.
P
just have to throw this in..............

“Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's needs, but not every man's greed.”
Mahatma Gandhi
cptdarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 04:42 PM   #126
sadiesassy
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnMorgan View Post
I know you get completely lit on Friday and pee clean Monday.

Random UA at some companies are an absolute joke. A lot of companies will never random UA a highly productive worker if the suspect they are a user.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is not a true statement Lots of companies do - including managers, good productive people, etc You ahve to keep records on how randomization was established
sadiesassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 05:10 PM   #127
CptnMorgan
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadiesassy View Post
That is not a true statement Lots of companies do - including managers, good productive people, etc You ahve to keep records on how randomization was established

You see we both used soft words in our response now didn't we.

Old 05-20-2017, 05:46 PM   #128
Eagleclaw
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptdarel View Post
just have to throw this in..............
www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAdDdTZuNA8
Well that proves it medical marijuana is a cure all... all I needed was that one person to prove it works.

If it truely was a game changer big pharmacy lobby would be out in force to force congress to change the law so they could profit off it
Eagleclaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 06:03 PM   #129
idagriz
Cutthroat

Quote:
Well that proves it medical marijuana is a cure all... all I needed was that one person to prove it works.

If it truely was a game changer big pharmacy lobby would be out in force to force congress to change the law so they could profit off it
It's possible the reason big Pharma isn't lobbying is partially due to the fact that they already have anti-seizure, anti-depressant, anti-nausea and pain relief medications approved and risk losing those revenue streams.

However, there are some that are exploring cannabinoids, look up GW Pharmacueticals.

https://www.gwpharm.com
idagriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 07:59 PM   #130
Joe C
King Salmon

Quote:

You can't patent a plant. Synthetic Marijuana is supposedly awful. There's money to be made for sure it there, but not by big pharma.
Joe C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:16 PM   #131
hoghauler
Chromer

If the law (federal and or state) requires drug testing, in my opinion the politicians, judges, police, firefighters, emt's, and all military personell including the highest ranking officers should all be tested at random. The man who sets in the Oval Office should also be randomly tested. These people all make life ending judgement calls. And lets not forget the pharmacists either who seem to have a habit of failing to fill prescriptions correctly. Some of these people have caused innocent people to die and I ask you, are they drug tested at random times like employees working for most companies? I doubt it... I am sure some of you will say- well we sure are, and I say B.S. when a cop shoots someone is he or she immediatly drug tested? a life was taken... when a doctor screws up during surgery and the patient dies, is he or she drug tested right away? i dont think so----- But if a forklift driver runs over and kills somebody, guess what---He gets drug tested. What happened to-- All men are equall.
hoghauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 11:55 PM   #132
CptnMorgan
King Salmon

Default Employees and drug use

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C View Post
You can't patent a plant. Synthetic Marijuana is supposedly awful. There's money to be made for sure it there, but not by big pharma.

Yes, yes you can

https://www.uspto.gov/patents-gettin...out-35-usc-161

Old 05-21-2017, 08:21 AM   #133
pharmseller
King Salmon

Quote:
Yes, yes you can

https://www.uspto.gov/patents-gettin...out-35-usc-161

"A plant patent is granted by the Government to an inventor (or the inventor's heirs or assigns) who has invented or discovered and asexually reproduced a distinct and new variety of plant, other than a tuber propagated plant or a plant found in an uncultivated state. The grant, which lasts for 20 years from the date of filing the application, protects the inventor's right to exclude others from asexually reproducing, selling, or using the plant so reproduced. This protection is limited to a plant in its ordinary meaning:"

So a guy would have to create a new strain of dope plant. I wonder if that would pass, since dope is illegal according to Federal law.

P

If you rifle hunt with ANYTHING BIGGER THAN a 7mm-08 you're a sissy and should wear pink panties.

Thoreau

Magazine!

19' Arima SC
C-44 South Beach Marina

Old 05-21-2017, 08:27 AM   #134
CptnMorgan
King Salmon

Quote:
"A plant patent is granted by the Government to an inventor (or the inventor's heirs or assigns) who has invented or discovered and asexually reproduced a distinct and new variety of plant, other than a tuber propagated plant or a plant found in an uncultivated state. The grant, which lasts for 20 years from the date of filing the application, protects the inventor's right to exclude others from asexually reproducing, selling, or using the plant so reproduced. This protection is limited to a plant in its ordinary meaning:"

So a guy would have to create a new strain of dope plant. I wonder if that would pass, since dope is illegal according to Federal law.

P

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...&RS=PN/6630507

http://pdfpiw.uspto.gov/.piw?docid=0...6RS=PN/9095554

Come on Pharm you can do better than this.
Their is a race to patent the heritage breeds of cannabis, since all other are defendants of these heritage strains.

Or even better right now the federal government has a licensing agreement with a private company that sells cannabis. In which the federal government receives a royalty from said licensing agreement.

Last edited by CptnMorgan; 05-21-2017 at 08:34 AM.
CptnMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:35 AM   #135
SuperPanga
Chromer

Reading this reminded me of getting a ride to a job site from one of my friends that was a heavy smoker. He had just smoked a bowl and did not see the School Bus that was approaching the intersection or the Stop sign he was supposed to stop at. I even yelled at him and he could not understand why. Today he no longer does any drugs and lectures people on the evils of weed every chance he gets.
SuperPanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:39 AM   #136
pharmseller
King Salmon

Quote:
http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...&RS=PN/6630507

http://pdfpiw.uspto.gov/.piw?docid=0...6RS=PN/9095554

Come on Pharm you can do better than this.
Their is a race to patent the heritage breeds of cannabis, since all other are defendants of these heritage strains.

The first one looks like a patent for cannibinoids.

"The present invention concerns pharmaceutical compounds and compositions that are useful as tissue protectants, such as neuroprotectants and cardioprotectants. The compounds and compositions may be used, for example, in the treatment of acute ischemic neurological insults or chronic neurodegenerative diseases."

The second one seems to be a patent on the methods for the breeding and processing of specialty plants. So not the plants themselves.

Or are you referring to my question about legality? Looks legal to me. But it's not a patent on the plant.

P

Thoreau

Magazine!

19' Arima SC
C-44 South Beach Marina

Old 05-21-2017, 08:53 AM   #137
CptnMorgan
King Salmon

Quote:
The first one looks like a patent for cannibinoids.

"The present invention concerns pharmaceutical compounds and compositions that are useful as tissue protectants, such as neuroprotectants and cardioprotectants. The compounds and compositions may be used, for example, in the treatment of acute ischemic neurological insults or chronic neurodegenerative diseases."

The second one seems to be a patent on the methods for the breeding and processing of specialty plants. So not the plants themselves.

Or are you referring to my question about legality? Looks legal to me. But it's not a patent on the plant.

P

The first one is very broad, some legal interpretation of the patent, state that it patents cannabis in general.

But here you go an actual US Plant Patent for Cannabis

https://patentimages.storage.googlea.../USPP27475.pdf

And lastly it is perfectly legal to patent legal things but you are unable to trademark it.

Last edited by CptnMorgan; 05-21-2017 at 08:57 AM.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:55 AM   #138
pharmseller
King Salmon

Cool. They created a new strain and patented it.

Isn't that what I said?

P

Thoreau

Magazine!

19' Arima SC
C-44 South Beach Marina

Old 05-21-2017, 09:10 AM   #139
Ben Hur
Tuna!

Met a guy at the DMV getting a renewal on his CDL the other day. He was probably drunk during this 10:00 encounter. He told me he had to get back to work so he could start saving for his and the wife"s retirement. He had healed up well on his hip replacement procedure and needed to go get some insurance to help get his other hip replacement. He was 76 years old and had been driving log trucks all his life. He also quipped that his first retirement didn't stick because he helped put his grand-kids through college and his wife liked to play lottery poker a little to much.

Welcome to the profile of the new real life workers around us on the roads. I doubt the guy had ever smoked anything but 1-2 packs of camels a day along with his Skoal.
Ben Hur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:56 PM   #140
Cathunter1
Ifish Nate

Cathunter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 09:56 PM   #141
sinkerhead

Not much concern in the computer SW or HW industry. Only rule I've heard was don't get caught coming to work impaired or selling on site or you will be terminated. My feeling is that altered might help folks think out complicated algorithms or come up with breakthrough applications, given the chance. More encouraged in the California think tank environments, but those seem like more short term jobs instead of careers.
sinkerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 10:52 PM   #142
Williams
Ifish Nate

This recreational drug use becoming legal is in its infancy at this time. It will prevail,its not going away.Developing test to read the toxicity level will be widely in use soon. If some smokes pot on Saturday or Sunday and arrives at work on Monday not intoxicated, where's the problem?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:02 AM   #143
roosevelt
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave G View Post
And until it is and won, still a disqualifying act in all states. But, don't me wrong. On one hand I am not a fan of Marijuana, BUT the disparity between a legally drinking Oregonian and a legally marijuana smoking Oregonian in not right.
My sentiments exactly.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:33 AM   #144
biofisher
Steelhead

Quote:
Here is the kicker. The Federal Government someday will say Okay marijuana is now legal to use. Yeah!!! BUT, you still can not be under the influence at work. Be it beer or marijuana, you test positive, not good.
Testing positive for marijuana is not the same physiologically as testing positive for alcohol. You can still tes positive 30 days after exposure or ingestion of marijuana.
biofisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 11:38 AM   #145
biofisher
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlamminKokes View Post
Not true, I know people who have passed tests 4 days after smoking

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Not without cheating.
biofisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 11:49 AM   #146
SlamminKokes
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by biofisher View Post
Not without cheating.
Funny, considering the guy told HR that he would fail, he passed! So now he needs to do a random monthly on his dime for a year. I'm thinking if he cheated, he wouldn't have ratted himself out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Old 05-22-2017, 11:56 AM   #147
Herm
Tuna!

Quote:
I lost a friend at Weyerhaeuser in Springfield, he got killed by a guy driving a forklift. Pee test came up dirty. I'll bet Ronnie's family wishes that guy quit before he killed Ronnie.

That was a bad phone call.

P
Quote:
No way to tell. All we know is a good woman lost her husband and three kids lost their dad.

And the guy who killed him had dope in his system.

P
Quote:
Like I said, it cannot be proven to be the cause.

It cannot be dismissed, either.

P

Amazing
Old 05-22-2017, 01:17 PM   #148
CptnMorgan
King Salmon

Quote:
Not without cheating.

Actually cannabis can be cleared from your system as little as 2 days and as long as 8 weeks. It all depends on the individual, strength, and usage. Maybe check your info a little better before assuming.

Last edited by CptnMorgan; 05-22-2017 at 01:33 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 01:31 PM   #149
SlamminKokes
Tuna!

Quote:
Actually cannabis can be cleared from your system as little as 2 days and as long as 12 days. It all depends on the individual, strength, and usage. Maybe check your info a little better before assuming.

Thankyou!
Old 05-22-2017, 01:33 PM   #150
CptnMorgan
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlamminKokes View Post
Thankyou!

I had to edit my post. It is as long as 8 weeks. The boss was talking to me in the middle of my post.

Old 05-22-2017, 01:52 PM   #151
Tagster
Ifish Nate

I worked for a door company in Central Oregon in the early 90s for spending cash while working as ski patrol at Bachelor.

I was partying Sunday night - had a few tokes off a friends bong.

Monday morning first thing I was called in for a urine test...they drove me to the testing facility, did an observed test. I was shaking so badly that I almost missed the cup.

Came up negative...still to this day I am not sure why.

If we tested we would lose 75% of our staff.
Tagster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 02:21 PM   #152
NEUTRON
Ifish Nate

[QUOTE=Han Solo;14175642]I'm not necessarily pro pot. But I am absolutely anti-stupid.

Because one drug (alcohol) is bad doesn't provide the rational that POT is ok or better.

I've said it before.... alcohol is right there with all the other drugs that cause problems.

My issue with legalization is I don't want to see anyone have easier access when under age. I used pot starting in my teens for a quite a few years. It didn't do me any favors. It hasn't done my son any favors. Charged with a felony @ 15 because he got caught with it at school. A felony is for life which we later realized. You can expunge state and county, but federal is for life.

Take any hard core addict and I'll bet the 1st drug they used wasn't Meth or whatever.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:45 PM   #153
freespool
King Salmon

Reefer Madness seems to be alive and well.

"A curious thing happens when fish stocks decline: People who aren't aware of the old levels accept the new ones as normal. Over generations, societies adjust their expectations downward to match prevailing conditions." Kennedy Wame
freespool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 02:46 PM   #154
CptnMorgan
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEUTRON View Post

Take any hard core addict and I'll bet the 1st drug they used wasn't Meth or whatever.

AARP recently did a study and we will use a good visualization. Stand in line with a bunch of people. Look to the left and look to the right. If you have never used Cannabis odds are both of the people you are standing next to have and one of them has smoked it in front of or with their children. Then there is a 50/50 chance that they have even smoked it with their parents.

So one out of every two retirees use marijuana more than once per year. Are they gatewaying to something worse?

Old 05-22-2017, 03:39 PM   #155
pharmseller
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herm View Post
Amazing

I get this all the time.

P

Thoreau

Magazine!

19' Arima SC
C-44 South Beach Marina

Old 05-22-2017, 04:32 PM   #156
jimh
King Salmon

Wink Re: Employees and drug use

Quote:
So one out of every two retirees use marijuana more than once per year. Are they gatewaying to something worse?
Who knows?
Old 05-22-2017, 05:14 PM   #157
cptdarel
Sturgeon

Hey wait......wasn't there a few Presidents that admitted to smoking Dope, I think it was Bill Clinton.......at least as he said, he never inhaled it, that made me feel a whole lot better.

“Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's needs, but not every man's greed.”
Mahatma Gandhi
cptdarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 06:51 PM   #158
pharmseller
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptdarel View Post
Hey wait......wasn't there a few Presidents that admitted to smoking Dope, I think it was Bill Clinton.......at least as he said, he never inhaled it, that made me feel a whole lot better.
I think that depends on what the meaning of "inhale" is.

P

Thoreau

Magazine!

19' Arima SC
C-44 South Beach Marina

Old 05-22-2017, 07:07 PM   #159
fishingls
Piscatologist

Quote:
I think that depends on what the meaning of "inhale" is.

P
yes, and he also said, "I never had sex with that woman".
Old 05-22-2017, 07:19 PM   #160
Dave G
King Salmon

Quote:
Testing positive for marijuana is not the same physiologically as testing positive for alcohol. You can still tes positive 30 days after exposure or ingestion of marijuana.
And that's the disparity I was talking about. They really need to change the thresholds for testing positive. A lot of employers are zero tolerance, so even thresholds would not help in these cases.

Dave G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:32 PM   #161
crabbait
King Salmon

Quote:
And that's the disparity I was talking about. They really need to change the thresholds for testing positive. A lot of employers are zero tolerance, so even thresholds would not help in these cases.
Huh? If the company sets a high threshold someone testing positive but below the "positive"testing threshold would be reported as negative. The company wouldn't know any better.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:46 PM   #162
Dave G
King Salmon

I am no legaleeze expert, but basically develop a scale. Anything below a certain number, who cares, negative for marijuana. I have seen plenty of employees being fired for drug use. There are some hard core drug users out there, testing with multiple drugs in the system. Yes, they tested positive for Meth Marijuana and Oxy and although there was three drugs in their system, they only surpassed the threshold on two of them and they were fired for only the drugs that they exceeded the threshold.

Dave G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:45 PM   #163
pharmseller
King Salmon

Quote:
I am no legaleeze expert, but basically develop a scale. Anything below a certain number, who cares, negative for marijuana. I have seen plenty of employees being fired for drug use. There are some hard core drug users out there, testing with multiple drugs in the system. Yes, they tested positive for Meth Marijuana and Oxy and although there was three drugs in their system, they only surpassed the threshold on two of them and they were fired for only the drugs that they exceeded the threshold.

I wonder if some drugs act synergistically, so that 2+2=5.

Maybe pharmdoc will chime in.

P

Thoreau

Magazine!

19' Arima SC
C-44 South Beach Marina

Old 05-22-2017, 09:21 PM   #164
roosevelt
King Salmon

Quote:
People who smoke think that's not fair, they shouldn't be punished if they are not under the influence...the victim mentality, that I have seen to be a pattern with the majority of normal pot smokers.

It's the nature of the drug, quit complaining, nobody is forcing anyone to smoke it.

I have met quite a few with little or no long term character effects...but most have the victim mentality.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:50 PM   #165
CptnMorgan
King Salmon

Victim mentality is all around, my favorite are the victims who claim to not be victims.

Old 05-22-2017, 11:59 PM   #166
roosevelt
King Salmon

Quote:
Victim mentality is all around, my favorite are the victims who claim to not be victims.

I agree the mentality is widespread, but I do think prolonged, excessive exposure to thc ups the odds of having that mindset.