Horseshoe Lake - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Bass and Panfish!

Old 02-13-2002, 02:27 PM   #1
mike5097
Steelhead

Default Horseshoe Lake

Does anybody know anything about Horseshoe Lake by St.Paul, Oregon?
A buddy of mine mentioned it to me once, and now that I want to know a little more about it, I can't seem to find any information.
All I know is that it is a pay lake but that's it. Is it worth fishing? Is there overnight camping? A phone number to call to find out more?
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike

Advertisement

Old 02-14-2002, 02:01 PM   #2
Labsforme
Steelhead

Default Re: Horseshoe Lake

They closed the lake to the public about 3 years ago.It was a hot bass and panfish lake.
Labsforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 03:35 PM   #3
Cutter
Steelhead

I did some research, sort of. The lake is totally surrounded by private land. So you have to have permission to fish there.

member #1130
Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 09:35 AM   #4
hawgcatcher
Tuna!

Horseshoe Lake was a backwater of the Willamette. Every flood time, it would fill with water and fish, then when summer came, it would become a lake. There were some fish caught but the only access was down a long stairway to a dock where you could rent a small boat for a fee. This limited the amount of fisherman so it could produce some nice fish. Now it is closed and no access that I am aware of. If you have a good boat, I suggest the area above Newburg and at Wheatland Ferry area. There are several backwaters that produce some nice fish.

You might attend a meeting or two of the Oregon Bass And Panfish Club in Portland. Talk to the old timers and some of the new ones. They will give you some good tips.
Old 02-15-2002, 10:22 AM   #5
Jellyhead
Chromer

Horseshoe lake was one of the first places my Grandad ever took me to fish. We would pay a buck or two to fish off the docks for bluegills and crappie. Man that was a kick. As fast as we could get a bait in the water, we had a fish. Never rented a boat though. I would love to go back there just for sentimental reasons.

Aaron
Jellyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2002, 07:58 PM   #6
Steve
Steelhead

There was another lake in the same area, called Skookum, same thing as Horseshoe, flooded in the spring filled with carp, Bass, Crappie, Bluegill
was closed in winter as duck hunters paid big bucks for the lake... but in the late spring and summer was fun to take kids....havn't been in several years...
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 03:19 PM   #7
casteal
Coho

I heard that skookum closed a few years back. Wasn't worth the money for the landowner to pick up the garbage left behind.
casteal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 10:41 PM   #8
id'er
Cutthroat

Hi --
Cutter is right..it's all private access.

I fish it in the spring and summer. It does produce crappie and bass but, it is nothing special. Any similar size lake will match it in terms of fishing success. I'm not trying to keep you away -- as it is not my decision -- just letting you know that despite no fishing pressure, it is not a secret find or anything.

Anyway, the landing and dock have been closed for at least 7 years now. Public access is restricted due to liability issues. I don't know what's going on at Skookum. I heard it was pretty good.

[ 02-21-2002, 10:41 PM: Message edited by: id'er ]
id'er is offline   Reply With Quote