For the dogs we've loved and lost - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Casting Memories

Old 12-20-2016, 09:57 AM   #1
Bill Rogue V.
King Salmon

Default For the dogs we've loved and lost

Oregon's own Ben Hur Lampman wrote this piece. So true.

Where To Bury A Dog

There are various places within which a dog may be buried. We are thinking now of a setter, whose coat was flame in the sunshine, and who, so far as we are aware, never entertained a mean or an unworthy thought. This setter is buried beneath a cherry tree, under four feet of garden loam, and at its proper season the cherry strews petals on the green lawn of his grave. Beneath a cherry tree, or an apple, or any flowering shrub of the garden, is an excellent place to bury a good dog. Beneath such trees, such shrubs, he slept in the drowsy summer, or gnawed at a flavorous bone, or lifted head to challenge some strange intruder. These are good places, in life or in death. Yet it is a small matter, and it touches sentiment more than anything else.
For if the dog be well remembered, if sometimes he leaps through your dreams actual as in life, eyes kindling, questing, asking, laughing, begging, it matters not at all where that dog sleeps at long and at last. On a hill where the wind is unrebuked and the trees are roaring, or beside a stream he knew in puppyhood, or somewhere in the flatness of a pasture land, where most exhilarating cattle graze. It is all one to the dog, and all one to you, and nothing is gained, and nothing lost -- if memory lives. But there is one best place to bury a dog. One place that is best of all.
If you bury him in this spot, the secret of which you must already have, he will come to you when you call -- come to you over the grim, dim frontiers of death, and down the well-remembered path, and to your side again. And though you call a dozen living dogs to heel they should not growl at him, nor resent his coming, for he is yours and he belongs there.
People may scoff at you, who see no lightest blade of grass bent by his footfall, who hear no whimper pitched too fine for mere audition, people who may never really have had a dog. Smile at them then, for you shall know something that is hidden from them, and which is well worth the knowing.
The one best place to bury a good dog is in the heart of his master.

Advertisement

Old 12-20-2016, 10:20 AM   #2
Daratfish
Steelhead

Default Re: For the dogs we've loved and lost

It's been three months since Mudbone's last campfire ! It hasn't got any easier .
Attached Images

Daratfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 11:46 AM   #3
Bill Rogue V.
King Salmon

He looks like he was a grand pal. Sorry for your loss.

Old 12-21-2016, 08:49 PM   #4
pinhead2
Chromer

Yeah, I know. I still give the box of ashes a pat before I go to bed.
pinhead2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 05:14 AM   #5
sliverslinger
King Salmon

We just had to put ours down on the 20th, we buried her in the yard. She was 15 and we had her ever since she was 6 weeks old. Its still fresh in my mind. I can still see her paying on the table when they administered the shot. She was the best dog we have ever had.

Happiness is a large gut pile!
sliverslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 12:35 PM   #6
marshman
Steelhead

I'm a duck hunter, I am on my fifth generation of companions in my pursuit, his name is Junior, I dread the days that are being discussed in this thread. This thought helps me through those tough moments.

Dogs come into our lives to teach us about Love, they depart to teach us about loss. A new dog never replaces an old dog, it merely expands the heart...if you have loved many dogs your heart is very big.

If there are no dogs in heaven, then I want to go were they went. - Will Rogers
marshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 10:55 PM   #7
Williams
Ifish Nate

Nice post Bill. I never saw this one until now.
Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 04:32 PM   #8
Bill Rogue V.
King Salmon

Bill, thinking back on the dogs I have loved and lost always chokes me up. Got a full heart.
Old 03-12-2017, 01:23 PM   #9
spinner53
Ifish Nate

My Avatar and former heir ( have to change the will) is under 4 feet of Yamhill clay in the back yahd.
Miss that pooch.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:59 AM   #10
riverhound
Chromer

IMHO anyone who does not like dogs has a character flaw. We love our 10 year old Golden. Not a just a dog, but a member of the family.
riverhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:22 AM   #11
DriftR
Tuna!

When I put down my yellow lab at 14 I never thought I'd get another dog. It took three years then I found my Chessy as a little tiny puppy. She is now turning 12 this year and slowing down. I dread the thought when it comes time. Until then she is with me 24/7 and my best buddy. As I write this she is laying right beside me. Give your buddies the attention they deserve because they give it back to us ten fold.
DriftR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 09:35 PM   #12
Goosetrap
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftR View Post
Until then she is with me 24/7 and my best buddy. As I write this she is laying right beside me. Give your buddies the attention they deserve because they give it back to us ten fold.
Amen Brother! Mine is laying right beside me now too like she always does. These dogs devote all of their feelings towards us and know only love for their families. It is so difficult to lose these family members, especially when you have spent hours upon hours together training and building trust. I feel bad for anyone going through the loss right now, just remember the great life they had with you!

These threads always choke me up but I am glad they get started!