IFish Fishing Forum banner

How to rig squid,sandshrimp for sturgeon?

13K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  tetra 
#1 Ā·
I searched but, didn't find an old post that showed a pic of someone's hook and wrap setup for sandshrimp for sturgeon. I think there was one for doing squid too. I have always been a smelt guy.. learned the way my Dad ties em up. Anyone care to share? I wanted to see how to rig squid, herring,sandshrimp..nightcrawlers.

Thanks,
MORC

#2 Ā·
http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=170612

His focus is for bobber fishing but he does mention how he does it for sturgeon.

For rigging bait fish/squid put the hook through the base of the head with the shank pointed to the tail (I turn the hook around for squid so the tenticals dangle) then use a series of half hitches up the body to secure the bait fish.

I'll snap some pictures and post this weekend if someone doesn't beat me too it.

#4 Ā· (Edited)
if you are using a whole squid put your hook through the top of the head and come out near the tentacles in the middle...then take you leader (Dacron) and half hitch to the tail of the squid...this is a great way to "tie on the bait" and makes it hard for them to take it off the hook...

shrimp...I take 1 to 3 shrimp (normally at least 2) and place the hook in the middle near the heads...you can even put the hook through the head of one of the shrimp if it is a bigger one...then I lay the shrimp parallel to the leader and us either stretchy thread or invisible thread and wrap the shrimp to the leader...just like you would wrap a sardine fillet to a kwikfish...this works great for keeping the shrimp on the hook...

before spinners and prawns were the rage for chinook...I used to take 2 to 3 sandshrimp and do this same thing on my "Spinner & Shrimp" rigs...killed em...this also works great on diver and baits when back trolling for steelhead..."Tying" the bait to the leader helps prevent easy loss of the bait...

On another note...I once ran out of bait on a killer bite and sorta "Freaked Out" but only for a split second...I took Smelly Jelly Shrimp Scent and drenched portions of a rag that I cut up...rigged the "Rag" on the line with the scent and proceeded to catch just as many fish as I did with the reel bait...

I am seriously going to give "BERKLEY GULP IN THE 3" SHRIMP" a try for both sturgeon and steelhead...they are durable...and you can re-use them...just put them back in the brine they came in and the will re-absorb the scent...cheaper in the long run if it works than "real" bait...:twocents:

#5 Ā· (Edited)
I made the video you saw and I can tell you that is how I use them for gators but there are a few things to consider. First off rigging a srimp this way on a barbless hook is easy but the fish get them off as easy.

I wish I could get Gama to make an octopus with bait holder bards on the back....

IM lazy so I do use the method anways and just buy lots of shrimp for the day.

You can cover the tip with a nightcrawler if you want but I just let the bait hang in the belly of the hook as shown on the video..

I fished with squid ALOT as a youngster for bat rays and leopard sharks and we always just put those on the same way everyone rigs they chovys for gators. hook in the top and halfhitch the bait...........REMEMBER to use a LOOOO000ooong home made leader for halfhitching big baits

To see vieo of how to hook and halfhitch a bait, click here..
http://www.smallstreamsalmonfishing.com/movies/shortreels/sranchrigwmv08.wmv

And if you want the full sturgeon fishing video I shot with Kevin Newell,,....go here....20 some other videos also http://www.smallstreamsalmonfishing.com/sssfpages/movies.html

#6 Ā·
like the guys said above. Matts way is hands down my favorite and keeps the bait ON!!!!!! I make sure to pull the shrimp over the hook eye onto the leader keepin the shrimp in a straight line with the leader and mainline. It allows for one heck of a long lob cast. I hate stretchy string

#8 Ā·
like the guys said above. Matts way is hands down my favorite and keeps the bait ON!!!!!! I make sure to pull the shrimp over the hook eye onto the leader keepin the shrimp in a straight line with the leader and mainline. It allows for one heck of a long lob cast. I hate stretchy string
Yea exactly. and then you can put a nightcrawler half on the hook if you do it that way.......I preffer that way as long as LARGE shrimp can be found : )

#11 Ā·
Sometimes I like to get the best of both worlds. Take a smelt, cut it up the belly, stuff it with a sandshrimp or two then wrap it up with ghost thread, then put on leader like normal.

#12 Ā·
30 - 45 # nylon coated wire leader. Leave a small tag end after crimping sleeve on hook end, then hook up shrimp as in Matthewc's video. The tag end acts as a barb to hold the shrimp in place. Place a flemish eye on the other end of the leader and you're good to go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.