IFish Fishing Forum banner

If I was going to buy a high-end salmon reel...

• I would prefer a right-hand retrieve

Votes: 112 30.9%
  • I would prefer a left-hand retrieve

Votes: 238 65.6%
  • I would not purchase a high-end salmon reel

Votes: 13 3.6%

Left-hand vs. Right-hand Retrieve

22K views 134 replies 81 participants last post by  K7drifter 
#1 Ā· (Edited)
This is a bit like beating a dead horse (because I've seen threads asking the same question before); however, I'd like to get some polling data on it.

Real simple: if you were going to purchase a high-end salmon reel (like a Tekota, for example), would you prefer a right-hand or left-hand retrieve?

This poll assumes that you would actually purchase a "High-End" salmon reel if it was available, so, if you wouldn't buy one, even if it was available, please choose the third option.

RW

#42 Ā·
Guy at Fisherman told me last week Takota is coming out with a left hand in the 600 series next year for a higher price. I prefer left handed, but have 3 right hand Takota and left hand 5 Abu's... Taken a bit, but I'm becoming more comfortable with right hand...

#44 Ā·
I am a righty and all my reels are left handed. It could be that, as someone else mentioned, I started fishing with spinning gear and it feels more natural to reel with the left, but it is not just reeling, it is also feeling the bite, setting the hook and fighting the fish, all which are much more effective for me with my dominant hand on the rod.

#49 Ā·
i've never been able to reel that well on a baitcaster with my left hand. i can do it, but prefer the right handed retrieve. just the opposite with a spinning reel. i think it has something to do with the larger cranking radius.

these kind of threads have always amused me. the lefties sure get defensive, claiming that right-handers are doing it wrong, etc. i couldn't care less what hand anyone else reels with...the way i do it works for me.

#52 Ā·
I hope folks aren't confused by the simplicity of the question. For answering, you're supposed to assume that either a lefty or righty reel IS available - meaning you have complete choice on which one YOU would PREFER to buy.

The worst part is that we've had over 1,200 views, but very few people are actually making a selection on the poll - tough to make any determinations when there's a possibility of a selective-answering bias.

So, come on folks, make your selections, even if you think it's stupid and doesn't matter :what:.

RW

#53 Ā·
I'm surprised to hear someone say cranking a reel handle takes coordination - really you can't make your non-dominate hand go around in circles holding on to something that only goes around in circles :shrug:

#54 Ā·
You would think it was that easy, but, as I suggested earlier, if you take a rod that is completely fixed in place and have people reel both left-handed and right handed, they will reel smoothly with one and, usually, look like they are having a seizure with the other. At best, they are uncomfortable reeling with the other hand. If reeling didn't take a decently high level of coordination, it wouldn't be a noticeable issue.

Now, holding the rod in one hand or the other doesn't require that complex of movement - ideally your forearm is just moving up and down, possibly change angles.

The proof is in the pudding: people are generally more comfortable switching the rod-holding hand than they are switching the reel-cranking hand --> because cranking the reel, as simple as it seems, requires more balance, stabilization, and coordination than holding the rod / controlling the fish.

See the post by eyeFISH below for a more detailed explanation...

After trying both formulations throughout my life on a large variety of combinations, I'm surprised to hear people deny that reeling takes more coordination. Granted...I've seen many folks who look awkward when reeling regardless of what hand they use.

RW

#62 Ā·
Left hand all the way as mentioned above! For high end left hand reels the Calcutta TE 401 and the Diawa Luna 300L are good choices, those are what graces my rod holders. If Tekota's were to be made in a left hand version I would definitely pick some of them up!

#69 Ā· (Edited)
I can control the rod, set the hook, and fight the fish equally well with either either hand, but I am FAR more comfortable (and coordinated) reeling with my dominant hand.

With salmon, I generally use both hands to set the hook anyway. How often do you set the hook on a salmon with one hand on the rod?

RW

#71 Ā·
Ok, here's a question for those of you whom choose to use their dominate hand to go "round and round"....

Do you ever fish without your rod in a holder? In other words, do you fish in a way that sensitivity comes into play? 99% of my salmon and steelhead fishing is drift fishing, therefore sensitivity is of the utmost of importance. There have been days in Alaska, and even here in Idaho, when my wrist is roached, and my hand grows GI Joe's "kung-fu grip". I've tried using my off-hand, and have hooked a few fish that way, but there is no comparison in dexterity, strength, and sensitivity.

As insinuated by several others, if sensitivity is of no concern, then by all means use your dominate hand to go round and round...

#72 Ā·
Ok, here's a question for those of you whom choose to use their dominate hand to go "round and round"....

Do you ever fish without your rod in a holder? In other words, do you fish in a way that sensitivity comes into play?
Yes. I can fish productively both ways, but I choose to reel with my right (dominant) hand because I am better coordinated with that hand. The nerves - used to "sense" - work just as well in my left hand as they do in my right.

RW

#80 Ā·

Do you ever fish without your rod in a holder? In other words, do you fish in a way that sensitivity comes into play? 99% of my salmon and steelhead fishing is drift fishing, therefore sensitivity is of the utmost of importance. There have been days in Alaska, and even here in Idaho, when my wrist is roached, and my hand grows GI Joe's "kung-fu grip". I've tried using my off-hand, and have hooked a few fish that way, but there is no comparison in dexterity, strength, and sensitivity.

As insinuated by several others, if sensitivity is of no concern, then by all means use your dominate hand to go round and round...
I do drift fishing is my favorite way to fish and I'm right handed and reel right. I've never had a problem setting the hook or playing a fish with my left arm.

#74 Ā·
I prefer rh cranks since that is what I grew up with. My Shimano leverdrags are all right hand cranks, have no problem with fighting a fish no matter on what size it is. If you really have the need to reel on the left side, turn the rod down like a spinning rod and reel backwards. Seems to work for the other doughballs:whistle:

I would buy the Shimano's since they have absolutely the best drags on the market. And I would get leverdrags because once it is discovered that they are far more efficient and glorious to use, that fisherman will never be satisfied with a star drag. Quality drags and terminal tackle are far more important that what stick you use for a rod.

#76 Ā·
This topic is kind of fun, although fairly irrelevant since each person will choose for themselves and that is OK. I do find the comments about bass fisherman amusing. I lived in Texas for years and fished a lot of bass, all right handed. When you are constantly casting, you want your strongest hand doing it. Then you want your most coordinated hand reeling in order to best control the pace for different lures. To do both requires a switch after casting. For all of you who seem to think this is difficult, it's smooth and easy. Believe it or not, bass fisherman do it hundred of times a day, and often have to react quickly when a bass hits right after the lure hits the water. If this somehow was the wrong way to do things, I think a few million bass fisherman might have figured it out by now.

#85 Ā·
I'm right handed and use a right hand crank. I dont lose many fish. I am in the habit of adjusting the star drag at times during the fight. Sometimes, I have the drag light and use my thumb to control the fish. That would be harder to do with a left hand crank.

Just boils down to personal preference.

Also, if you are using lots of weight, as in Halibut fishing, and you are right handed, no way my left hand/wrist is strong enuff to crank up 32 oz or more of lead from 400 feet several times a day. My right forearm gets rather stiff as it is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.