Zinc annodes-(Intruder, Kodiak 350) - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Boat and Motor Tech

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2013, 03:20 PM   #1
gretch
Steelhead
 
gretch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 173
Default Zinc annodes-(Intruder, Kodiak 350)

I had a issue last week concerning some sand clogged drains on my Kodiak 350, and in one of the replies this was said:

When you pull the heat exchanger plug, there is a zink annode attached that you should check.


When I pulled those plugs, there was no zink annode, and apparently never was.

What does this mean? Where on my boat should a annode be if it isnt there? What else does a boat rookie need to know about zinc annodes?

thx

gretch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:43 PM   #2
namu mac
Ifish Nate
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ilwaco,WA
Posts: 2,577
Default Re: Zinc annodes-(Intruder, Kodiak 350)

Mine was on the bottom of the heat exchanger. Looked like a bolt threaded into the tank. Remove it and the anode is attatched to it, or should be. You can buy complete or just the zinc part that screws into the backside of the nut.
This is on the heat exchanger and not the exhaust manifolds.
__________________
The worst day fishing beats staying home and doing yard work.
I eat salmon not Sea Lions
namu mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:44 PM   #3
outdoor.spec.ops
Tuna!
 
outdoor.spec.ops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: northbend oregon
Posts: 1,668
Default Re: Zinc annodes-(Intruder, Kodiak 350)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretch View Post
I had a issue last week concerning some sand clogged drains on my Kodiak 350, and in one of the replies this was said:

When you pull the heat exchanger plug, there is a zink annode attached that you should check.


When I pulled those plugs, there was no zink annode, and apparently never was.

What does this mean? Where on my boat should a annode be if it isnt there? What else does a boat rookie need to know about zinc annodes?

thx
The zinc is on the bottom drain of the heat exchanger, not the manifold drains...I can send you a picture if needed. My drain is on the right side, bottom, of the heat exchanger as I face towards the back of the boat.
__________________
outdoor.spec.ops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:53 PM   #4
outdoor.spec.ops
Tuna!
 
outdoor.spec.ops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: northbend oregon
Posts: 1,668
Default Re: Zinc annodes-(Intruder, Kodiak 350)

Quote:
Originally Posted by namu mac View Post
Mine was on the bottom of the heat exchanger. Looked like a bolt threaded into the tank. Remove it and the anode is attatched to it, or should be. You can buy complete or just the zinc part that screws into the backside of the nut.
This is on the heat exchanger and not the exhaust manifolds.
Correct..Englunds sells them either complete or separate...only like 2 bucks
__________________
outdoor.spec.ops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:06 PM   #5
gretch
Steelhead
 
gretch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 173
Default Re: Zinc annodes-(Intruder, Kodiak 350)

Got it,


Im a tard who didnt know the difference between the exhaust manifold and heat exchange, thanks. heh

My plug is actually on the left.

I assume pulling that plug will dump the antifreeze.

Can anyone answer why the annode goes there? How important are these annodes?


Thanks : )
gretch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:13 PM   #6
namu mac
Ifish Nate
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ilwaco,WA
Posts: 2,577
Default Re: Zinc annodes-(Intruder, Kodiak 350)

The plug/zinc is on the raw water side of the exchanger not the antifreeze side. take the plug out as part of the winterization
__________________
The worst day fishing beats staying home and doing yard work.
I eat salmon not Sea Lions
namu mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:20 PM   #7
gretch
Steelhead
 
gretch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 173
Default Re: Zinc annodes-(Intruder, Kodiak 350)

Quote:
Originally Posted by namu mac View Post
The plug/zinc is on the raw water side of the exchanger not the antifreeze side. take the plug out as part of the winterization
So when it got down to 25 degrees the other night should I have drained that as well?

The guy at KEM told me I only needed to worry about dumping the exhaust manifolds and sand trap.
gretch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:32 PM   #8
outdoor.spec.ops
Tuna!
 
outdoor.spec.ops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: northbend oregon
Posts: 1,668
Default Re: Zinc annodes-(Intruder, Kodiak 350)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretch View Post
So when it got down to 25 degrees the other night should I have drained that as well?

The guy at KEM told me I only needed to worry about dumping the exhaust manifolds and sand trap.
They say that you don't have to pull it, but if its gonna get really cold, I pull it and force compressed air through the heat exchanger by taking off the hoses and blowing air through the drain....extra security
__________________
outdoor.spec.ops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:35 PM   #9
outdoor.spec.ops
Tuna!
 
outdoor.spec.ops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: northbend oregon
Posts: 1,668
Default Re: Zinc annodes-(Intruder, Kodiak 350)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretch View Post
Got it,


Im a tard who didnt know the difference between the exhaust manifold and heat exchange, thanks. heh

My plug is actually on the left.

I assume pulling that plug will dump the antifreeze.

Can anyone answer why the annode goes there? How important are these annodes?


Thanks : )
On mine the anode is on the water side, not the coolant side. The zinc prevents electrolysis from the water ( fresh or salt) from eating/corroding on the copper cooling tubes in the heat exchanger.
__________________
outdoor.spec.ops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:39 PM   #10
gretch
Steelhead
 
gretch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 173
Default Re: Zinc annodes-(Intruder, Kodiak 350)

Thanks : )
gretch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Cast to



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:53 PM.

Terms of Service
Page generated in 0.34843 seconds with 31 queries