Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Life in General

Notices

Old 05-18-2017, 04:08 PM   #61
crabbait
King Salmon

Default Re: Employees and drug use

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLEDDER View Post
Productive people in society are getting hard to come by.
That's called prejudice, sport. Might read this...

The Productivity Secrets of Successful Stoners
http://www.gq.com/story/the-producti...essful-stoners

Quote:
I'm not gonna feel one beer. I'll bet a dope smoker feels a bowl.

And hey, whatever floats your boat (this is ifish, so that phrase is appropriate), I just don't see the comparison between drinking beer and smoking dope.
I completely agree, the comparison is flawed.

Maybe if you spoke to someone in the pharmaceutical business they could explain that alcohol affects motor skills and inhibition centers. Basically you end up with someone clumsier but convinced he can. "Hol' my beer and watch this!"

The pot smoker will "feel" his bowl but it won't make him walk funny or feel like doing things he wouldn't generally do.

Advertisement

Old 05-18-2017, 04:11 PM   #62
D4D
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladdershy View Post
A recreational toke. A recreational beer...... and then beat goes on
Bladdershy, if you started work tomorrow and someone came up and tapped you on the shoulder and said come with me Mr B . And you were taken directly to a trailer and asked for a sample, without any pryor clue that it was going to happen , would you gamble your reputation on the sample being clean ?

Last edited by D4D; 05-18-2017 at 04:43 PM.
D4D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 05:51 PM   #63
driven2fish
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lingslayer View Post
I just love reading stuff like this.

It's almost like those 14 years I smoked didn't exist.
It's almost like those people I had to fire because of weed never happened.
It's almost like the stoner that ruined a hunting trip never took place.

Almost, but not quite.

Sorry you wasted 14 years of your life with a pot addiction.

That is sad probably lost your best workers.

Anyone could ruin a hunting trip pot had nothing to do with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
driven2fish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2017, 06:00 PM   #64
4Salt
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C View Post
Years of misinformation from Reefer Madness and ridiculous Just Say No policies appear to still have influence over people.

There's dozens of positives to weed. In states where it has been legalized, people are using it to replace addictive and highly dangerous paharmaceutical pain-killers. You know, things that actually kill people.

That right there is enough of a reason to endorse it.

I know quite a few people who reduced their alcohol consumption switching to weed when it became legal. Better health and no hangovers at work, making them more productive employees.

While I think weed is much better for society than alcohol, I do think alcohol has many positive benefits too. We are just too PC to be able to appreciate the positives of weed or alcohol out loud. Everybody likes to sit on their high horse and denounce others for their use, without looking at the positives. Plenty of marriages have started with that very first step of a man "buying a drink" for a woman.

Plenty of great business relationships have been made over a couple people having beers at a happy hour, or celebrating at a Christmas party.

There's plenty of good reasons to enjoy these legal enhancements to everyday life. Humans have been enhancing their experiences for thousands of years... There must be a reason for it.

Don't do it at work. Don't do it right before work. But if some guy wants to smoke a joint on a weekend after busting his butt all week for some job.. Let him do it.

Our jobs overtake WAY too much of our lives already. Now these companies own our time off too? That's ridiculous, and IMO, immoral.

If he shows up drunk or high fire him.

Hell take it a step farther...

If your employee does a bad job because of what he does in his free time... fire him. If he shows up hungover from alcohol, sleepy from playing videogames all night while stoned, out of breath from smoking too many cigarettes, or slow and lazy cause he eats too much junk food.... Well, then fire him.

But if he gets the job done and does it well.... Who cares what he does in his free time? If it bothers you, it's because you are a judgemental person, and maybe should be worrying about the skeletons in your own closet instead.
I'd say Joe C. summed up my feelings on the issue perfectly!
Old 05-18-2017, 06:03 PM   #65
Bladdershy
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4D View Post
Bladdershy, if you started work tomorrow and someone came up and tapped you on the shoulder and said come with me Mr B . And you were taken directly to a trailer and asked for a sample, without any pryor clue that it was going to happen , would you gamble your reputation on the sample being clean ?
Legally they can't be handling a urine specimen for a drug screen and if they try I'll be on the phone with my lawyer. Has to be done at a controlled lab and administered by a registered lab tech. And yes, I have knocked on wood recently
Bladdershy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 06:04 PM   #66
D4D
Chromer

Mr B. I mean on disrespect, I'm on your side
I could care less, as I stated earlier , it not for me, some can , some can't

The question that asked earlier happened about 4 ? years ago, out in Hillsboro at a well-known construction site (completely fenced )
Monday morning, safety meeting, 10 minutes in they had all gates locked, they announced - line up! random UA !
From what I was told (my son) there were guys trying to climb the fence. They cleaned house.
I also worked " heavy construction ". Long time ago (35yr) I decided it's not worth the hassle. I know many guys that are pro's at beating it if given the chance, but ... what if ?

As I stated before , I really don't care , pot? booze? All the same to me . Except mj is under the microscope.

Ps. The site I mentioned above, many 100's of worker were present

Last edited by D4D; 05-18-2017 at 06:09 PM.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:05 PM   #67
pearl
King Salmon

Been a long time since I have been called in for a random.

Last time my number was drawn I showed up at the testing clinic after work, I checked in, filled out the paperwork and the lady behind the counter handed me a small cup and pointed to the rest room. I asked her for a Penthouse magazine and told her it would go a lot faster.
Look on her face was priceless.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:58 PM   #68
lingslayer
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by driven2fish View Post
Anyone could ruin a hunting trip pot had nothing to do with it.
That's odd, the cop that arrested him said it had everything to do with it.

He said normally he wouldn't arrest the guy, but that tokin' up with a rifle across his lap was going too far.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:34 PM   #69
driven2fish
Tuna!

Quote:
That's odd, the cop that arrested him said it had everything to do with it.

He said normally he wouldn't arrest the guy, but that tokin' up with a rifle across his lap was going too far.

How did that ruin your hunting trip? Did you just stop hunting in solidarity?

driven2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:42 PM   #70
Maverick Maxcat
Ifish Nate

I LOVE my jobs as a Charter Captain and Hunting Guide/Firearms Instructor. If I don't test clean, every time, they're gone. No dope of any kind, max 2 drinks per night, usually none or one. The Feds make the rules. IMHO, if ya need to get f***ed up, ya just need more hobbies to keep ya busy! Way better than "altered states". I don't even have time to watch TV!
Maverick Maxcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:50 PM   #71
Grizz86
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by freespool View Post
Until it's challenged in court.

I almost got this chance. A federal work place and a supervisor working there was a veteran having done 2 tours in Iraq and another in Afganistan. He was caught off the premises smoking pot. He had a medical card. The interesting part was he had been referred by the VA to the DR who had prescribed the marijuana for a service connected condition and the VA was paying the Dr bills. The kid took a small payoff to let it go and walked away. Would've been an interesting case.
Grizz86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:05 PM   #72
Dave G
King Salmon

Here is the kicker. The Federal Government someday will say Okay marijuana is now legal to use. Yeah!!! BUT, you still can not be under the influence at work. Be it beer or marijuana, you test positive, not good.

Dave G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:24 PM   #73
lingslayer
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by driven2fish View Post
How did that ruin your hunting trip? Did you just stop hunting in solidarity?
We took two pickups the length of the state to hunt elk. Both were loaded for a 10 day camp/hunt. One of those pickups belonged to the toker.
The guy kept his stash under the seat of his pickup, and the nice policeman found it after the arrest.

So, toker didn't come back to camp that night. We start looking for him one hour after sunset as agreed upon. It wasn't until about 9:00 PM we talked to someone who knew the story. We got a hold of the cops and sure enough, toker jailed and truck towed/impounded.
On Monday the nice judge turned toker loose, and allowed him to have his truck back, but not his hunting license or rifle.
So toker wants to go home.
And things went downhill from there.

Any other questions about that "innocuous" little bag of weed?
Old 05-18-2017, 09:39 PM   #74
Root Hog or Die
Ifish Nate

Quote:
We took two pickups the length of the state to hunt elk. Both were loaded for a 10 day camp/hunt. One of those pickups belonged to the toker.
The guy kept his stash under the seat of his pickup, and the nice policeman found it after the arrest.

So, toker didn't come back to camp that night. We start looking for him one hour after sunset as agreed upon. It wasn't until about 9:00 PM we talked to someone who knew the story. We got a hold of the cops and sure enough, toker jailed and truck towed/impounded.
On Monday the nice judge turned toker loose, and allowed him to have his truck back, but not his hunting license or rifle.
So toker wants to go home.
And things went downhill from there.

Any other questions about that "innocuous" little bag of weed?
Your hunting trip was ruined by an idiot. The weed was just something he was being an idiot with. Nothing wrong with safe, responsible, moderate, non-abusive use of either cannabis or alcohol. But, like so many things, idiots try to ruin it for everybody else.
Root Hog or Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:59 PM   #75
lingslayer
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Root Hog or Die View Post
Your hunting trip was ruined by an idiot. The weed was just something he was being an idiot with. Nothing wrong with safe, responsible, moderate, non-abusive use of either cannabis or alcohol. But, like so many things, idiots try to ruin it for everybody else.
Hmm, so it's just a coincidence that when I quit hanging around tokers, I met far fewer idiots?

Well, I suppose you could be right.
But I've found that most people benefit from taking every opportunity to use good judgement. And in my experience, weed impedes/impairs one's ability to do that, often times in ways similar to alcohol.
YMMV

Have a nice day.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:38 PM   #76
Root Hog or Die
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Hmm, so it's just a coincidence that when I quit hanging around tokers, I met far fewer idiots?

Well, I suppose you could be right.
But I've found that most people benefit from taking every opportunity to use good judgement. And in my experience, weed impedes/impairs one's ability to do that, often times in ways similar to alcohol.
YMMV

Have a nice day.
Odds are you probably still hang with a few people that toke-up. But they probably use it responsibly so you don't even know or notice. They don't use substances that impair their mental or physical abilities and then get out the firearms or drive a car. They don't show up at a social function stone when nobody else is, knowing that is no fun for anybody. They don't talk all the time about how stone (or drunk) they where last weekend, because that boring conversation should be left back at being 19 years old. No, they probably just enjoy an occasional relaxing evening, enjoying a little bong weed with the wife. Something different that a glass or two of wine. Nobody's business but their own, which is why you don't even know. Until some employer gets an unnatural obsession with the urine of the employees, thinks he is Joe Friday and treats his employees like prison inmates. Personally i never have and never will work for someone that make turning over my bladder juice a condition of my employment. If they trust me that little, it is best we part ways. If they want some of my body's waste products that bad, then a pile of my poop will be on the boss's desk Monday morning, along with my letter giving two weeks notice.

Last edited by Root Hog or Die; 05-18-2017 at 11:41 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:19 AM   #77
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Pearl... You coulda asked her to come in and help if ya got stuck. From the movie, The Right Stuff.
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 06:37 AM   #78
pharmseller
King Salmon

Quote:
Odds are you probably still hang with a few people that toke-up. But they probably use it responsibly so you don't even know or notice. They don't use substances that impair their mental or physical abilities and then get out the firearms or drive a car. They don't show up at a social function stone when nobody else is, knowing that is no fun for anybody. They don't talk all the time about how stone (or drunk) they where last weekend, because that boring conversation should be left back at being 19 years old. No, they probably just enjoy an occasional relaxing evening, enjoying a little bong weed with the wife. Something different that a glass or two of wine. Nobody's business but their own, which is why you don't even know. Until some employer gets an unnatural obsession with the urine of the employees, thinks he is Joe Friday and treats his employees like prison inmates. Personally i never have and never will work for someone that make turning over my bladder juice a condition of my employment. If they trust me that little, it is best we part ways. If they want some of my body's waste products that bad, then a pile of my poop will be on the boss's desk Monday morning, along with my letter giving two weeks notice.
I lost a friend at Weyerhaeuser in Springfield, he got killed by a guy driving a forklift. Pee test came up dirty. I'll bet Ronnie's family wishes that guy quit before he killed Ronnie.

That was a bad phone call.

P

If you rifle hunt with ANYTHING BIGGER THAN a 7mm-08 you're a sissy and should wear pink panties.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Thoreau

Being offended doesn't work anymore - Jonathan Pie

Magazine!

19' Arima SC
C-44 South Beach Marina

pharmseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 06:44 AM   #79
jvp
King Salmon

humor in those that still have a refer madness mind set.

you have probably voted for president one of these.

an alcoholic
a former coke head
a former pot head
a womanizer
a paranoid schizophrenic

and your thinking that the guy you work with is a danger because they gets stoned on their own time. i have known doctors, lawyers, judges and a guy who was responsible for a 2 billion dollar budget who smoke. actual knowledge of things is what we should be looking for and there is little and no real testing that has gone on on the subject. just fear mongering, racism and fraud.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:12 AM   #80
Joe C
King Salmon

Quote:
You still hang around tokers... They just don't tell you because they know that you'll judge them.

The state made 54 million last year selling recreational weed to adults, but you think you don't know any of them.

Lots of successful adults, ex military, retirees, etc... who have been smoking it in secret for years. Even though it's legal now, people still keep it secret because there are a lot of people who have a preconceived notion of who someone is based on what they choose to enjoy in their free time.

That mindset is changing... It's just going to take some people longer than others to figure it out.
Joe C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:32 AM   #81
lingslayer
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C View Post
You still hang around tokers... They just don't tell you because they know that you'll judge them.

The state made 54 million last year selling recreational weed to adults, but you think you don't know any of them.

Lots of successful adults, ex military, retirees, etc... who have been smoking it in secret for years. Even though it's legal now, people still keep it secret because there are a lot of people who have a preconceived notion of who someone is based on what they choose to enjoy in their free time.

That mindset is changing... It's just going to take some people longer than others to figure it out.
I didn't say I don't know them. I know a number of them. And I don't have animosity towards them because I don't have the preconceived notions you speak of.
I did say I don't hang around with them though, and everyone involved seems to be fine with that.
My thoughts on the matter weren't conceived without personal experience. Lots of it. From my use of the drug as well as watching its effect on others.
Sure there are functional weed smokers. Just like there are functioning alcoholics.

So it appears you're the one with the preconceived notions.

Last edited by lingslayer; 05-19-2017 at 09:35 AM.
lingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 10:17 AM   #82
Root Hog or Die
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmseller View Post
I lost a friend at Weyerhaeuser in Springfield, he got killed by a guy driving a forklift. Pee test came up dirty. I'll bet Ronnie's family wishes that guy quit before he killed Ronnie.

That was a bad phone call.

P
Sorry about that. But was he actually under the influence of the drug when the accident happened, or did the company just use the fact that he came up positive, from a joint he smoked the weekend, before as a way to try and limit their liability. I've seen it both ways.

I've personally seen far more human tragedy with alcohol. But I don't want people fired from their job or a company to claim an accident was alcohol related because somebody went out drinking with is buddies 4 days ago. An employer has every right to demand a drug and alcohol free workforce - while at work. But what somebody does in therir personal life is there own business. With the Pee test they are going too deep into my personal live and privacy.

(You also reminded me that the best forklift driver I ever knew, happened to be stoned pretty much all the time. Never the less, he could drive circles around everybody else and was also the safest one on the crew. I also knew a stock broker that always reeked of pot, but also had the respect of everybody that worked with him. I couldn't do that, a couple hits and I wouldn't be able to work, nor would I want to. Being at work stoned sounds awful.)
Old 05-19-2017, 10:25 AM   #83
Han Solo
Mr. Carkington

I'm pretty picky about who I work for. If you (the employer) are worried about what I do in my free time then you can hire someone else.

That also goes for any hint of judgemental attitudes in general. If you are one of those employers then you most likely have no idea what talented and creative people you have judged and rejected.

I don't do drug tests because I CHOOSE not to. I refuse to give in to closed minded judgemental people. Works for me.

Alcohol KILLS many thousands of people every year. Car wrecks, chronic disease, broken lives and homes. It is legal because of the taxes that are generated and because prohibition utterly failed.

"That's like ... your opinion, man." Jeffrey Lebowski, AKA the Dude
Han Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 11:42 AM   #84
Ichthyolic
Steelhead

Wow, this has/is a very good thread where many of you have made some excellent points! I'm impressed - and agree, whether a user of MJ or not, we are still in the infancy of legalization and I hope eventually the end result if fair and justifiable. I do think that alcohol has been underrated for the damage it can do though.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:52 AM   #85
Eagleclaw
King Salmon

Employers have rules if you don't like them then become your own boss.

I've worked for companies that forbid tobacco use on and off the job.
Eagleclaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 01:01 PM   #86
pharmseller
King Salmon

Quote:
Sorry about that. But was he actually under the influence of the drug when the accident happened, or did the company just use the fact that he came up positive, from a joint he smoked the weekend, before as a way to try and limit their liability. I've seen it both ways.

I've personally seen far more human tragedy with alcohol. But I don't want people fired from their job or a company to claim an accident was alcohol related because somebody went out drinking with is buddies 4 days ago. An employer has every right to demand a drug and alcohol free workforce - while at work. But what somebody does in therir personal life is there own business. With the Pee test they are going too deep into my personal live and privacy.

(You also reminded me that the best forklift driver I ever knew, happened to be stoned pretty much all the time. Never the less, he could drive circles around everybody else and was also the safest one on the crew. I also knew a stock broker that always reeked of pot, but also had the respect of everybody that worked with him. I couldn't do that, a couple hits and I wouldn't be able to work, nor would I want to. Being at work stoned sounds awful.)

No way to tell. All we know is a good woman lost her husband and three kids lost their dad.

And the guy who killed him had dope in his system.

P

If you rifle hunt with ANYTHING BIGGER THAN a 7mm-08 you're a sissy and should wear pink panties.

Thoreau

Magazine!

19' Arima SC
C-44 South Beach Marina

Old 05-19-2017, 01:18 PM   #87
NEUTRON
Ifish Nate

funny to me the pro pot folks start the argument that alcohol is so bad and destructive...

all the bennies from POT.

Mr maxcat put it best
Old 05-19-2017, 01:56 PM   #88
Root Hog or Die
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEUTRON View Post
funny to me the pro pot folks start the argument that alcohol is so bad and destructive...

all the bennies from POT.

Mr maxcat put it best
Usual it only starts when people who drink start slamming those that smoke a little.

Really, it is the difference between use and abuse.

My mother is 88 years old. Was never much of a drinker, even though my dad was; big time. For some reason, about 4 or 5 years ago, she decided she would have one beer or a glass of wine a day. Whatever, she is 88, she can do what ever the hell she wants. If she decided she whats to finish off a half gallon of Jim Beam a day for the limited time she has left on this Earth, who gives a rats ass, if it is what she wants. But she doesn't, just one drink and doesn't even always finish it. Anyway, when we took her to the doctor last year. The doctor asked if she drank. We told him that she has been having a glass of wine or one beer a day. I glanced at the chart and saw the doctor wrote down Alcoholic. Seriously?!?!!? Do people not understand the concept of moderation! Somebody can have a drink and not be an alcoholic. Or, toke up once and a while and not be a stoner. Needless to say we no longer see that idiot M.D.

Moderation in all things, including moderation. Heck, you got to cut loose once in a while.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:02 PM   #89
SlamminKokes
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smj View Post
Hopefully in the NEAR future a test can be developed that will differentiate between someone who's partaken and under the effect while at work, and those that treat weed like a beer/cocktail or two before dinner or on weekends.

It's not right that someone that can get falling down drunk every night is fine as long as they show up and do their job, but someone who gets high on the weekend is considered unfit to work for the company.
But how do you know it's only on the weekend? What if it's for breakfast?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Old 05-19-2017, 02:04 PM   #90
cptdarel
Sturgeon

Quote:
No way to tell. All we know is a good woman lost her husband and three kids lost their dad.

P
unfortunate loss, but if they tested farther and got the facts of what they call "proximate cause" as to why.........he could have had turkey or a hamburger in his system too............

“Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's needs, but not every man's greed.”
Mahatma Gandhi
cptdarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 02:06 PM   #91
SlamminKokes
Tuna!

Quote:
So it's perfectly legal to buy and use, but you can get fired for testing positive, sounds like the rules need to change to reflect reality.
Yup, just l Iike buying a 5th of whiskey. Perfectly legal to buy and drink but you can get arrested for driving and killing someone. Sounds like the rules need to be changed.

Old 05-19-2017, 02:12 PM   #92
SlamminKokes
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by biofisher View Post
I think the point is that you can use marijuana, or even be exposed to 2nd hand smoke, 30 days before a test and still test positive. Obviously, that doesn't mean you are impaired at all when the test was taken. Alcohol is a different issue altogether. If you test positive it is highly likely there is some level of impairment. When do we start testing politicians who make these laws???
Not true, I know people who have passed tests 4 days after smoking

Old 05-19-2017, 03:09 PM   #93
s20055
Tuna!

Quote:
So it's perfectly legal to buy and use, but you can get fired for testing positive, sounds like the rules need to change to reflect reality.

You can get fired for a number of reasons; being "under the influence of a controlled substance" is one of the better reasons. Also, showing up to a job interview or the first day of work "under the influence" speaks volumes as to the quality of work you will produce.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream or an elk trail, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."
s20055 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 03:20 PM   #94
freespool
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by s20055 View Post
You can get fired for a number of reasons; being "under the influence of a controlled substance" is one of the better reasons. Also, showing up to a job interview or the first day of work "under the influence" speaks volumes as to the quality of work you will produce.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I don't think there's any argument about firing a employee for being under the influence, it's firing them for traces of a legal substance that's the issue.

"A curious thing happens when fish stocks decline: People who aren't aware of the old levels accept the new ones as normal. Over generations, societies adjust their expectations downward to match prevailing conditions." Kennedy Wame
freespool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 03:24 PM   #95
Han Solo
Mr. Carkington

Quote:
funny to me the pro pot folks start the argument that alcohol is so bad and destructive
I'm not necessarily pro pot. But I am absolutely anti-stupid. And the US drug policy we are recently returning to is stupid to an epic degree no matter how you look at it.

It is an objective fact that alcohol is destructive to those that abuse it and others who get in the way. There is no debate on this. We've known in this country for at least 150 years. Look up the word objective if you have no idea what that means. While you are at it watch the PBS program by Ken Burns on Prohibition. If I bring that subject up it is because you conveniently ignore that problem while trying to create one that most likely does not exist.

We just don't know yet if pot has the same issues. Most now agree that there are not the same life changing issues with weed that we have with prescription drugs or alcohol. With Cannabis being illegal for so long now .. no one is very motivated to volunteer info or be in any studies to that end. Not when you have stupid people in undeserved positions of authority that are trying to drag the country back towards prohibition and the drug war.

BTW how's that drug war working for you? I should say the drug war on people because that's what Richard Nixon had in mind for controlling those pesky, dirty, smelly, hippie, Viet Nam protesters and the 'not like us' folks that were pushing civil rights. Are we any closer to solving the drug problem by just saying no and spending piles of money incarcerating more people than any other country on this planet?

We could turn that statement you made around and talk about the 'personal responsibility' that the judgemental folks of a certain political persuasion use to blame the victims of crime, poverty or racism. And most often this theme is used by the judgemental to excuse their responsibility (taxes, contributing to the society we all rely on to live our lives) to care for the least of us. Most of the judgemental have no idea what personal responsibility is and have certainly never applied it to their own lives. They are just too busy trying to tell everyone else how to live.

Fact is if you are so worried about what others are doing with their free time then most likely your own personal business needs a lot more attention from you.

You only know about the people who abuse drugs or alcohol and also do not exercise personal responsibility. The others that have a little rip or drink on off time and that are actually responsible work right alongside you and you have no idea.

My question is this ... who will be the first to die of a weed overdose? That person deserves a statue or something. Meanwhile about 240 Americans will die today of alcohol related causes. 5.9% of all people who die every year .. die of this problem. Someone I am closely related to died of this problem. So yeah, its personal.

Think I will go home now and have some homemade whisky to finish off my week. I will enjoy it immensely and responsibly. And I will mind my own business not yours while I do so.

"That's like ... your opinion, man." Jeffrey Lebowski, AKA the Dude
Han Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 05:56 PM   #96
CptnMorgan
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagleclaw View Post
Employers have rules if you don't like them then become your own boss.

I've worked for companies that forbid tobacco use on and off the job.

Which in the state of Oregon it is illegal to forbid the use of tobacco off the job. There is actually a senate bill right now that will amend this law to say "all legal substances in the state of Oregon." The only loop hole is if your union agrees to forbid it.

Oh the irony, how many unions will pop up of this law passes?

Old 05-19-2017, 06:00 PM   #97
CptnMorgan
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlamminKokes View Post
Not true, I know people who have passed tests 4 days after smoking

I know you get completely lit on Friday and pee clean Monday.

Random UA at some companies are an absolute joke. A lot of companies will never random UA a highly productive worker if the suspect they are a user.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:05 PM   #98
CptnMorgan
King Salmon

Default Employees and drug use

What I find ridiculous is you use to be able to buy CBD salve from Amazon. Now thanks to our current AG any extract coming from cannabis, doesn't matter if it comes from Marijuana or hemp, it is now illegal.

So I guess when the last of my salve runs out I will call my supervisor, tell him my back is screwed up again and be given handfuls of opioids to keep me out of a wheel chair.

But cannabis has no medical value.

Oh wait synthetic THC is legal, but I don't like the idea of eating people's faces off.

Last edited by CptnMorgan; 05-19-2017 at 06:07 PM.
CptnMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 06:20 PM   #99
Smj
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlamminKokes View Post
But how do you know it's only on the weekend? What if it's for breakfast?

I don't know. But I figure that the science/medical community should be able to come up with a test that can determine if a person used in the past 8 hours? 24 hours? Three days ago? If the feds would just get off their but and schedule weed like alcohol we might be able to move past this crap and get on to much more important things.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:29 PM   #100
CptnMorgan
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smj View Post
I don't know. But I figure that the science/medical community should be able to come up with a test that can determine if a person used in the past 8 hours? 24 hours? Three days ago? If the feds would just get off their but and schedule weed like alcohol we might be able to move past this crap and get on to much more important things.

Problem is metabolism.

Let us say you have three people and they have their own vice for Friday night fun. First guy is a blackout drunk, second guy is a tweeker and the third guy smokes.

Tuesday comes around all three are normal acting and there is a UA. Toker is fired, but the alcoholic and tweeker keep their jobs. Which employee would you rather have working for you?

Old 05-19-2017, 07:08 PM   #101
4Salt
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptdarel View Post
unfortunate loss, but if they tested farther and got the facts of what they call "proximate cause" as to why.........he could have had turkey or a hamburger in his system too............
Well put cptdarel!

There is NO direct correlation between the two facts.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:37 PM   #102
pharmseller
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Salt View Post
Well put cptdarel!

There is NO direct correlation between the two facts.

This is an inaccurate statement.

The proper statement would be the presence of THC in his system does not prove impairment.

P

Thoreau

Magazine!

19' Arima SC
C-44 South Beach Marina

Old 05-19-2017, 07:59 PM   #103
4Salt
Steelhead

If that's the proper statement... then we must conclude that the presence of THC in his blood cannot be proven to be the cause of the unfortunate accident... which is pretty much what we're saying.

I don't really have a dog in this fight since I don't smoke or even drink very much. However I, like Joe C and Han Solo believe that what a person does on their own free time should have no bearing on their employment... unless they come to work intoxicated or directly affected by substance use.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:11 PM   #104
pharmseller
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Salt View Post
If that's the proper statement... then we must conclude that the presence of THC in his blood cannot be proven to be the cause of the unfortunate accident... which is pretty much what we're saying.

I don't really have a dog in this fight since I don't smoke or even drink very much. However I, like Joe C and Han Solo believe that what a person does on their own free time should have no bearing on their employment... unless they come to work intoxicated or directly affected by substance use.

Like I said, it cannot be proven to be the cause.

It cannot be dismissed, either.

P

Thoreau

Magazine!

19' Arima SC
C-44 South Beach Marina

Old 05-20-2017, 04:29 AM   #105
crabbait
King Salmon

Quote:
This is an inaccurate statement.

The proper statement would be the presence of THC in his system does not prove impairment.

P
What they are talking about is nexus, a connection between the presence of THC and the accident. It isn't about impairment, it is about connecting MJ use and the event.

There is no nexus.
Old 05-20-2017, 05:06 AM   #106
fishingls
Piscatologist

One major issue employers deal with is providing a safe work place for both employees and the general public which may interact with the company activities. Failure to do this has serious liability consequences. Those consequences can and often destroy companies.

Under current legal standards, a plaintiff attorney would hit a home run in the event of an injury where a worker involved in an accident tested positive for drug use. This is another reason why many organizations adhere to a zero tolerance for drug use.
Old 05-20-2017, 05:46 AM   #107
blacktail rattler
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave G View Post
And until it is and won, still a disqualifying act in all states. But, don't me wrong. On one hand I am not a fan of Marijuana, BUT the disparity between a legally drinking Oregonian and a legally marijuana smoking Oregonian in not right.
You wont see it accepted until there is a test to see if you smoked it at break or last weekend, like alcohol. Employers will be targets if an accident happens and employee pees dirty.
blacktail rattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 05:50 AM   #108
mikeineugene
Coho

Marijuana will eventually be legal when the government figures out how to get the maximum amount of profit from it.The current opioid epidemic and its negative effects are something i am seeing in my own family and it is truly sad.Chronic pain control is necessary for some and marijuana is a much safer choice for most with very few negative side effects.Debate on this is what we need but we must be realistic about the trend towards legalization that will eventually come so that we can allow marijuana use without having to worry about a random drug test.Just for clarity i will add that i cant drink because of diabetes and i will not use opiods because of the awful side effects but i sure would like to be able to use marijuana at night to sleep as it works very well to help with my aching joints from arthritis.Once i no longer have to worry about a drug test at work i will do as i please but sadly for now i must put up with chronic pain issues that are only getting worse.Interesting but not surprising to see the judgemental comments that some are making towards marijuana.
mikeineugene is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 06:19 AM   #109
jimh
King Salmon

What's stupid is passing laws to "allow" legal marijuana while it is still against most other rules to smoke it. Seems to me that they put the cart before the horse. BTW, our drug policies have been about the same for most govt agencies for multiple decades. It certainly didn't change significantly in January of this year.

Those who want legal pot needed reform of drug testing/company rules/govt agency policies first.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:30 AM   #110
idagriz
Cutthroat

There seems to be a surprising number of folks in this thread who think that a positive pee test means the person was under the influence of cannabis at the time of the test. This is NOT necessarily true, as implied by many posters in this thread.

In fact the test does not even test for THC (the physchoactive compound in cannabis), it test for non-physchoactive THC metabolite. Specifically your body adds a carboxylic acid group to the molecule making it more water soluble and thus you can pee it out.

The issue at hand is how companies are currently fireing employees or not hiring employees who are partaking in a LEGAL activity AND have not been proven to be under the influence at the time of the test.

If the debate is about alcohol vs cannabis in general and you live in a legal state then the debate is moot. That ship has sailed.
idagriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 09:00 AM   #111
CptnMorgan
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeineugene View Post
Marijuana will eventually be legal when the government figures out how to get the maximum amount of profit from it.The current opioid epidemic and its negative effects are something i am seeing in my own family and it is truly sad.Chronic pain control is necessary for some and marijuana is a much safer choice for most with very few negative side effects.Debate on this is what we need but we must be realistic about the trend towards legalization that will eventually come so that we can allow marijuana use without having to worry about a random drug test.Just for clarity i will add that i cant drink because of diabetes and i will not use opiods because of the awful side effects but i sure would like to be able to use marijuana at night to sleep as it works very well to help with my aching joints from arthritis.Once i no longer have to worry about a drug test at work i will do as i please but sadly for now i must put up with chronic pain issues that are only getting worse.Interesting but not surprising to see the judgemental comments that some are making towards marijuana.

Debate? Are the health benefits not admitted when major pharmaceuticals are patenting synthetic THC and trying to patent strains of cannabis to control the market of its eventual acceptance?

Old 05-20-2017, 09:08 AM   #112
CptnMorgan
King Salmon

Default Employees and drug use

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktail rattler View Post
You wont see it accepted until there is a test to see if you smoked it at break or last weekend, like alcohol. Employers will be targets if an accident happens and employee pees dirty.

You can be convicted of DUII without a positive test, the problem is impairment, not what is in your system. As an example you can have BAL in a blood test if you have a yeast imbalance in your digestive tract.

I find it funny that we have this debate but there is a real possibility of increasing the maximum alcohol percentage in drinks we consume for Non-alcoholic beverages. The current regulation is .5% and there is pending legislation to move that to 3 point something percent.

Last edited by CptnMorgan; 05-20-2017 at 09:11 AM.
CptnMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 09:28 AM   #113
Eagleclaw
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by idagriz View Post
There seems to be a surprising number of folks in this thread who think that a positive pee test means the person was under the influence of cannabis at the time of the test. This is NOT necessarily true, as implied by many posters in this thread.

In fact the test does not even test for THC (the physchoactive compound in cannabis), it test for non-physchoactive THC metabolite. Specifically your body adds a carboxylic acid group to the molecule making it more water soluble and thus you can pee it out.

The issue at hand is how companies are currently fireing employees or not hiring employees who are partaking in a LEGAL activity AND have not been proven to be under the influence at the time of the test.

If the debate is about alcohol vs cannabis in general and you live in a legal state then the debate is moot. That ship has sailed.
LEGAL WHERE??? Federal law still trumps state law.
Old 05-20-2017, 10:16 AM   #114
idagriz
Cutthroat

Quote:
LEGAL WHERE??? Federal law still trumps state law.
True, but I was reefering to use being legal under state law, that should have been implied and obvious to you. Do you think companies are letting employees go due to failed tests because they are doing something illegal or because they think they may cause harm to themselves and others? Most companies say its to make the atmosphere safe.

The point of my post I was attempting to emphasize was to point out that a positive marijuana test does not necessarily mean they are under the influence at the time of the test.
idagriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 10:32 AM   #115
pharmseller
King Salmon

Quote:
True, but I was reefering to use being legal under state law, that should have been implied and obvious to you. Do you think companies are letting employees go due to failed tests because they are doing something illegal or because they think they may cause harm to themselves and others? Most companies say its to make the atmosphere safe.

The point of my post I was attempting to emphasize was to point out that a positive marijuana test does not necessarily mean they are under the influence at the time of the test.

Good one.

P

Thoreau

Magazine!

19' Arima SC
C-44 South Beach Marina

Old 05-20-2017, 11:12 AM   #116
MaiToi
Steelhead

Pharm are you one of the ones pushing the drugs nobody can afford?
MaiToi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 11:50 AM   #117
pharmseller
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiToi View Post
Pharm are you one of the ones pushing the drugs nobody can afford?
Damn straight.

Just kidding. My drug is actually reimbursed by local Medicaid plans, including your county. They don't tend to do that for the $$$$$ drugs.

P

Thoreau

Magazine!

19' Arima SC
C-44 South Beach Marina

Old 05-20-2017, 11:54 AM   #118
D4D
Chromer

Old 05-20-2017, 12:05 PM   #119
Eagleclaw
King Salmon

Quote:

True it doesn't mean you are under the influence of THC but it does show your employer that you thumb your nose federal law and therefore you might not be the most trustworthy employee
Old 05-20-2017, 12:48 PM   #120
lingslayer
Sturgeon

Quote:
True it doesn't mean you are under the influence of THC but it does show your employer that you thumb your nose federal law and therefore you might not be the most trustworthy employee
That was the primary issue before it was legalized by the states too. At least for a couple of the employers I worked for.
Their attitude was one of:
"If you're willing to break that law, how many more laws do you think don't apply to you?"