IFish Fishing Forum banner

Kwikfish setup

7K views 30 replies 15 participants last post by  Mark Vickers 
#1 Ā·
I'm wanting to hear some opinions on how you guys and gals setup your kwikfish rigs. I personally put my lead line on a swivel and slide it up my mainline. Then I slide a bead on and tie a swivel to the end of the mainline. Then I tie on the leader that runs to the kwik. This way my weight can slide if it gets hung in a botched net attempt(this never happens right :tongue:). What prompted me to post this however is I usually run a 4' leader and a 16-30" dropper but I have seen several posts lately stating they are using a 5' dropper and leader - in 12-15' of water :bigshock:. This is about the standard for me for fall fish in 50' but I've never used anything that far off the bottom for spring fish. I have to admit I haven't caught alot of spring fish though so I'm trying to soak up all the tips I can. Anybody want to share their setup with the group? Anyone fish with that long of a dropper? Anyone want to give me gps coordinates to their honey hole? Anyone know the next winning lottery numbers? I'd better stop there.... :laugh: :jester:. Take care all.

#5 Ā·
For me it depends on current speed and bottom contour. Faster current will generally cause the kwikie to dig a little more. A 'bumpy' bottom and you could end up in a trough with your kwikie out of sight if you are not careful about where you back bouce.

Personally I like a 30-42" dropper and a 5' leader in 90% of the water I hit on the Columbia while running kwikies. Just make sure your kwikie is doing the happy dance. :dance:

Remember its a balance between leader and dropper length. If you are using a short leader, you can get by with a much shorter dropper. Also if you are marking fish 2-4' off the bottom, lengthen your dropper as you may be underneath them. (or vice versa)

Its probably like anything else, everybody has their favorite setup. Go with what works for you. :wink:

#7 Ā·
I've been thinking alot of kwikfishing technique lately myself, especially backtrolling and trolling. I have a boat, but only taken it springer fishing once if I recall about three years ago, not having a clue what to do, so we anchored prawn/spinners in the current on the bottom - no bites. I love bobber fishing and drift fishinig for springers, so the boat fishing I'm still in the springer 101 course. I've had a boat since 1999, but I'm stubborn I guess, maybe spoiled, since bobber fishing for springers can be deadly. But now I work close to the Portland area, so I just can't skip over this opportunity to try the boat now.

If I have read ifish and STS correctly, in deeper water, springers will tend to run in the water column 12-20 feet, higher if water clarity is poorer. So this got me thinking.

If water clarity on a given day is 4.0 feet, and you want your kwikfish in the water column where the springers travel, you will want to be in the "ZONE", where the highest percentage of fish travel. If your fish finder is scoping fish on a particular day at 14-18 feet and clarity is 4.0 feet, you would want your kwikfish trolled or backtrolled at the 14 foot or so depth. This way, the springers in that water column will see your bait all the way down to the 18 foot level. By adding a sardine wrap with added scent, you would target those inside and outside the "ZONE" range.

HMMMMMMMMMM.......... I'm going to try this on Saturday for the FIRST time with my boat. We'll see how soon I graduate to springer 201. :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash:

This smily looks like how a kwikfish should look in the water> :yay: <but faster. :cool:

What do you experienced kwikfishers think? Or do I need to go back and take the quiz again, teacher? :bigshock:

SKP :grin:

#8 Ā·
Oh, I forgot to mention the pages in the April Salmon, Trout, Steelheader magazine.

Very specific kwikfish information - Page 72 (you'll find some of our very own ifishers in this article).

Other Willamette and Columbia springer setups - Page 50 (This is a very good article also), which should be followed by an ifish search of Nanook's prawn spinner article, who has some great stuff.

Also, don't forget to do an ifish on pearl's springer techniques.

You'll be :smash: 'em soon.

SKP

#11 Ā·
I use a 4' dropper and a 5' leader.I tryed a 2' dropper today went back to 4' dropper thats the way I've fished for them the last three years.Figured it worked before it will work again.Is the April issue of STS out yet if it is I haven't got mine in the mail yet ???
Bob :wave:

#16 Ā·
Get Bent, I hate to argue :argue: with you, but ask Nanook and Steelie Steve how my kwikfish performed a couple of weeks ago :wink:!! After Nanook said, and I quote "that kwikfish won't catch anything" :noway:! Next thing you I know, he and SS were yelling fish on :bigshock:!! So, sometimes a spinner, and sometimes a kwikie or even a Wigglewart will do the job :eek:!!!

Dipnet :grin:

#17 Ā·
Get Bent! Spinners!! I'm going to have to place an order so I can get into em this fall! By the way thanks for your help today!

I generally run an arms length dropper in the spring. Sometimes a little more and sometimes a little less depending on bottom contour and the speed of the current. I think it is important to have the lure in front of, or above the fish rather than below it. I think anywhere in the 2.5 to 4' range for your lead dropper is fine for kwikfish. Good luck! :smile:

#19 Ā·
Yep, that's the way I am, me...me...me :grin:!! You know how much we appreciate all your help :flowered:, and I guess I'll try a worm next time :rolleyes:!! How do you get them to stay on your kwikie anyway???? And don't tell me to use that stinkin' stretchy thread :eek:!

Dipnet :grin:

#20 Ā·
I did a few illustrations in this month's STS magazine featuring the carrots, and it gives a good picture of how to rig up a Kwikfish. This works well and helps to prevent
tangles, especialy if you want to get back behind the boat a bit. Give it a shot, I rig them this way too and I like it alot. Now if I could just find some real time to put it to work! :depressed:
GBS

#22 Ā·
Just posting what I have confidence will work. This post is mainly about kwikfish, but Get Bent's spinners I know will also be deadly, as is Nanook's prawn spinner rig. Pearl's post about springer techniques is really awesome too!

I don't need any royalty checks, send them to Jennie. Ifish is all about sharing how to catch fish, and if it wasn't for Jennie having this site, we wouldn't have all this valuable info at our fingertips.

Saturday afteroon, I'm going to try out some of these techniques myself. Hopefully, some hatchery springers have made it past the nets, and it's not a zoo out there. I'm wanting to :smash: some chrome.

Wave if you see me in a 14 foot light green/blue Mirrocraft in the OC area in the afternoon. :wave:

SKP :grin:

#24 Ā·
GBS,

Did you guys do any good in that mini hog line you had set up Sunday?
I passed by in the Arima with the crab capture flag.
Got one above the 72 wingdam.
Fickle Pickle, about 30 " of lead line, about 5' of leader.
:wave: about that long.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.