IFish Fishing Forum banner

Expired Flares: What to do?

9K views 37 replies 32 participants last post by  Elk Camp Rodge 
#1 ·
Since firing them off out back of Englund's is no longer an option:palm: I'm wondering what you guys do with your expired flares and other signaling devices. I have been accumulating mine in a zip lock bag that I keep in my ditch bag, labeled "Expired." But my accumulation has grown beyond what I really want to keep on board. I've got a bag full of Orion hand held, 12 ga. aerials (the wimpy ones), a Solas parachute and a solas smoke canister...I'm thinking it could be an exciting July 4th this year.

So, what do you guys do with your excess expired flares and such?

#2 ·
I got the same problem, what to do with these? Can't put them in the garbage as they are hazardous waste. Maybe take them to the household waste disposal station?

#6 ·
I was told by the CG having expired flares on board is fine. BUT!!!!!! If you are boarded and inspected you must also have flares that are not expired. When asked to look at your flares, DON'T hand them the flares that are expired.

#7 ·
I have been boarded twice. Both times I have had expired flares in my bag with current flares. Expires flares were in a bag labeled as expired. I don't remember which I showed them first, but they were cool with it and said they liked that I had the expired flares labeled. No problem at all - since I had current flares that I could produce for them.

#14 ·
do much backpacking? hunting? they make an excellent emergency fire starter........:dance:

#18 ·
Or, if you have neighbors borrowing your firewood, there's another solution. Cut a plug to fit, bore a hole in a piece of firewood, insert flare and then the plug. Put it in a piece small enough they won't split it again. Wait three days.

My woodpile grew back at least a foot. Had to split a lot of kindling after installing the plugs so carefully.:palm:

#20 ·
Since firing them off out back of Englund's is no longer an option:palm: I'm wondering what you guys do with your expired flares and other signaling devices. I have been accumulating mine in a zip lock bag that I keep in my ditch bag, labeled "Expired." But my accumulation has grown beyond what I really want to keep on board. I've got a bag full of Orion hand held, 12 ga. aerials (the wimpy ones), a Solas parachute and a solas smoke canister...I'm thinking it could be an exciting July 4th this year.

I take them to my local fire dept

#21 ·
I've always saved expired flares for backups on the boat. Last summer I decided to test a couple to see if they were still good.

I pulled out 5 of the 12ga style flares and shot them into the air. Being that they were recently expired, I was surprised that 3 of the 5 were duds.

They popped and shot into the air,but didn't ignite.

They were never wet,and always stored like they were supposed to be.

A 60% failure rate doesn't inspire a lot of confidence.:pray:

#22 ·
Probably not a good idea to test your flares on the water. CG will investigate any flares fired or reports of flares fired. Had it happen on the Columbia at dusk during 4th of July. They questioned every boat anchored until they had the boat, who were subsequently cited.

#24 ·

It's to bad you are not in Coos Bay -- The COOS BAY POWER SQURADRON will be doing a FLARE & FIRE EXTINGUSHER DEMO on May 19th at 1:00pm & will be using some use FLARES as part of the DEMO. Call Al at 541-888-6178 for more info ---

#27 ·
Throw them in the campfire when nobodys looking and run!!!!!!:meme: Kidding.....

I like the giving them away to fire departments that a good idea. we just usually shoot them. They do work good for moles too well the hand held signal flares at least.

#28 ·
12 ga flares are pretty useless. Only the big SOLAS parachute flare, and the smoke flare (and the handheld??) are worth beans. The little pencil flares are a joke---I had a 3 pack that were stored in my life vest, and in date, and all 3 were duds. Glad my life was not on the line....only time my life was on the line, it was saved by my handheld VHF, no flare was used.

#30 ·
I vacum pack em and keep as backup - came in handy as a road flare recently

#32 ·
i now have plenty of extras for my boat. but after reading this i think i will store some of these in the old motorhomes tool compartment and maby in a plastic box behind the seat of my truck and maby in the trunk of my car. they would be great while changing a tire at night. i might even store a few in my atv, or the hand held ones anyway. i have all kinds of plastic boxes out in the pole barn where i,ve bought hand tools over the years, and never use them anymore.

i think this thread got alot of people thinking. good question.
sherman

#33 ·
Do not think it would be a good idea to send up a flair in the woods woods can burn when the hot flair hits the ground. belive most fire staions will take them in as hazzard waste. Bet careful with them

#35 ·
Here is a re post of infromation I provided a few years back. I use mine to start campfires with. As a follow up from the information below. If you want to throw them away you will have to soak them in water from a few weeks (3) and then throw them away. Some fire departments will take them. Best thing is to contact the local CG to see if they will hold some training and let you expend them to see how they work. It is always an eye opener. Safe Bating Week starts on the 18th so..........

Dan

"
This issue has become its own breathing organ. I am working with both Oregon and Washington to figure out a method to dispose of these things but it gets very convoluted because you also have to deal with county and city ordinances as well. There is no clear method currently to dispose of expired flares. The CG Aux can not, due to new Coast Guard policy, take in or conduct live flare shoots as part of their classes.

Some fire and police departments may take them but that is on a case by case basis. I have been working several ideas but none have bore fruit such as portable incinerators. Right now I am conducting a experiment with Station Yaquina Bay to see if prolonged soaking in water will penetrate the container and inert the explosives. If this works they can be soaked for a period of time and then just dumped in the regular household trash. I’ll keep you posted.

The best way so far is to get a group of you together, call the local Coast Guard Station, and schedule a safety class on flare use and go down and shoot them off. National Safe Boating Week is coming up May 19th through the 25th so this would be a great time to call and get something arraigned.

For those who choose to keep them on board make sure you separate them from your flares that are within their expiration date and place them in a container labeled “expired flares” This will save you a hole lot of grief later if you are boarded. Shooting them off on the forth of July is really not a great idea. Even with all the fireworks you could be charged with making a false distress call and the fun is not worth the repercussions.

Dan"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.