Prineville - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Bass and Panfish and Walleye Oh My!

Notices

Old 05-12-2017, 02:13 PM   #1
puckfisher
Chromer

Default Prineville

Good news: crappie bite is on everywhere. Bad news: they're all small.

puckfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2017, 02:54 PM   #2
Fishing4LifeVO
Cutthroat

Default Re: Prineville

What was the water temp?
Fishing4LifeVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 03:14 PM   #3
dirtman
Tuna!

The Super Bassomatic 76 also works great for small crappie...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BQFv83QJ2Y
dirtman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-12-2017, 03:32 PM   #4
DogZilla15
King Salmon

I have the standard model. Doesn't do a very good job on the scales. Much better with hatchery trout. Might have to upgrade.
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 06:34 AM   #5
chukardave1
Tuna!

How small is small? Think the numbers are up over past years?
chukardave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:29 AM   #6
Bert2o
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by chukardave1 View Post
How small is small? Think the numbers are up over past years?
Small is 3 to 5 inches.
Bert2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:41 AM   #7
adrenaline
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert2o View Post
Small is 3 to 5 inches.
Thats Tiny, small is 6 to 8 inches. do the Crappie ever get big in Prineville?
Old 05-16-2017, 09:13 AM   #8
Bert2o
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenaline View Post
Thats Tiny, small is 6 to 8 inches. do the Crappie ever get big in Prineville?
You can come across some bigger crappie on occasion. I think people take too many bass out of Pville. Strangly enough it seems bigger crappie are usually more common where there is a healthy bass population.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:12 PM   #9
puckfisher
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert2o View Post
You can come across some bigger crappie on occasion. I think people take too many bass out of Pville. Strangly enough it seems bigger crappie are usually more common where there is a healthy bass population.
They are all about 6 inches. It is early and maybe the females will show up a bit bigger. Yes, there are some big crappies in Prineville. A few years back, the numbers were down but 11-13 inchers were there for those who worked for them. There are a lot of really big largemouths in Prineville. I don't hear about people taking them out but that is a possibility. I think this will turn out to be an excellent crappie fishery over the next few years.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:57 PM   #10
team anarchy
Ifish Nate

I doubt Prineville will ever be a descent Crappie fishery. They have been there for YEARS and have always been small. My Opinion Only.
team anarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 04:34 PM   #11
SlamminKokes
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by team anarchy View Post
I doubt Prineville will ever be a descent Crappie fishery. They have been there for YEARS and have always been small. My Opinion Only.
They need some greedy kokanee fisherman to go and cut the population in half!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Old 05-17-2017, 05:27 PM   #12
puckfisher
Chromer

Quote:
That is not true. I have taken many fish in 10-13 inch range every year. Not monsters for sure. It is a fishery that is very strange and you must fish early and late in day and continue into fall. Areas that look good are not and visa versa. For years I have moved some fish around the reservoir to put them in different spots. These were all nice fish. Let's see what happens with this crop of 6 inch fish.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:50 AM   #13
chukardave1
Tuna!

There were about 3-4 years from around 2004-2008 where there seemed to be alot of crappie, not huge, maybe 7-8". Then for reasons I can't explain they seemed to disappear. I quit trying to find them and moved on to other lakes to fish. I really hope they can make a comeback. I don't mind the those sized fish and can sit and filet for hours. Nothing much better than a good crappie fish fry. May have to give it a go late summer/early fall
chukardave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 04:29 PM   #14
puckfisher
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chukardave1 View Post
There were about 3-4 years from around 2004-2008 where there seemed to be alot of crappie, not huge, maybe 7-8". Then for reasons I can't explain they seemed to disappear. I quit trying to find them and moved on to other lakes to fish. I really hope they can make a comeback. I don't mind the those sized fish and can sit and filet for hours. Nothing much better than a good crappie fish fry. May have to give it a go late summer/early fall
The good crappie cover is gone. There used to be juniper trees chained together and sunken. Washed up years ago and replaced by pvc pipes. Bass clubs should sink some more real cover. We have discussed this in past posts. ODFW or BLM won't do it.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:59 PM   #15
team anarchy
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckfisher View Post
The good crappie cover is gone. There used to be juniper trees chained together and sunken. Washed up years ago and replaced by pvc pipes. Bass clubs should sink some more real cover. We have discussed this in past posts. ODFW or BLM won't do it.
Hey, I remember the brush piles being sunk. I also remember the PVC stuff (they talked about it in the newspaper). I bet you are right about the habitat loss. Prineville is mostly a barren desert reservoir (upper reservoir is slightly different). It is mostly an irrigation pond for farmers, which is what it was built for.
team anarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:15 AM   #16
puckfisher
Chromer

Quote:
Hey, I remember the brush piles being sunk. I also remember the PVC stuff (they talked about it in the newspaper). I bet you are right about the habitat loss. Prineville is mostly a barren desert reservoir (upper reservoir is slightly different). It is mostly an irrigation pond for farmers, which is what it was built for.
Fish can grow in this environment. It is the best place for bass and crappie in Central Oregon. It is heavily used and enjoyed by many. Nobody wants spiny ray fish in the High lakes. Even when they lower the lake there is sufficient water to prevent fish kills on a large level. ODFW has transported many(thousands?) of fat largemouths from Davis. Waterskiing and camping are excellent. There are some whopper small mouths in there. In summary, this is a valuable resource that some city or group should take under their wing and improve with projects that all could enjoy.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:32 AM   #17
Bert2o
Steelhead

Something I've noticed is there isn't a whole lot if any vegetation. No weed lines, or anything other than the man made/placed habitat for smaller fish to hide and grow up. That may also factor into the size & population of fish in Pville.
Old 05-20-2017, 03:30 AM   #18
Big Bubba
Steelhead

Puck: " In summary, this is a valuable resource that some city or group should take under their wing and improve with projects that all could enjoy."

Could not agree more. I thought the Bend Bass and Panfish Club was involved with this reservoir? If not, it would be a good place to start.

Would also think there are enough local fisher people in Prineville and county to begin a group. One ad in the local paper or on Facebook should get the ball rolling. Maybe have an ad on some of the reader boards for motels and other businesses. Then build on that.

Econo Lodge is a good motel that could supply a meeting room. Plus they have free popcorn.

Also have good high tech corps plus Les Schwab Tires there. Their employees recreate at the reservoir and should be willing to participate. Could also seek funds from their employers.

Several years ago, State Parks had one park ranger that was keenly interested in improving habitat. He placed several log booms in strategic parts of the lake. But I did not see those log booms last year. I felt State Parks was interested and could bring some of their resources to the agenda.

I like the sound of Friends of Prineville Reservoir. I live in Washington but would be a donor. Plus when I am there in the fall, I would be willing to participate in a project.
Big Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:19 AM   #19
puckfisher
Chromer

Good ideas. Being so close to Prineville, you would think the city would recognize the potential value to tourism and jump in. The two major launch areas are nice and kept clean. If there were a couple dozen areas of deep cover established, I think the crappie fishing could be exceptional over the years.