IFish Fishing Forum banner

If I was going to buy a high-end salmon reel...

• I would prefer a right-hand retrieve

Votes: 112 30.9%
  • I would prefer a left-hand retrieve

Votes: 238 65.6%
  • I would not purchase a high-end salmon reel

Votes: 13 3.6%

Left-hand vs. Right-hand Retrieve

22K views 134 replies 81 participants last post by  K7drifter 
#1 Ā· (Edited)
This is a bit like beating a dead horse (because I've seen threads asking the same question before); however, I'd like to get some polling data on it.

Real simple: if you were going to purchase a high-end salmon reel (like a Tekota, for example), would you prefer a right-hand or left-hand retrieve?

This poll assumes that you would actually purchase a "High-End" salmon reel if it was available, so, if you wouldn't buy one, even if it was available, please choose the third option.

RW

#93 Ā·
163 views but only 34 votes. Unfortunate that we can't get more participation on these polls - sure would up the validity a whole bunch! :pray:

RW

I can't vote, there's no option for the ambidextrous.

#5 Ā·
The best reels don't come in left hand or have lever drags unless we dump a wad on a small Avet. I don't consider them much of a salmon reel but they are something a person can live with. I've got two but have never tried them for salmon. Might give one a try.

#17 Ā·
My favorite salmon reel is a blue Avet MXJ. Smoothest piece of equipment I've ever owned. Lever drags are THE BEST for running downriggers, especially if you're running lots of gear. I run a Shimano Charter Special, too, but it isn't nearly the reel that the Avet is.

I go left with spinning and right with casting.
Yup. Me too. And right with a fly reel, which is a habit I wish I hadn't formed.

#7 Ā·
Left hand all the way if they have it available. I would even be willing to pay a little extra if it was offered but at a slight increased cost. Right hand retrieve people are freaks and just don't know better or just plain stubborn
:flowered:

#10 Ā·
I'm not surprised right now that more people have voted for LH reels. Everyone I fish with uses left hand.

I think that the whole idea behind RH reels is because most bass anglers use RH, so companies must feel for some reason that most people across the board use RH.

I never understood why bass anglers cast with their right hand, then switch the rod to their left hand. Seems counterproductive to me.

#12 Ā·
I sent Shimano several emails last year asking if they were planning on making the Tekota in a left hand retreive... the guy told me that I'm right handed so I should reel with the right:doh:

I finaly broke down and bought two Tekotas anyway so I guess he won the battle after all:palm: The only two right handed reels I own other than plunking reels.

TZ

#15 Ā·
Naw. I think right hand retrieve is just traditional. Has nothing to do with bass fishing. I grew up in the 50's using a right hand casting reel around Portland for catfish, carp, crappie as well as bigger reels for salmon/steelhead. Right hand retrieve was just the way you fished with a casting reel. Everybody fished that way. At my advanced age, switching over to left hand is not an option.

I bet that old guys (over 60) (right OR left handed) mostly use a right hand retrieve.

I'm betting that right hand was traditional because in the early days, casting reels were knuckle busters that did not have a drag. So you had to switch your hand off the reel handle to put drag on the reel spool with your thumb and most people were right handed.

I seriously feel like I'm mentally challenged using a right hand reel. And I'm ambidextrous!

#18 Ā·
If you're right handed then you should want the rod in your right hand, and reel with your left. It doesn't take much to teach your off-hand how to go round and round. The "touch or "feel" should be in your dominate hand...

#19 Ā·
I've always felt that holding the rod was the easy / least-complex / least important aspect of fishing and that cranking the reel required far more coordination, which is why it's always odd to me to see someone reel with their non-dominant hand.

If all you're doing is standing there holding the rod while your other hand is reeling (actually moving), then why does holding the rod require the dominant hand? One would think that, in this scenario, folks who are right-hand dominant would reel much better with their right hands; yet, when we watch someone who claims right-hand dominance, yet reels lefty, and we see them try and reel with their right hand...they look like a one-legged midget stripper humping a donkey.

RW

#58 Ā· (Edited)
I've always felt that holding the rod was the easy / least-complex / least important aspect of fishing and that cranking the reel required far more coordination, which is why it's always odd to me to see someone reel with their non-dominant hand.

If all you're doing is standing there holding the rod while your other hand is reeling (actually moving), then why does holding the rod require the dominant hand? One would think that, in this scenario, folks who are right-hand dominant would reel much better with their right hands; yet, when we watch someone who claims right-hand dominance, yet reels lefty, and we see them try and reel with their right hand...they look like a one-legged midget stripper humping a donkey.

RW
I guess I should have been a bit more explanatory in my post.

If I want to to "feel" my drift, then I want to use my dominant, more coordinated hand, which is tied to my stronger arm. Not only do I have better "touch" in my right arm, but it is also stronger and thus allows me to set the hook more quickly, and with more power.

If I'm throwing bass gear, holding the rod while back-trolling, just cranking the reel, or other chores that don't require much dexterity :redface:, then I guess my left hand would do fine holding the rod. I laugh at the bass guys who cast right-handed, and then switch the rod to their left hand so they can reel. Seems like a bunch of wasted motion. Even while halibut fishing, my left arm would sissy out while fighting fish. On every fish I would be frustrated that I didn't have a left-hand retrieve reel so I could be fighting the fish with my power arm. I've got my left hand trained "reel" good to go round and round...

#20 Ā·
I am with Finaddict91 I go left handed spinning and right handed bait casting and I am left handed in most things but reel bait casters right, swing a hammer right, spin wrenches both ways guess I am ambidextrous. Besides left handed people are the only ones in their right minds.

#24 Ā·
Grant is right on the money!

RW, When I am fishing, I don't just "stand there with the rod in my hand" as you describe above. I cast, play fish, adjust depth, etc - all these tasks work better with the rod in the hand/arm which is most dominant. You do not want me anywhere near you if I try to do any casting with my left arm. So, folks that are right handed constantly play the dance that you described above IF they use right retrieve reels because they need to constantly transfer the rod back and forth from right to left hand. The rod will never leave your hand if you have a left retrieve reel.

Do a youtube search and watch any video and you will (may) see my point. Right handed guys using right retrieve reels switching back and forth because it is instinct to have the rod in the dominant hand. They don't even know they are doing it. Some of these same fellas even claim they prefer right retrieve reels but I can only assume it is because they have not used a lefty before. The thing I don't get is why do some guys want to transfer the rod from right hand to left if they don't need to?

Lastly, why do some folks use left retrieve reels for spinning and right for casting? It is simply tradition as far as I am concerned.

Avet, are you reading these threads? I haven't looked at them closely but the SX model may be a great salmon fishing reel with a level wind on it.

#28 Ā·
Grant is right on the money!

RW, seriously now my friend I am not trying to be rude here at all but I think you need to really think this through. When I am fishing, I don't just "stand there with the rod in my hand" as you describe above. I cast, play fish, adjust depth, etc - all these tasks work better with the rod in the hand/arm which is most dominant. You do not want me anywhere near you if I try to do any casting with my left arm. So, folks that are right handed constantly play the dance that you described above IF they use right retrieve reels because they need to constantly transfer the rod back and forth from right to left hand. The rod will never leave your hand if you have a left retrieve reel.
The point of my suggested exercise was to show that reeling takes more coordination than handling the rod, and the reason guys reel with one hand or the other is not because they prefer to "handle the rod with their dominant hand" - it's because they feel like monkeys reeling with the hand they feel less comfortable with. In other words, it's not that they are uncomfortable holding the rod in one hand over the other...they are uncomfortable reeling with one hand over the other.

Do a youtube search and watch any video and you will (may) see my point. Right handed guys using right retrieve reels switching back and forth because it is instinct to have the rod in the dominant hand. They don't even know they are doing it. Some of these same fellas even claim they prefer right retrieve reels but I can only assume it is because they have not used a lefty before. The thing I don't get is why do some guys want to transfer the rod from right hand to left if they don't need to?
I always hear this argument about "switching hands" but I've never experienced the inefficiencies that people are so afraid of. If I hold the rod in my right hand to cast and reel with my left, I have to bring my left hand up to the rod and grab it. It just happens to be on the reel handle. Now, if I hold the rod in my right hand to cast, but want to reel with my right hand, I have to bring my left hand up to the rod and grab it. This time, in stead of grabbing the reel handle, I just palm the reel / rod, and my right hand proceeds to reel. I don't see the inefficiency - at least not one that would keep me from utilizing my best coordination to my advantage.

Now, I tend to cast with both hands, but the placements and movements stay the same.

Above, you mentioned that you need your more coordinated arm to, "cast, play fish, adjust depth, etc." We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one, as it doesn't take much coordination to perform these actions with either hand.

RW

#25 Ā·
For the lefty reel advocates - I don't disagree with you, but you are fighting a huge uphill battle. I have fished my whole life, first in California, then Texas, as well as many other places on trips. I never heard of lefty reels until I got to the northwest. Just not something others use. Reel manufacturers know this, and just won't change for a small regional market.

#27 Ā·
This is a bit like beating a dead horse (because I've seen threads asking the same question before); however, I'd like to get some polling data on it.

Real simple: if you were going to purchase a high-end salmon reel (like a Tekota, for example), would you prefer a right-hand or left-hand retrieve?

This poll assumes that you would actually purchase a "High-End" salmon reel if it was available, so, if you wouldn't buy one, even if it was available, please choose the third option.

RW
hell I'm right handed and all my reels are left hand just works for me . mike

#29 Ā·
I am right handed and reel with my left hand.

Another advantage for me is with the rod in the rod holder at the back of the boat (I have 4' of Macatrac, that allows rod holders to slide across the back) it allows my fishing buddy who sits back on the opposite side of the doghouse to easily adjust my reel. With the handle being on the left, he can easily reel a few turns in if it's bumping bottom. Otherwise he would be climbing over the rod to try and turn the handle.

If Takota had left hand reels I would own (4) of them.

Jim

#39 Ā· (Edited)
I taught myself to swing both ways :wink: many years ago. You can learn fairly easily. When I'm crankin' or drift fishing, I'll keep one of each on the boat. When you are battling TUNA! it's nice to have a few of each to rest your arms. With practice you can have your cake and eat it!!!!

BTW - I was one who voted that I wouldn't spring for a "high-end " reel. There are a LOT of GREAT reels that will be work horses for YEARS without breaking the bank.

:twocents:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.