IFish Fishing Forum banner

Alaska Kanektok River Guided and Do it yourself trips!

23K views 45 replies 19 participants last post by  Fish Hawk Adventures 
#1 ·
Looking for a true Alaskan fishing adventure? Do you want to get away to a remote location with out all the other boats and hustle like on the Kenai, or the Nush or some of the more popular destinations? Did your season get closed or restricted last season? If you are a true outdoors person and would like to experience one of the most pristine rivers in Alaska. Please check out my camp on the Kanektok River. Here is my web site http://www.fishhawkadventures.com/Alaska/index.htm

The fishing for salmon on the Kanektok is some of the best Alaska has to offer. The river is the perfect size for easy casting and the water is easily readable. Water clarity is superb which makes even the presentation of a fly successful. Our camp is located within 1 mile of the head of tide and the salmon are fresh and in prime shape. The run is so healthy it's not unusual to hook 10 to 30 kings a day, plus jacks, chums, silvers and rainbow. I have had anglers land over 40 fish a day on fly gear only.

You can fish many methods on the Kanektok and you will find each of them successful. These include back trolling, back bouncing, side drifting, drift fishing, bobber and jig, center pin, spey and fly fishing. This is the perfect river to accommodate each anglers chosen technique.

GENERAL INFORMATION
Fish Hawk Adventures- Kanektok King Camp is by definition a remote wilderness fishing camp. You will sleep and eat in tents, and you will catch fish until your arms are sore and your back aches. You'll spend quality time with quality people like yourself and you’ll be stunned by the awesome productivity of the Kanektok.

THE FISHING
Sturdy, 16-foot jet boats are used for transportation. Most fishing is done from shore or from the boat, depending on guest preferences and fishing conditions. Wading on the Kanektok is extremely easy. With almost no rocks larger than your fist, older guests have no problem moving around the river. The Kanektok River provides a wide variety of fishing scenarios, ranging from large tidewater sections to small, ‘trout stream’ side channels - all within a 15-minute boat ride from the camp. With its combination of salmon species and its exceptional clarity, the Kanektok is renown as one of the best locations in the world to target king and silver salmon on the fly. The Kanektok flows 110 miles from its headwaters at Kagati Lake, through the 4.5 million acre Togiak Wilderness Reserve, to the Bering Sea. The river is home to the famous Alaskan "Leopard Bows" – spectacularly colored rainbow trout named for the amazing profusion of spots that cover their body. These wild rainbows attain trophy size and are available throughout the season both in the main river and the many tributaries. Other resident species include arctic char, Dolly Varden, and grayling.

ACCOMMODATIONS
Accommodations while at camp are in very comfortable, sturdy Alaskan wall tents with vestibules. A separate drying and gear tent is provided for waders and other clothing. Hot showers, hot and cold water, and outhouses are provided. Overall the accommodations are very comfortable, warm, and clean!

LENGTH OF STAY
Standard fishing packages are five fishing days and four nights. For larger groups, there may be some schedule flexibility due to the proximity to an airstrip with regularly scheduled flights.

KING SEASON
June 19th thru July 10

SILVER SEASON

End of July thru all August

KANEKTOK RIVER PACKAGES

Fully Guided Packages are $3,300 for 4 nights and 5 guided days
Self Guided Packages are $2,000.00 for 4 nights / 5 Non guided days

How to get to the Kanektok Camp? You take Alaska airlines directly to Bethel. Now if you have an Alaska airlines visa card, or if you open one you get a free ticked each year. A lot of my people utilize this feature of the card just to get to Alaska each year. Once you in Bethel you hop on a smaller plane and fly into Quinhagak. It is about $180 round trip from Bethel to Quinhagak and back to Bethel.

Please call me or email me if you have any questions or would like additional information.

Joe Salvey
Fish Hawk Adventures
Joe@fishhawkadventures.com
503-349-1411

See less See more
#2 ·
Joe,

So what do you get on the unguided stay? Boat access or just walk the banks from camp? If so, how far can you walk. While I enjoy a guided trip from time to time, I'm thinking I could probably do enough damage to the fish to make an unguided stay worthwhile. :flowered:

#3 ·
A few years ago I read an article about a raft trip down this river just to fish
The guy who wrote this article said he caught so many fish the first day that the second day he could barely pick up his rod let alone cast
Since then I have always wanted to go
This place sounds like fisherman's heaven

#4 ·
How did that high water last August treat you guys?? I heard someones camp got flooded out. I was on a 8-day trip on the Kwethluck during that storm and it was brutal weather. Still had a great time but man it took some mental fortitude to push on with a positive attitude after the river came up a couple of feet.

#5 ·
Unguided Trips include a boat, so if you can fish all day long and all night if you feel like it. It is a really easy river to fish and if you can catch a few fish down here, you can wear yourself out on fish up there.

Joe,

So what do you get on the unguided stay? Boat access or just walk the banks from camp? If so, how far can you walk. While I enjoy a guided trip from time to time, I'm thinking I could probably do enough damage to the fish to make an unguided stay worthwhile. :flowered:

#14 ·
Bump..........................for my next trip :whistle:

I'm gonna do this next year!! 2012.

Gotta get it done before the end of the world. Does anyone know WHEN the world is supposed to end in 2012?
Yes, if I remember correctly, December 21st 2012. Which happens to be my- EX wife and my anniversary! I should have known my wedding day was going to be on the darkest day in the hisory of mankind! :D

#15 ·
Guided the river in 89...

best summer of my life!!!

I now live in Alaska... and this is still the river I call HEAVEN ON EARTH!

I look forward to going back someday...

if you have time and funds... i highly recommend this river!!!

just never never keep the rainbows... and it will stay as it is now...

Go Get um Joe!

#18 ·
Alaska is a cool place for sure. Just listening to Joe talk about his camp tonight made me start day dreaming of one of the neatest places on the planet.

Self guided could be the ticket.....Now I just need to find a way to get there !

Anyone have room in their luggage?:bearhug:

I'm putting together a crew for 2012.

I could fit you in my bag and you could be our unguided GUIDE. :meme:

#19 ·
Yes I have plenty of rods and reels, I can furnish all that you need, or you can bring your own gear and use what you need from my gear if you need to.

So, if you do a self guided trip and choose to rent a boat to back bounce or side drift will I be able to purchase eggs there or would it be easier to bring them up? This sounds interesting and may be a cheaper way to get back up to Alaska again this year.

#21 ·
Hi guys my uncle and I did this trip last year and are doing it again this year it was a blast it was like going camping and fishing with your best buddys fishing was awsome we could go out for a couple hours after dinner and put a half a dozen fish in the boat in now time. The limts are very good up there we where able to bring back a 100 pound of fish each. A week before this trip I was at a very expensive lodge and was very disopointed in the fishing was not at all what I was hoping what fishing in alaska would be It was tough for everbody in the boat to get there 1 fish for the day and to get that fish we had to sit in a hog line from sun up to 10 pm most days I keep think to my self I could be at home doing this. Guys dont think twice about booking at Joes camp it is what you would think fishing in alaska should be and even more. Lets se if I can get this pics to load.

#22 ·
Brett
Your not the first person that has said just what you said about the camp. Fishing on this river is spectacular. Many people have fished all over Canada and Alaska come to this river and simply state this was the best fishing trip they have ever been on.

Silver fishing is off the hook up here also. I have the fly guys hooked up with triples all day long on ho's

I can't wait to get back up there this summer.

Any one of you looking at this trip, please call me or message me and I can give you more details about the trip.

As with anywhere the economy has not recovered totally yet, so I still have some openings in the prime dates for 2011

#23 ·
You do not need eggs, it is a no bait river. You do not need bait to catch fish, there is so many fish that you do not have to use bait.

Yeah, I'm a hardware guy anyway. I love swinging a BC steel spoon on the Nush and have caught many kings that way. Spinner rock too. Red and white, green dot or rainbow............what could be better? Maglips!

might have to try those silvers some time...................

Can't do this year, all the vacation time is gone. I'll be in touch for 2012. I have a couple guys interested in getting a group together. How many to a boat,tent and in camp each week. ?

#24 ·
I'm putting together a crew for 2012.

I could fit you in my bag and you could be our unguided GUIDE. :meme:
:flowered: I do love to fish....... :pray::pray::pray::pray:

I was boarding the plane last year on my way home from the Nush, when Joe had to stop and show me the big fish of the trip:thisbig:. Yeah, we held up the line boarding the plane by taking our time looking at fish pics.......

#25 ·
Yeah, I'm a hardware guy anyway. I love swinging a BC steel spoon on the Nush and have caught many kings that way. Spinner rock too. Red and white, green dot or rainbow............what could be better? Maglips!

might have to try those silvers some time...................

Can't do this year, all the vacation time is gone. I'll be in touch for 2012. I have a couple guys interested in getting a group together. How many to a boat,tent and in camp each week. ?
I like to run 3 guys a boat for non guided, I can do one group of 4 in a boat. We sleep 2 per tent and I can have 10 to 12 in camp a week.

I wish you could make it this season, looking forward to seeing you in 2012

#26 ·
Hey guys right now Alaska Airlines is having a sale on there milage program, so you can buy miles and you get 30% extra miles.

So lets say you want to use you milage program to fly up to Alaska this season, you need 25,000 miles to get a round trip ticket. Right now you can purchase 26,000 miles for $550.

This is the best price to get to Alaska to see my camp. This is like 30% to 50% off the normal ticket prices.

The offer is good utill March 31st, and you do not need to book your ticket by then just purchase your miles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.