IFish Fishing Forum banner

How to use a flasher for trout?

12K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Jeremy 
#1 Ā·
Folks,

I need some ideas on how to use a small size flasher when trolling for trout for lakes. I'm having problems getting it deep and am ending up with a lot of line twist.

Here's the criteria:

• Trolling in a lake
  • Using a driftboat, using just the oars (no motor)
  • Doing this with younger kids that are learning how to fish (so ideally it would be a simple set-up, as I am spending a lot of time tying hooks, providing food, and making sure they don't fall out of the boat)
Right now I ma using a couple of small size "Big Al's Fish Flash" flashers. Are there other flashers better suited for this? What should I use for terminal gear? Ideas are greatly appreciated!!!!

#2 Ā·
Instead of a flasher, try something like a lake troll or a ford fender. Add a desired amount of lead and send it down. If you want to continue to use flashers, swivels and more swivels. I like the bead chains above and below the flasher. Use bigger rods and more weight to get it down.

Folks,

I need some ideas on how to use a small size flasher when trolling for trout for lakes. I'm having problems getting it deep and am ending up with a lot of line twist.

Here's the criteria:
  • Trolling in a lake
  • Using a driftboat, using just the oars (no motor)
  • Doing this with younger kids that are learning how to fish (so ideally it would be a simple set-up, as I am spending a lot of time tying hooks, providing food, and making sure they don't fall out of the boat)
Right now I ma using a couple of small size "Big Al's Fish Flash" flashers. Are there other flashers better suited for this? What should I use for terminal gear? Ideas are greatly appreciated!!!!

#4 Ā·
Use a rudder and make sure you use a good quality ball bearing swivel. I prefer the Sampos but once in a while you still get a bad one. Don't twist your line up and change the swivel and throw the old one back in your box to be used again. Throw it away. I don't know how many years I would do that just to use it again and have it screw up a spool of line, but I am a slow learner. :smirk:

#5 Ā·
Run a keel sinker or banana sinker (1/2 oz is usually enough but you can go as deep as you want with a heavier one) in front of a gang troll or flash lite troll. If you have long rods you can run a sinker a few feet ahead of a size 0000 dodger. In either case run a fly about 3-4' behind the dodger or gang troll and tip it with a bit of worm or maggots or corn. Pretty much foolproof! A skunk, wooly bugger or leech in black or olive, or a muddler minnow, usually does the trick. K flies are great in winter time... probably good in summer too but I haven't tried them.

Another great option for kids is just flatline a small (1-1/2 or 2") silver and black rapala, with or without a couple of split shot ahead of it if you need to get deeper. A needlefish is also a good option, either by itself or behind a dodger. And finally you can use the same rig you use for shad, a diver (mag wart or hot-n-tot without hooks) with a dick nite or needlefish behind it.

#7 Ā·
Kids and big rigs dont match up well, lotsa stuff to tangle and not much fun with heavy weights. A simple weighted spinner will work, and its fun. Try some different sized rooster tails. dont troll to quick, go plenty slow, just enough to spin, and you can add corn or worm for fun. a few big split shot well up the line will help, and stop the line at the right spot for the kid to lift the trout up.

#8 Ā· (Edited)
For Kids (Since I still technically am one :D), I'd have to say KD has it right. Probably the most simple setup you can get, plus it puts fish in the boat. Have done it plenty of times myself and have had lots of success. My favorite for trout is a 1/8 oz to 1/6 oz (you can go bigger or smaller) sized Black Roostertail with a silver blade. It's killer.

#10 Ā·
Ok,
A lot of you folks have mentioned a "rudder". Being new to the trolling game, whatr is the definition of this? One person said it comes with the flasher. The one I have (Big Al's Fish Flash) does not appear to have one.

Can someone help me out with what is meant by a rudder?:shrug:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.