IFish Fishing Forum banner

Deschutes Steelhead

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  ar15mp5 
#1 Ā·
So, i moved here from NE Oregon where I did a lot of steelhead fishing. I have fished the mouth of the Deschutes, the John Day, etc, etc.
My question is, how far does the run come up the Deschutes? Would love to get back to ripping some lips around here. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

#3 Ā·
The above is true. Although the section near Warm Springs closes first of the year. The lower stays open. Good bank fishing can be found from warm springs to Macs Canyon. Gets a little less from Macs down without a boat. I fish it now through February, usual tactics work but drift fishing can loose a lot of gear due to bottom structure in many areas. Most prefer spoons, spinners or warts and many many more like to fly fish with Spey rods. Remember, no bait except in Sherrars Falls to Train Tressel.

Welcome to Redmond!

#4 Ā·
Bobber and jigs work great this time of the year......flashy steelies or spinners also on the bottom....lots of chinook in the river right now and they are hitting spinners as well.....good clear up till the end of the year...start getting a little dark around January....

#5 Ā·
You run into quite a bit of private property upriver of the boat launch across from rainbow at warm springs. I doubt there's fishable numbers up this far right now anyway. I'd focus on the water from locked gate above maupin to macks right now. Sherars hasn't been worth the trip lately for some reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.