IFish Fishing Forum banner

Bear back-up gun- S&W 642 38 Special??

17K views 45 replies 32 participants last post by  Grass Hopper 
#1 ·
I'll be bowhunting for bears this spring and would like a back up gun with me. I currently carry a 40cal auto and it is quite heavy and having to remember the safety, while I'm wetting myself, is a concern for me. This seems to be a very light weigh gun with no exposed hammer to hang up on brush, and is alloy and SS for rust reduction/cleaning in the field. I originally was looking for a 357, but was told with a 2" barrel that the knock down power isn't much different.

What are your thoughts?

Bryan

#2 ·
I'll be bowhunting for bears this spring and would like a back up gun with me. I currently carry a 40cal auto and it is quite heavy and having to remember the safety, while I'm wetting myself, is a concern for me. This seems to be a very light weigh gun with no exposed hammer to hang up on brush, and is alloy and SS for rust reduction/cleaning in the field. I originally was looking for a 357, but was told with a 2" barrel that the knock down power isn't much different.

What are your thoughts?

Bryan

If you go with the +P model, it's very close to a .357! I'd be worried about cats more than bears, but that's just me.

#6 ·
Let's see.. 4 rounds at the bear, then one for yourself.
Seriously, get a 629 44mag with heavy +P rounds. It will have the heft and sight radius needed to calm your tremor and hit what needs killing. Even better would be a 45-70 or a riot-gun with slugs, but thats probably not allowed if your bow hunting. I got charged by a Holstein Bull while quail hunting 15 years ago, and I was sure glad I had the slugs. Fortunately the electric fence stopped him by frying his sensitive parts after he tried to go over it in chase. It wailed the most god-aweful sounds.

#10 ·
Let's say the bear is happily munching berries, and you walk up on it. What do you think will happen? It will probably run, but what if it doesn't? What if there are cubs nearby? Maybe your arrow only wounds an unsuspecting bear and it sees you. Maybe now it wants to climb your tree, in a really bad mood. These are the plays for a really powerful handgun.

#11 ·
I have had a lot of handguns but not what you'd call educated on them by any means. What I do know is that bears can have a lot of fat and mussle to penetrate and I'm not sure I'd trust that to a 38 spec. I believe I'd consider something on the order of a mod 29/629 ect and I'd use 44 Spec loads in it. Something on the order of a 240gr hard cast SWC will give about the same velocity as any 38 spec load with a heavier bullet that should penetrate better and have much more manageable recoil than a 44mag. Using a gun as a back up is no place to try what you have as opposed to what is better. I would suggest the best backup would be a buddy with a rifle if you feel you'll need a backup.

Keep in mind that if you really should need a backup, your already gonna be very close, the bear will probably bolt rather than taking the time to see where you are and if it runs at you, you'll have to unload the bow, draw a handgun and get off a somewhat aimed shot in a very short time span. Are you up to that without shooting yourself in the thigh?

#12 ·
For black bear, cougars and two leged animals in the woods; carry as a back up gun: I think the perfect weapon is the airlight SW .357mag at 11.5 oz.; 750$

Go ahead and beat that for reliability, wieght, carryability and power.

Ten bucks says that 44 mag ends up in the truck when you need it.

#14 ·
Ten bucks says that 44 mag ends up in the truck when you need it.
Bingo! We have a winner!

I get ribbed every year for carrying my 3" Model 66 .357 up north. But guess what revolver spends more days in the field every season. If I were paid $1 for every pound of super dude magnum revolver iron left in camp each day I could buy an island. Granted, it's not the best option in a hairy situation, but .357 mag vs .000 ain'tgotitwithme; .357 wins every time.:twocents:

E

#15 ·
having spent a number of years in the bush of alaska and being very close to LARGE bears not the little black we have down here i can say from experience that it is best to not shoot rather make loud noise and wave your arms fast. don't run, don't charge just make plenty of noise and slowly step towards a save zone. unless a bear has to attack they would rather not fight.

back when i worked up there a fellow from another lodge that pulled a 4inch 44 out and poped a griz. the shot at 15 yards under extreem stress hit the griz between the eyes. the shot pulled a wad of fur and skin from mid nose to the between the ears and left what looked like a bad hair piece. that ended the contact with that bear but it was a problem bear with a real bad attitude and had to be put down by the Park Circus

bears are note a real threat as i see it but if your out sneaking around for game in camo a cougar is the real threat as they may be putting the sneak on you.

#16 ·
I agree with Bigjake and Nehalem guy. After owning a 44 magnum for many years, and not packing it because of the weight/bulk, I opted for the Smith Airweight 38 +p. If money is no object the 357 would be better.
I carry the Airweight nearly every day, usually in my pocket.

As a side note, a former neighbor killed a 200 lb. black bear with one shot from a Harrington Richardson 22 magnum revolver. I skinned the bear for him, the bullet had passed through both lungs and lodged against the skin on the other side.

#17 ·
I've carried all kinds of handguns over the years, having taken 5 bucks with my S&W M29. I've tried Smith .45 Colt DAs, M66 .357, Colt 1911 .45 ACP, 8 3/8" M27 .357, ,45 colt SA sixguns--they'll all work under pressure, as long as the shooter does HIS job. And, yes, a .22 will kill a bear dead, but that'd be my LAST choice. Using the proper bullet in the correct place you can put/keep a bear down. The odds of that as a necessity are slim, but you can never tell. A +P .38 might work, if you shoot correctly, but there are definitely better choices. However it goes, best of luck to you!

#18 ·
What is the world coming to? 17 posts into a thread about enough gun for bears and no one has suggested filing off the front sight if you go undergunned. I love that joke - cracks me up every time.

I usually pack my 357, particularly when I am off by myself. I don't know if it is enough to stop a bear but I'm more worried about discouraging 2-legged trouble. In the remote chance that I do get tangled up with a ornery bear, I am sure that I can make enough noise with it to raise a ruckus and I'm reasonaly sure that I can do some damage if he gets close enough for me to actually hit him with the thing.

#19 · (Edited)
I would prefer something 0.4x caliber with a bullet wt of 250+gr, hardcast at 900+fps. In fact, that is what I carry! 255+gr hardcast, .452, at ~900fps. Great penetration and very controllable out of an N-frame. Mine is 26oz (S&W 325PD). Had a 4-5/8" SBH (44mag), but at 42+oz it got heavy after a few miles.

No disrespect meant here, but if you think you'll be fumbling with the safety on the 40, what is the 40 used for? Is it a range toy? It must not be your concealed carry weapon. I also do not like safeties on my self defense handguns. I like revolvers and DAO pistols.

I would consider selling the 40 and 38 and getting 2 different handguns. One for concealed carry around town, and another one for the woods. It sounds like you might want to get something without a safety for around town (or some professional training) and a big bore revolver. I would be careful about getting too much gun for hunting though. Even a 629 or 625 Mtn Gun gets heavy hiking up and down hills. They weigh the same as that SBH I had. A lightweight 45colt, 44spl, or 45ACP using hardcast bullets should take care of most things in the PNW.

If you must go with what you already have, I would consider practicing more with the 40 and try one of these loads:

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_26&products_id=210<non-sponsor links removed. Please respect the forum rules>
I have not used those two loads in particular, but have used others with great results. The other thing you may want to consider would be to take the 38 and bear spray.

#20 · (Edited)
IF you intend to shoot a charging bear with a pistol, then by all means take the one you shoot trap with...

In other words, it is my opinion that if you can't hit a straight flying, steady moving target that you're ready for, you won't scratch a real life charging bear.

This is the stuff people who spend a lot of time indoors, spend a lot of time thinking about.

I'm not intending to hurt any feelers here, I know this is a very happy site, but a guy who takes archery equipment out to do battle with a bear, has got to leave the truck expecting he can get it done. IF that's not your bag, then leave it to the guys who think they can do it.

#22 ·
I have a .357 with a 4" ported barrel because I worry more about cougs and tweeks. I would say bear spray should be a first intervention, if possible. Then, if that doesn't work, hope you get a damn good shot with a snubby .38 special:twocents:

#23 ·
I believe theres no replacement for 2 things :
1) placement - good bullet placement.
2) displacement - big holes in nasty critters the largest you can use accurately.

That said most any gun beats no gun. :twocents:

#24 ·
That's not entirely true, about most any gun. If the bear is wounded, has you zeroed in and really is coming for you, I doubt that at that moment you would have minded carrying a Sherman tank in on your hip. But if you find your in that position and you draw your 38 snub nose, I suspect your going to feel a bit inadequate!

If on the other hand the bear is simply trying to get away and you take a shot with that 38 and wound it, it may decide to seek retribution on the way out and then it becomes a case of you had better stop it!

As for placement and displacement, I couldn't agree more!

#26 · (Edited)
Having access to several of the Revolvers mentioned here (642, 629-Mtn. Gun etc.), here is what I DO carry!

(Yeah, I know, lots of ppl here have probably seen these pics before! "Good" doesn't change:wink:)

It's the smallest, lightest, handiest "serious" Revolver I own!

S&W Mod. 60-10, 3" ported barrel in .357

Like others here, I think that big cats and ******** are a greater concern than Bears, but you WILL carry this when you wouldn't a .44 Mag. or .454! :smash:

It's TINY, relatively light, and CONVENIENT worn on your hip.

Yes it DOES have a Hammer, but you're probably not going to snag it on anything if carried in a holster like this (or you could have the Spur bobbed off for D.A. only?)

Here's a "regular size" S&W .357 4" next to it.

In Pic #2 those are a couple of Goose Calls ~5" long.

:twocents:

:cheers:

#29 ·
I've taken some bear with a hand gun. For what its worth I'd forget a 38.

If you use a 45 Colt (hand loaded. Not an ACP), 41 Mag, 44 Mag you can be warm and fuzzy. I have done most of my work with the 41. I've taken numerous hogs (down south where I had a pig hunting deal for 11 years while stationed there in the service) 10 or 15 deer, and my largest moose to date was taken with the 41 mag. in 1994. Other moose have been taken with a 30-06 & 45-70 which I really like for big stuff in the woods. I handload for all my guns (currently 9 calibers) (except 22 LR and steel shot for waterfowl).

#30 ·
I have archery hunted black bears and always have been confident with a .357 mag as my sidearm in Oregon.

When I hunt in Alaska on Prince of Wales Island I don't have to worry about Brown bears but the Black bears are just bigger up there. I used to carry a 357 mag now I carry a 44 mag and here is why. When I shot a 7 foot+ bear with my bow in Alaska for the first time I felt that I wasn't carrying enough gun. I shot him at close range on the ground and was never nervous but when I walked up to him he was just too big for my 357. I felt if he turned on me I needed more punch. I now have a S&W 629 44 mag and it is just right.

The most important thing is that you carry a gun. If you choose a huge gun that is too heavy to be practical you will probably stop carrying at some point. In that case it's better to have a 38 special than no gun at all. In Oregon I don't feel it's worth carrying my 44 mag around because of it's size. In Alaska it fits the situation. If I am hunting the mainland in Alaska which has a lot of large Brown Bear I carry no less than a 454 but preferably a 500. In Oregon I have confidence in a 357 mag. :twocents:

Remember carrying a small gun is better than no gun at all. Good Luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.