2017 Wickiup Reports - Page 3 - www.ifish.net

Trout Yak!
Trout & Kokanee Fishing with Buzz Ramsey

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Trout Yak! Trout & Kokanee Fishing

Old 04-23-2017, 11:10 AM   #121
FallRiverGuy

Default Re: 2017 Wickiup Reports

Saturday was slow for sure. We stopped at 12:30 going 9 for 15. Orange was our best color. Today was sloooooooow. It was a beautiful day on the water with little wind. We went 2 for 3 and left the lake at 11.

Advertisement

Old 04-23-2017, 11:31 AM   #122
S Radke
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudoman View Post
We tried the new Brad's kokanee cut plug in orange for a bit as part of our mix Saturday. Our orange hoochies and spinners all caught fish -- the kokanee cut plug nothing. Based on our experience, they are a lot of expensive hype. Anyone else try them?
Mini superbait in pink accounted for 3 of my 6 fish. ~20" behind a kokabow dodger shallow. Same corn as my other gear. I'm a believer.
S Radke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 11:44 AM   #123
chukardave1
Tuna!

I ran one for a bit. Hard to say if it will produce as slow as it was out there yesterday. Small pink hootchies were what caught our fish on the down rigger. Cut plug never had a hit, but I also had one rod out all day that never caught a fish with several different dodger/lure combos tried. I will give it a try again when the water warms up a bit.
chukardave1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2017, 03:55 PM   #124
Jurasic Cowboy
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudoman View Post
We ran it 24" behind a PPT gold big-I dodger with the same corn and scent that we used on everything else. I replaced the original 7 pink beads with 4 orange and 3 black beads.
I have been filling them with the leftover tuna after squeezing the oil out into my corn. I add a little anise to the tuna meat.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:09 PM   #125
1nutinthewater
Tuna!

Scratched out 5 on saturday after a looooong day in the brutal wind, most boats were gone by 1. Today went from slow to dead. 2 fish early then 3 hours without a sniff and I was one of the maybe 10 boats left on the lake when I headed out.
Cooked up one for dinner tonight- nice fat 18", meat was mush- chickens will enjoy the rest of it. First time I have ever had to toss a fresh fish.
1nutinthewater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 05:27 AM   #126
EagleEye
Chromer

First time fishing the opening weekend boy was it a tough one. Saturday we fished until noon and ended up with 8 nice fish on 3 rods. Sunday again until noon and ended up with just 4 in the boat. The water temp may have had something to do with it because they sure were not active. Sounds like we did better than most so I guess we have to consider us fortunate to have gotten what we did. I probably won't be back until July or first week of August. We talked to a few that fished all weekend without one fish caught just a nice boat ride.
EagleEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 05:30 AM   #127
FallRiverGuy

At least it is not windy this morning.

Old 04-24-2017, 07:33 AM   #128
kokaneepoweroregon

Just a reminder to fill out the catch report on the KPO website kokaneepoweroregon.com. The reports are that there was more than a hundred boats out there this weekend and we have received about a half dozen reports. This data will be critical moving forward with the management of Wickiup. Both the KPO and ODFW really appreciate your input.

Tight Lines,

Kokanee Power of Oregon
kokaneepoweroregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:48 AM   #129
FallRiverGuy

Filling out the catch record takes very little time, and the information gathered will help KPO be a voice for people that fish for kokanee. There is a comment section to where notes can be added. For example, if you marked lots of kokanee in Wickiup all the the lake, like I did, you can add that information. So when ODFW wonders if there is a decent population, KPO can provide anecdotal evidence of the health of the population.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:49 AM   #130
Tobenamedlater
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nutinthewater View Post
Scratched out 5 on saturday after a looooong day in the brutal wind, most boats were gone by 1. Today went from slow to dead. 2 fish early then 3 hours without a sniff and I was one of the maybe 10 boats left on the lake when I headed out.
Cooked up one for dinner tonight- nice fat 18", meat was mush- chickens will enjoy the rest of it. First time I have ever had to toss a fresh fish.

Is this typical of the big ones down there? Do the 13's usually taste better than the 19's?

Last edited by Tobenamedlater; 04-24-2017 at 09:50 AM.
Tobenamedlater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:56 AM   #131
oldranger
Steelhead

Wink Re: 2017 Wickiup Reports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobenamedlater View Post
Is this typical of the big ones down there? Do the 13's usually taste better than the 19's?
Actually all sizes taste like mud! You really don't want to fish Wickiup!
oldranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:10 AM   #132
EagleEye
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokaneepoweroregon View Post
Just a reminder to fill out the catch report on the KPO website kokaneepoweroregon.com. The reports are that there was more than a hundred boats out there this weekend and we have received about a half dozen reports. This data will be critical moving forward with the management of Wickiup. Both the KPO and ODFW really appreciate your input.

Tight Lines,

Kokanee Power of Oregon
Just got our trip entered in very easy thanks for the reminder.
EagleEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:30 AM   #133
stryker20
Steelhead

Fished Saturday and Sunday 3 rods went 5 for 7 all were caught on the same rod with ppt gold big eye and wickiup sunrise hoochie
stryker20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 01:05 PM   #134
Jimmy Moto
Fry

doh Re: 2017 Wickiup Reports

My wife and I fished 3 rods Sat and Sunday mornings for a total of 10 hours fishing. We went 4 for 7. Pink hoochie with smile blade and Luhr Jensen half and half dodger seemed to be the ticket but how do you tell with so few bites?

We were booked in the Twin Lakes RV park until Monday but opted to come home (Bend) Sunday afternoon. Maybe we should have stayed in Arizona another month catching Striped Bass!
Jimmy Moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 01:08 PM   #135
1nutinthewater
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobenamedlater View Post
I am not sure- I have always given the wick kokes to co-workers and keep the dinks from other lakes for ourselves......
1nutinthewater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 06:20 AM   #136
kokaneepoweroregon

Thanks everyone who have entered their catch reports. Remember to enter one even if you didn't catch anything. Good data is coming in. Comment on what you are seeing on your fish finder also.

Tight Lines,

Kokanee Power of Oregon
kokaneepoweroregon is offline   Reply With Quote