IFish Fishing Forum banner

TDB/Bankes Boats (Duck Hunter Confessions)

36K views 29 replies 18 participants last post by  cj6530 
#1 ·
Wife says she needs to be convinced that a TDB or Bankes boat is what I really need before next Duck Season.

With that being said; could some of those with experience in these boats give me some pros and cons about these boats.

I am really only interested in comments about these particular boats or any that are extremely similar.

I am considering either the 14ft or 17ft. Don't need anything bigger as I rarely hunt more than 3 guys.

Thanks in advance.

JB

#3 ·
I've noticed the same, if I could make the argument on your behalf, I would have one myself.
Ultimately, I think you will need to convince yourself this is really needed.
What about the blackjack??

#5 · (Edited)
I have a TDB14 (Not Sea Class). I have had it for probably 15 years now. Here is my input, in no particular order.

1) Very SAFE. Built in foam. With blind up, virtually no way to take a wave. I hunt Lewis & Clark in pretty nasty stuff, feel very safe.
2) 14 allows me to drag boat in shallow water, and hide easier. I'm not sure I would even want the 17 for what I do.
3) 2 guys/2 dogs hunts fine. 3 guys fine for transport. Pretty crowded shooting 3 from the boat.
4) If you get one, I will email plans of some custom decoys bags I had made at Beckel Canvas. They take advantage of the long skinny space under the rails, and give you a clear isle up the middle of the boat. (I carry 5 dozen ducks & 6 goose floaters)
5) The hard top is worth it's weight in gold. You can have the boat loaded, gassed and locked up, on ready 5. That way it doesn't become a storage unit, and the ******** can't get your dekes if you stop for lunch.
6) With 2 guys/2 dogs loaded will do about 28-30mph with 25 HP. (note: mine is a 1996. A friend has an early 90's, which weighs noticeably more than mine, and does not perform as well.)
7) It crabs real nice too.

It is a fantastic boat. I've been absolutely thrilled with it. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Tom

#7 ·
I have the 14' Bankes, ditto what NeverGuess said. For me the biggest difference is safety. Twice I have been caught in gale force winds and was glad for the investment. I'm old and want to stay that way! Great boat to hide, but as mentioned above a little cramped for 3 hunters. I hunt all over the place, and I've never been sorry for the purchase. In addition to crabs, great for fishing too. And the locking top:meme:.

#10 ·
I hunted out of a 18 foot willie predator for years. I bit the bullet on a TDB 17ft classic this summer and i will never go back to the willie for duck hunting. I had the TDB in some nasty stuff a couple weeks ago at boardman and it handled it with ease. Easy to hide, floats in 4 inchs of water, easy to slide on the mud when the tide goes out. I love it!!!

Dave

#12 ·
Mine crabs great. You kinda pull out & up to get over the side. In reverse, I can run figure 8s around my floats.

The rail makes a nice spot to rest the ring while sorting crabs without even bringing the pot in the boat if you want.

#13 ·
I have been able to talk my wife into several of the boats you are mentioning. My wife is mostly interested in two things: #1 me getting home safe, #2 me being succesful so I'm in a good mood when I get home. Please keep in mind that your wife is probably interested in the same things and their stopping point is usually the money.

One thing to consider when talking with your wife about boats (and duck boats in particular) is that one boat will not do it all! The master plan is to have several boats so that you can do it all. Make sure not to oversell any one boat or you will limit your opportunity to acquire the (2nd place) boat in the future.

I have a TDB, Bankes, Outlaw and others and would be happy to talk with you regarding the benefits of each.

Good Hunting!

#14 ·
Sounds like our wives would get along well.

Bought a 14 TDB, but found out I don't use it as much as I thought I would. Too many friends and dogs :doh::doh:

Now it's for sale and the 23' Super Vee is going to be the new duck boat. I figure I can hunt 3 guys and 2 dogs pretty easy. Can also carry 4 rats/pods if I take the seats out. :D:D

Already have the blind figured out and should be ready next season for sure.

#20 ·
Lots and Lots of limits have been killed out of his 20 footer on the columbia, whats another 3 feet? Not a big boat, but I have killed more birds out of my old 16 foot boat without the blind than with it on, sit still and be patient they will come right in, they aren't as smart as some think.

They kill lots of limits out of this, 23 foot sled= Easy!

#28 ·
We have the Bankes 21' and I have also hunted out of a friend's 17' Bankes. Our boat we can comfortably hunt 4 people and a dog inside not on the transom. I would say 3 people is the comfortable max for the 17'. We went bigger because we intend to use the boat for crabbing and fishing. We haven't had any issues finding a place to hide the "big" boat.

One of the nice things about the boat is the included blind canvas and the framing. Made it very easy to grass the boat and also to attach the makeshift blind cover we made. Not sure if TDB offers something similar or not. Also the guys at Bankes had very good customer service when we were dealing with them.

With the blind cover up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.