2017 Willamette River Springer Thread - Page 13 - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Notices

Old 05-18-2017, 08:25 PM   #721
Jeffery
Steelhead

Default Re: 2017 Willamette River Springer Thread

Managed a 3 for 3 outing today. 10:30 till 3:00. The first two fish were natives, but the 3rd went in the box. The first fish was an interesting experience. I reeled up to check the herring and when the flasher and herring appeared right next to the boat a springer came and struck the bait and continued to chew on it for awhile. Test of patience to watch a nearly top water takedown from start to hookup trolling with the rod in your hands.

Last edited by Jeffery; 05-19-2017 at 02:19 PM.
Jeffery is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2017, 09:41 PM   #722
Big Game Fishing

There have been a lot of soft bites this year. Fish seem to swim up from behind the bait and just sort of chew on it forever.

I coach my guys to waaaaiiiiittttt, then when I tell them to get it, just gently ease the rod out and slowly but steadily start reeling. We've had many fish just come right to the boat before they realized they were hooked.

Today we finally had a takedown that actually took line off the reel, and a couple other times the rods loaded up good, but still some awfully soft biters as well.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:33 AM   #723
Jeffery
Steelhead

Gotta love these Springer cuts!

Old 05-19-2017, 10:00 AM   #724
Pyrojake
Chromer

1/1 Willy park. Whole herring, dragging downhill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pyrojake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 10:53 AM   #725
Ducky12555
Chromer

Went 2/3 this morning. Hot bite early then trickled off. All fish hit within the first hour of fishing. First fish in the boat at 5:45. Another fish hit, on then off at 6:20 and then the last fish at 6:45 in the boat. No other hits or misses. Seen a few caught.

Ducky12555 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 02:11 PM   #726
ohmytodd
Coho

Thumbs up Re: 2017 Willamette River Springer Thread

In the water at 6:30am, I was late for the early bite waiting in line to launch. Saw a few nets around Oaks bottom but everything seemed to settle down around 11. Decided to grind it out until 2pm, cleaned up the boat in the sun on the river and called it a day. If they shut it down Monday that was a really nice first Springer season. I put 4 in the freezer and finally managed to net a few on my own.
ohmytodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 02:59 PM   #727
fishchaser
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmytodd View Post
In the water at 6:30am, I was late for the early bite waiting in line to launch. Saw a few nets around Oaks bottom but everything seemed to settle down around 11. Decided to grind it out until 2pm, cleaned up the boat in the sun on the river and called it a day. If they shut it down Monday that was a really nice first Springer season. I put 4 in the freezer and finally managed to net a few on my own.

Good job. It gets easier as time goes on. As long as you are out enjoying the new toy. If they shut it down then you can learn a new fishery....SHAD!!
This is a fun fishery. You can catch lots, or you might not get any at all. You could be anchored next to a guy, who is knocking the snot out if them, and you don't even get a bite. Or it will be the other way around.
What's real fun, is most people are using light tackle, like trout rods and steelhead rods. Then a nice springer decides he wants what you're offering. Next thing you know, you're playing a salmon on this super light gear. It's a blast!

Member # 496
fishchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 03:13 PM   #728
ohmytodd
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishchaser View Post
If they shut it down then you can learn a new fishery....SHAD!!
Yes, that's next! I'm going shopping for some Dick Nites tomorrow!
ohmytodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 04:55 PM   #729
MsOutdrs
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Game Fishing View Post
There have been a lot of soft bites this year. Fish seem to swim up from behind the bait and just sort of chew on it forever.

I coach my guys to waaaaiiiiittttt, then when I tell them to get it, just gently ease the rod out and slowly but steadily start reeling. We've had many fish just come right to the boat before they realized they were hooked.

Today we finally had a takedown that actually took line off the reel, and a couple other times the rods loaded up good, but still some awfully soft biters as well.
I haven't had that many bites but with these fish, it feels like I might just be hitting bottom sometimes but learned quickly not to get in a hurry or jerk the rod. My fish today was a screamer but the size of a minnow. It's okay...they eat good, too. It was a fun fight and still made my knees knock when we put it in the boat. Just glad it wasn't a 30lb that fought like that! ha
MsOutdrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 06:03 PM   #730
Big Game Fishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsOutdrs View Post
I haven't had that many bites but with these fish, it feels like I might just be hitting bottom sometimes but learned quickly not to get in a hurry or jerk the rod. My fish today was a screamer but the size of a minnow. It's okay...they eat good, too. It was a fun fight and still made my knees knock when we put it in the boat. Just glad it wasn't a 30lb that fought like that! ha
Old 05-19-2017, 06:14 PM   #731
Big Game Fishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsOutdrs View Post
Several fish I've just seen a really slight twitch of the rod tip, then nothing. Keep watching it, and 10-20 seconds later it bounces a little. Keep watching it, it starts to bob up and down a little. Keep watching it, it finally starts to load up a little, but still not committed. Keep watching it, the tip finally gets pulled down near the water. Still not a full commitment type bite, but the fish is there.

At this point I tell the angler to get it. I want them to take the rod out of holder as calmly as possible, and just start reeling. It seems to work.

I'm willing to bet I'm rigging my herring different than at least 90% of the fleet. Nothing too special, but I'm making sure the bait can't be stripped off the hooks by those soft bites. I've gone to the same method year round with herring or anchovies, it just works.

Bait it good to stay on hooks, stay patient with the bites, fish end up in the net.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:39 PM   #732
jsim
Cutthroat

Quote:
Several fish I've just seen a really slight twitch of the rod tip, then nothing. Keep watching it, and 10-20 seconds later it bounces a little. Keep watching it, it starts to bob up and down a little. Keep watching it, it finally starts to load up a little, but still not committed. Keep watching it, the tip finally gets pulled down near the water. Still not a full commitment type bite, but the fish is there.

At this point I tell the angler to get it. I want them to take the rod out of holder as calmly as possible, and just start reeling. It seems to work.

I'm willing to bet I'm rigging my herring different than at least 90% of the fleet. Nothing too special, but I'm making sure the bait can't be stripped off the hooks by those soft bites. I've gone to the same method year round with herring or anchovies, it just works.

Bait it good to stay on hooks, stay patient with the bites, fish end up in the net.
That's exactly what happened to us today...soft biter pulled the cph off the top hook so it was dangling off the trailing hook. We were uber patient with it, but I'm guessing the thing stopped biting when the bait stopped spinning?

Can you share how you're rigging?
jsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 08:06 PM   #733
fishorgolf
Tuna!

Fished Willamette Park Friday, 5/19 from 7 2 2, 0 4 1, with 3 rods out, fish bit a cph and only took a 2 min ride before heading up river. We didn't see the checker but we saw about 6 nets fly in the areas we fished. I don't want to fish early buy think the parking lot will fill up by 8 am so see you there early, be safe Grant.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:14 PM   #734
Big Game Fishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsim View Post
That's exactly what happened to us today...soft biter pulled the cph off the top hook so it was dangling off the trailing hook. We were uber patient with it, but I'm guessing the thing stopped biting when the bait stopped spinning?

Can you share how you're rigging?
Sorry, but out of respect to retired guide friend that helped me develop this technique, I can't post it on the internet yet. Hopefully you understand.

That said, paying clients get full access. I've actually showed guys how to tie and rig their own, and given them rigs to use on their own boat. If some things come together, maybe I'll make a video of what I'm doing, but until then, you gotta be on my boat.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:15 PM   #735
eyeFISH
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffery View Post
Gotta love these Springer cuts!

The best parts are STILL on the carcass.

Long Live the Kings!
eyeFISH.... The Keen Eye MD
eyeFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 08:44 PM   #736
Primo Williams
Steelhead

That shoulder looks good and my friend Lucas would cut those cheeks out.
Primo Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:33 PM   #737
greenbuttskunk

I had the same experience thurs. we hooked a fish and I was reeling in the other rods to clear the deck. As I reeled in the back rod I say a springer chasing the bait under the surface. he swiped at it, turned and dissapeared. we landed the other fish. exciting. reminded me coho that go nuts for a bait in the propwash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffery View Post
Managed a 3 for 3 outing today. 10:30 till 3:00. The first two fish were natives, but the 3rd went in the box. The first fish was an interesting experience. I reeled up to check the herring and when the flasher and herring appeared right next to the boat a springer came and struck the bait and continued to chew on it for awhile. Test of patience to watch a nearly top water takedown from start to hookup trolling with the rod in your hands.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:18 AM   #738
jsim
Cutthroat

Quote:
Sorry, but out of respect to retired guide friend that helped me develop this technique, I can't post it on the internet yet. Hopefully you understand.

That said, paying clients get full access. I've actually showed guys how to tie and rig their own, and given them rigs to use on their own boat. If some things come together, maybe I'll make a video of what I'm doing, but until then, you gotta be on my boat.
I understand, good luck out there and tight lines!
Old 05-20-2017, 07:27 AM   #739
emora
Steelhead

Friday report. 6 till 2pm. 3 rods. Went 2 for 2. 7lbs and a 10 lber. both on CPH behind a flasher. One of them dyed chartreuse.Fished St. John's and HOC area. Both of our fish were caught in the same spot well away from the crowd. Don't be afraid to fish where there are no other boats, it paid off for us this time.
emora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:14 AM   #740
fishchaser
Ifish Nate

Quote:

Both fish, I've had on this year, have been questionable bites. All three of us, both times, questioned the bite.

Curt: "Hey, Tracy, your rod.
Tracy: "ahh, it's just the current"
Pete: "I saw that too". No, I think you have a fish.
Tracy: Are you sure? Hmm, that's not the current. Hey! It's a fish!

The one I lost last week came in like he didn't know he was hooked. Then he saw the boat , and BOOM he popped off

Member # 496
fishchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 01:39 PM   #741
jsim
Cutthroat

Friday report: slow all morning, then a flurry of fish caught early afternoon. We finished 0-1.

Any Saturday reports out there?
Old 05-20-2017, 02:09 PM   #742
OCTrollin
Steelhead

Thursday: after work 4-8 0/0 but enjoyed it all the same.

Friday: Butt fishing out of Newport. Chicken Ranch. 500-600' deep. We caught 4 and released 1. Limited the boat. Fought a really nice one for over an hour only to lose it 50' from the boat. Oh well.

Saturday: 2/3 with a boat limit for my wife and I. Caught a couple nice snowbellies!

I might actually have too much springer. Time to fire up the smoker I guess.

Friday:

Saturday:
OCTrollin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 02:53 PM   #743
Mr.Kitch'nPass

Finally got out Thursday and don't think I could have picked a better day if I tried. Took one of my sales guys, his wife and Mr's KP for day of fishing. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. Fished the Channel pulling green label and ended up 5 for 8. Glad to get some fish in the freezer finally!! Thanks to my friend Darin for showing us a great day!

Official ifish car geek!
Daves Ifish Page
Mr.Kitch'nPass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 04:06 PM   #744
Jeffery
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeFISH View Post
The best parts are STILL on the carcass.
Those parts were also saved, just after this photo was taken.
Old 05-20-2017, 04:15 PM   #745
FryFish
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCTrollin View Post
Thursday: after work 4-8 0/0 but enjoyed it all the same.

Friday: Butt fishing out of Newport. Chicken Ranch. 500-600' deep. We caught 4 and released 1. Limited the boat. Fought a really nice one for over an hour only to lose it 50' from the boat. Oh well.

Saturday: 2/3 with a boat limit for my wife and I. Caught a couple nice snowbellies!

I might actually have too much springer. Time to fire up the smoker I guess.
Great photo of the Halibut. Nice colors. I don't know why everyone always takes pictures of the white side...
FryFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 04:28 PM   #746
joeer77
Steelhead

Fished 8:30-12:30 today. Fished two spots in the channel and saw nada. Went and trolled the head of the channel and my dad pulled this springer with plain plug cut herring behind a Bill Monroe Killer flasher. Water temp 51F in the channel, 53-54F in the Willamette. 26" fish. 8lbs. I didn't see it but a neighboring boat told us a sea lion was on it's way to snatch this fish up.

Very slow day and did not see any other fish caught.
Attached Images

joeer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 05:00 PM   #747
Denneroll
Steelhead

Fished 5:30 to 3:00. 1/1 ProTroll with herring. Started at Willamette Park and saw one released. Then trolled down to Gundersons where the fish hit. A boat said they had 2 so we hung out in that area. It pays to ask others how they are doing

Denneroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 06:57 PM   #748
Happy ours
Steelhead

Name:  3127.jpg
Views: 1275
Size:  9.5 KBcaught this fish Today[ATTACH]Name:  0520171913.jpg
Views: 1263
Size:  63.4 KB[/ATTACH]caught on Protroll and spinner,now I have food crab bait and Pikeminnow bait
Attached Images

Happy ours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:49 PM   #749
AnnaDraMoss
King Salmon

This evening, 15lb/32" hen. caught bouncin' a prawn

Don't take your eyes off the prize folks!

As long as Our current Rogue Commissioners have a seat, nothing is safe. Our Governor put them there and allowed things to get this far with no push back. I have zero reason to trust her judgement.

Do NOT take your foot off the throttle. Continue to fight until this issue is dead. If you let pressure slip, even for a minute, they will try and weasel thru.

"Flatfish" (nice version)
AnnaDraMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 10:24 PM   #750
ampersat
King Salmon

1 for 2 today out of Willamette Park. Picked up my buddy at 2p and probably had rods in the water by 3p, just in time for shift change. I had no interest in dealing with super packed parking lots this morning and Fazzi likes to do the morning shift at OFB on Saturdays anyway.

Lots of long faces as we got things underway. After a few hours of trying this and that my rod takes a hard bounce. I'm running the counter at 30, we're in 40'+ of water and I look back to see my rod dive again. Fish on!! Respectable fight for a 9# snowbelly and in the cooler it goes. IIRC, it's the first time Fazzi's netted a fish for me and he did a fantastic job of it.

Had a couple other "is that something" events but nothing stuck.

Up and down we troll. Sometimes we switch out gear, replace baits, adjust depths. Up and down we troll.

Getting near the end of a downhill, Fazzi's rod starts doing something funny so he gets up to investigate. Figuring we'd shallowed up I look over and sure enough my rod is dragging away. I pop the rod out of the Folbe Jr. and Hey! That ain't bottom, it's a fish!!

A hand-off isn't something that happens too very often on my boat. Let's just say I did a lousy job of it and not say anymore about it please. (In reel life, I popped the rod out of the holder, gave it a weak hookset and stuffed it into Fazzi's chest at a time when he really wasn't ready for the transfer and the fish happily proceeded on its way.)

We did a few more laps after that but no more love was to be had.

I'm putting today in the win column and the victory dinner will have to wait for tomorrow as it's late and I'm just done processing fish.

The days are long but the years are short.
ampersat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 04:29 AM   #751
4 REEL
Tuna!

1 4 1, 6 2 12. Willamettte park. Troy didn't have his rod in the scotty 3 minutes. Saw half dozen or so.
Attached Images

Old 05-21-2017, 05:26 AM   #752
Bladdershy
Steelhead

Got to go out yesterday morning. Too bad I had to be home by 10am for family stuff. Out of Willy park at 5am. Pro troll with a 3.5 brass blade red body spinner and fish flash and green herring trolled at 25 ft on the line counter didn't get any love. Saw maybe 4 fish caught from spaghetti factory up to Willy park. Pretty dead if u ask me

Last edited by Bladdershy; 05-21-2017 at 05:28 AM.
Bladdershy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 06:02 AM   #753
Proteus503
Steelhead

Nice day yesterday! Lots of fish around, lets hope its not our last opportunity!

We finished 2 for 6, one cookie cutter, one decent size (12lbs?).

Lots of short bites! We were fishing prawn spinners. The folks around us were mostly backtrolling eggs and doing really well!

The sealions killed at least a dozen (that we saw) while we were out above 205.

Should be some good passage over the falls this week with the water temp back on the rise and the flows normalizing (columbia dropping). Hopefully they get the numbers they are looking for and allow us to continue to fish!

Cheers!
Proteus503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 06:50 AM   #754
biederboat
Sturgeon

Well it's a lucky boat as well! Got one on a slow day on the new "RB Boats". Started at Willy Park just before 6, 5 rods, trolled downhill to mouth of Swan Island lagoon. Restarted at Willy Park and got this sub-10 pounder right out of the docks. CPH with a flasher.

If you want to read about the new boat, check it out here: http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=1419122

biederboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 07:59 AM   #755
NEUTRON
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by biederboat View Post
Well it's a lucky boat as well! Got one on a slow day on the new "RB Boats". Started at Willy Park just before 6, 5 rods, trolled downhill to mouth of Swan Island lagoon. Restarted at Willy Park and got this sub-10 pounder right out of the docks. CPH with a flasher.

If you want to read about the new boat, check it out here: http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=1419122

Congrats on putting a fish in the new ride. Good choice! 9 months is a good turn around time...

Jim is also very active NWS... you left that part out. Busy man.
Old 05-21-2017, 12:17 PM   #756
Denneroll
Steelhead

Did anyone in OC observe any dedicated Shad fisherman? And their results. Or was it too crowded. I have two tomato beds, and want to do Springer parts vs Shad below the roots . And I need a reason to not work in 90+ beat down weather Monday. (Hot weather in a boat doesn't count)

Denneroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 01:30 PM   #757
FishinTechnician
Tuna!

4 for 9 fishing Kwiks and Maglips in the Channel on Friday and Saturday. As good fishing as I have ever seen in late May. Still ahead of last years tally at this same time. Still good numbers of fish around. Definitely smaller fish than I have ever seen. Lots of 8-10 lb fish. Better fishing just ahead if they come to their senses and let us continue to fish even for just a few days a week.
FishinTechnician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 03:59 PM   #758
sinkerhead

Sure hope that wasn't it yesterday. Was pretty crowded, but really nice. I launched at Fred's at about 6:30 and trolled all the way up to the Fremont. 1st hour I pulled a couple in-lines with CPH, but got everything ready to switch over to Pro-trolls and VIP 3.5s. Got both rods back in the water and I got back to the wheel just in time to hear the Okuma start screaming. By the time I got back to the rod, I saw the rod pop up straight, dang ! Fish took a chrome/scale Pro-Troll with a Mexican Hat with 12oz and the depth at 19' on the counter in deep water. Saw a few caught and really had a flashback when I got to the Fremont. Does anyone remember the Fishing the West episode with Gary Krum and Larry fishing double orange wiggle warts at 10 pulls with 10oz ? Did a little searching this morning to see if I could find that show ... no dice. I remember having it taped on VHS and watched it over and over. Probably what got me started trolling the Willy for Springers.
sinkerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 04:18 PM   #759
pearl
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinkerhead View Post
. Does anyone remember the Fishing the West episode with Gary Krum and Larry fishing double orange wiggle warts at 10 pulls with 10oz ? .
I do. Had to be twenty years ago but I tried it after seeing the show and I hooked a Springer with in the first ten minutes.
Works when the Willy gets warm and loses it current.
Miss Gary and think of him often while fishing fall chinook in Tillamook.
Old 05-21-2017, 05:19 PM   #760
SandyRiverRon
Chromer

Gary Krum, great guy outstanding angler. Stopped many times at his place in Bay City to visit, damn cancer. Boy he sure could put the hurt on sturgeon in the Columbia....
SandyRiverRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:24 PM   #761
Beefcake
Sturgeon

I hope they keep it open. There are a lot of fish in the system; they just haven't been biting well with all the water dumped over Bonneville. We only went 1/3 on Saturday (one didn't stick, and my friend's kid lost one at the boat), but it isn't because the fish aren't here.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:39 AM   #762
SoylentGreen
Tuna!

Kind of a slow day in the harbor on Saturday. Fished 05:30 to 14:00. No hits, no runs, no errors. Was hoping for more action given the reports. I did see a few caught. there must have been 100 boats. If anyone needs a primer on how to launch at B10 with a ton of boats behind you then Cathedral Park on Saturday was the place.
SoylentGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:52 AM   #763
JHawKS
Tuna!

Friday got a trollmaster pro 2 installed & the top taken off the boat. Saturday it was time to take a spin up the willy to the HOC. The weather was the best of the season, and on our way back down river our back rod starts dancing. My 5 year old clears the other rods, and we get our first springer (10lb hen) in the new boat to the net. Great feeling and man oh man does that trollmaster make life easy. 13' on the counter with a pole dancer & fatal flash spinner.
JHawKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 05:40 PM   #764
Ducky12555
Chromer

Anyone get any word on it being open or closed this Thursday ?

Ducky12555 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:23 PM   #765
Amahnee
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denneroll View Post
Did anyone in OC observe any dedicated Shad fisherman? And their results. Or was it too crowded. I have two tomato beds, and want to do Springer parts vs Shad below the roots . And I need a reason to not work in 90+ beat down weather Monday. (Hot weather in a boat doesn't count)

There was a solid 8-10 boat Hogline in the Garbage Hole today about 2:30 when I went over the Abernathy.

Really surprised to see those boats in a straight line too. Shad guys aren't normally like that. 😎
Amahnee is offline   Reply With Quote