IFish Fishing Forum banner

Smartphone Fishing Diary/Log

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  NeedleRat 
#1 ·
I've realized I need to start tracking what I catch. I plan to get a Rite in the Rain notepad and then just add to a spreadsheet at home. But if there are any good Android apps for this, especially ones that export I might go that route as well.

Anyone have experience and/or recommendations?

Cheers!
Jeff

#3 ·
Been in the habit of using written notes that are re-created perhaps a day or two after the fact. I often have to rely on my younger crew (Canyon Man is the best at this stuff) to help refresh my memory if I don't do it right away. (Uh how many bites did we get this morning? How many hatch? How many above the bridge? Was that on bait or a spinner?) I'm sure I've missed a bit of un-recalled action over the years.

This past year, I tried to text my notes on my iPhone to avoid losing/soiling handwritten notes. That worked OK, but I recently found something even better. I just discovered the voice recorder on my iPhone for doing dictations.

Gonna try to discipline myself to start using it on the water or at least when we pull out of the ramp at the end of the day. Maybe that'll make things a bit more accurate at the end of a multi day trip.

#4 ·
I've been using an app called 'MaxJournal' for my iPad, not sure if they have an Android version. It isn't fishing a fishing specific log but works well. Features I like most about are...

• Secure Password protection
  • Access to all your journal entries across years, months, and days
  • Fullscreen Calender View
  • Add photos to a journal entry
  • Photos can be added directly to your text, with automatic text wrapping, and full control over positioning and rotation!
  • Searching by Text, Keyword Tag, Ratings or Most Recent
  • Timestamping (for multiple entries in 1 day)
  • Exporting your whole journal, or selected time range (email, text, PDF, Secure PDF)

#9 ·
I keep a log as a Word file. Several things I like about it are:

1) It's archival: Word files will be around and readable for the rest of my life, unlike iPhone apps. My automatic computer backup copies it for added security.

2) You can add photos

3) Allows search function

4) On the river, I can email myself notes, then copy and paste them into my fishing log

5) I customized my own template. It's fast

I can't overstate how much I get out of my fishing log. Not only does it help my fishing: it's just fun to read about past trips. I just wish I'd gone digital a lot earlier.

#10 · (Edited)
So after trying all the different apps, none impressed me. I went an bought myself one of the Rite in the Rain sets for myself, Urban Camo of course!. As I have a server at home I have my own "cloud" and this way, I don't have to worry about dropping it or getting it wet. As it is, smarts phones and I have a true love/hate relationship.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.